The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old January 20, 2005, 08:47 PM   #1
defjon

"Saturday night special" RG Industries .38 Special

Hey everyone. First off, I know there is a lot of brand bias around here towards name brands, but I'm a lowly poor college student and NIB Smiths, Rugers, etc are simply not in the cards for now. I know the RG Industries revolver is classified in that whole "saturday night special" spectrum, because its so goddamn cheap.

I've found one for under 100$, in great condition.

Now, I just want some honest input here. I know it isn't a name brand gun or built from the finest stuff around, but has anyone actually OWNED one?

Do they break easily? I would really like some firsthand accounts, not just bias against a gun that isn't 600 dollars. Does it go "bang" everytime is my biggest concern here.

The gun is a .38 special snubby, in great condition as I said. I know the frame is zinc-alloy, how does it hold up to firing? How many rounds before it busts, etc? I've read of a lot of people using the roscoes for years and still having them around, running fine.

Thanks in advance for help here!

Jon
Old January 20, 2005, 09:20 PM   #2
HighVelocity

I have never actually owned one but I have had experiences with the RG38.
I spent several years as a Range Officer and I saw 2 of these guns come apart.
Not only do you have to unscrew and remove the ejector rod to open the cylinder and manually push out each shell casing one at a time, the grips won't stay on.
Do yourself a favor and save your money. For less than $200 you could pick up a really nice Charter Arms or Rossi 38 and be much better off.

my .02
Old January 20, 2005, 10:15 PM   #3
JCM298

"I've found one for under 100$, in great condition"

Brand new, on the assemby line, at the factory, RG's are not in great condition.
They are junk,

John
Old January 20, 2005, 10:31 PM   #4
rodgers330

One of my very first handguns was a used RG .22. The web of my hand was bleeding after the first few shots due to lead spit from the poorly aligned cylinder and barrel cone. These guns are PURE ABSOLUTE JUNK that are dangerous. Rent a real gun at the range and save your money. For a little more than $200 you can find an old S&W Model 10 revolver that will last a lifetime.
Old January 20, 2005, 10:46 PM   #5
Matthew

Like everyone else said, you would be better off with something else. Armscor makes a decent little .38 in snub and 4", in the ballpark of $200. I've shot them and they aren't bad. Maybe even a Taurus. I still have a old Taurus .38 that has outlasted some of my S&W revolvers. You could fine a good condition Model 10 Smith, as was suggested, for a little more. It would be worth it. I'm not big on brands either. I still carry my 22yr old Taurus to work every day, because the thing still out performs $2,500 combat pistols.
Old January 20, 2005, 10:51 PM   #6
TheeBadOne

Junk, I agree. Had experience with a .22 LR. Lead spitter extraordinare. Avoid them, period.
Old January 20, 2005, 11:00 PM   #7
defjon

Thanks for the quick response guys, I'll save myself the trouble here...
Old January 21, 2005, 07:38 AM   #8
Hal

~ 100 bucks will buy you a Makarov.
Why fool around with a junker.
Old January 21, 2005, 09:58 PM   #9
Poygan

I had one...total junk. As someone else said, they weren't good coming off the production line. I think I sold it for $50 and considered myself forunate. And I didn't buy it, I sort of inherited it.
Old January 21, 2005, 10:11 PM   #10
drinks

Pistol

Defjon;
Gun Tests magazine was much less than complimentary about the Makarov.
It got a "Do not buy" rating from them, as I recall, trigger, feeding and accuracy were all unacceptable.
Don
P.S.; The CZ 52 got a "Conditional buy " rating.
Old January 21, 2005, 10:58 PM   #11
Jbar4Ranch

My RG57 in .45 Colt.

The upper shot is no illusion, the barrel on this thing actually veers off to the right a tad! Amazingly, it's suprisingly accurate and shoots to point of aim at 25 yards with a 200 grain SWC and 8.0 grains of Unique, go figure.

SASS 47015
Old January 22, 2005, 09:13 AM   #12
MADISON

"Saturday night special" RG Industries

My gunsmith, and i agree with him 100%, says that an "RG" gun stands for
Real Gun. That could be taken as...oh my goodness it's a Real Gun!!!
It is junk though.
Old January 22, 2005, 08:25 PM   #13
DEATHROW

I owned one. A .38. After taking it to the range and putting about ten rounds through it I was afraid to shoot it any more. The cylinder would not index to the barrel with any precision and the lead spatter was something to behold. Fortunately, It got stolen. I feel sorry for the thief. Would never own another.

Deathrow

All learning is painful
Old January 23, 2005, 01:33 AM   #14
texmex

I've owned a couple of RGs. They make good throw downs. You'd be better off spending your "less than $100" on a good quality knife. It won't jam and will never run out of bullets.

But in the end, I guess any gun is better than no gun. You just never know about the cheaper guns. Sometimes you get a good one and sometimes not. I bought a Llama 32 S&W Long revolver at a gunshow about 10 years ago for $35. I doesn't look bad but the grooves on the trigger will wear a blister on your finger if you shoot it very much. The cylinder gap is about the thickness of a half dollar. The barrel is at a kind of downward angle in relation to the frame. That thing will shoot all six rounds into a group you can cover with a coffee cup at 25 yards. At 10-15 yards my boys and I used to shoot the pears off a prickly pear cactus. I'm going to have to get around to grinding the grooves off the trigger one of these days.

I bought it because I wanted a cheap gun to leave in my truck. That way if someone stole it, I wouldn't be out much. I don't think I'd pay more than $25-$50 for an RG 38. That way if it doesn't work right, you can take it to a pawn shop and get at least half your money back. If you get lucky and get one that works, so much the better.
Old June 4, 2010, 10:34 AM   #15
pranke

saturday night special

i baught mine for 50 and it is a good gun but i will say the shell unloading is a pain in the ass i guess it just depends if you are lucky or not if you get a good on and the accuracy is **** but if you are looking for a defense gun it would be ok cus a 22 is enough to get them to back down with remmington thunderbolts and cci 22 long mine shoots great
Old June 4, 2010, 10:36 AM   #16
pranke

sorry

sorry i was not paying attetion to the rules i apologize for my language
Old June 4, 2010, 01:25 PM   #17
L_Killkenny

I've never owned an RG and only handled a couple. Most of the time I ignore interent banter about gun brands being junk and all that. But there isn't any debate over the RG's out there. If I found one free or really really cheap I may give one a whirl but I wouldn't spend my only $100 of gun funds for one. Want cheap and reliable? Get a Mosin Nagant. Want to spend a little bit more? Just about any of the eastern block countries had servicable semi's that would be money better spent.

LK
Old June 4, 2010, 02:00 PM   #18
73-Captain

Actually the joke about RG is that "RG" stands for ROTTEN GUN.

Problem is, this is NO JOKE. I can't think of a worse gun than the RG.

The quality of the RG guns is SO BAD, I would not fire one. My life, fingers and especially my EYES are way to valuable to waste on a truly dangerous product.

"I've found one for under 100$..."

Sounds like it is more than $100 over priced!

"...in great condition."

Of course it is, the previous owner although dumb for buying it, was not stupid enough to shoot it (at least not much)!!!

C.
Old June 4, 2010, 02:15 PM   #19
defjon

Uh...

Just so ya'll know, might want to check the date on the OP's post (mine).

Jan 2005.

Five years ago.

I'm STILL a lowly college (now GRAD) student, but I can do a little better than an RG .

Friends don't let friends thread-necromancy!
"Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is to tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same in any country.” -Hermann Goering at the Nuremberg Trials
Old June 4, 2010, 06:59 PM   #20
MADISON

RG saturdy night special

My gunsmith calls an RG a <"REAL GUN">.
I think the gun was delivered to Florida in parts. Then, assembled in the US.
The RG was a low quality handgun, available for years.
One of the nation's gun control bills put them out of business.
Old June 4, 2010, 07:33 PM   #21
WC145

Save up another hundred and buy one of these -
http://www.impactguns.com/store/4806015512837.html
- at least it's new and Armscor has a presence here in the states and makes a decent gun. They also make Rock Island Armory 1911's.

I wouldn't touch an RG anything. They're garbage.

NEVER MIND!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I just saw the date and the OP's new post. Guess I should be paying more attention.

So, Defjon, did you buy the RG or take everyone's advice and choose something else?
Old June 4, 2010, 10:56 PM   #22
KyJim

Yeah, it's an old post but I have to admit that the first handgun I owned was an RG .38 snubby complete with genuine plastic grips. I was moving to the "big" city to go to law school and it was all I could afford. I paid $50 for it. I shot it maybe a dozen times. Despite being fairly heavy, it had a heck of a felt recoil.

After graduating, I got a real handgun -- a SW Model 27. I sold the RG for $20 and felt guilty for selling it to someone.

Still, it reminds me that there was a place for the RGs, the Lorcins, and the Jennings. Even a poor student could afford something to defend himself. Today, there is still a place for lower priced guns that, fortunately, are of better quality than the RG, like Hi-Points.
Jim's Rules of Carry: 1. Any gun is better than no gun. 2. A gun that is reliable is better than a gun that is not. 3. A hole in the right place is better than a hole in the wrong place. 4. A bigger hole is a better hole.
Old June 5, 2010, 10:32 AM   #23
tenusdad

Had a RG 25 acp pistol many years ago. It was accurate and never jammed while I had it. Traded it off for a bow. The guy I traded it to left the clip loaded and the spring died. If you got your hand in the way of the slide on recoil it would cut your hand. Sometimes when it hit your hand it would activate a takedown lever and the slide would come off. If you found all the parts you could put it back on and go on shooting. For some sick reason I wish I still had that goofy pistol.
Old June 5, 2010, 06:37 PM   #24
defjon

Yeah, I never bought one.

I saved a bit more and with my fiance's help, back in 2005...five years ago....I got a duo-tone Bersa Thunder.

Flawless weapon!
"Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is to tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same in any country.” -Hermann Goering at the Nuremberg Trials
Old June 5, 2010, 11:32 PM   #25
Desert Rat

Get a S&W model 64 from J&G Sales. I got one a couple of weeks ago for $230. Sometimes they have them for as low as $199. Solid revolver that will last years.