The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old January 17, 2005, 10:06 PM   #1
Hawgleg44

Ruger P95DC

Anyone out there own one of these? I have the opportunity to buy one at a reasonable price which has had only a box of ammo through it. My father has a P85, and the P95 grip feels like a huge improvement.

I have several 9mm pistols, all S&W, but I'm always looking for a new toy to play around with. Anyone have any info on these, positive or negative, in terms of reliability (I know this one fed a box of Winchester Ranger SXT 115gr +P+'s fine) and durability?

Thanks.

It is important to keep in mind the ISP reports show that firearm related homicides decreased 56% from 1994 to 1998.

From 1998 to 2002, firearm related homicides increased 48%. During the same time, firearm related accidental deaths have increased 200%.

Will work for ammo.
Old January 17, 2005, 10:27 PM   #2
WillBrayjr

All Ruger firearms are over built for dependability. Running hot loads like +P and +P+ once and while won't hurt them. Just don't make a habit out of it.
Old January 17, 2005, 11:19 PM   #3
Sir William

My Ruger KP-95 DC in 9MM was a POJ. The decock lever broke and fell off. It was also a clunky and hard to fit in as a CCW pistol. I got rid of my KP-95 and my KP-97 Rugers.
Old January 17, 2005, 11:50 PM   #4
rogerwilco

Just bought one over the weekend at the local gun show ...NIB $249.00 couldn't pass it up. Very Nice Gun..I'm happy with it.
Old January 18, 2005, 02:15 AM   #5
SONICMASD

its nothing special, my roomate has one. i hate the mag release on it. but for the price you cant complain.
Old January 18, 2005, 08:48 AM   #6
cavediver27

I've had a KP95DC for 4 years as has my son. We've put 1,000's of rounds of various ammo through both of them with NOT ONE failure of any kind. They are accurate and the felt recoil is light. If you want a tough, well-built pistol that will not let you down I would go with one. FWIW, I have the ultimate faith in mine in that I keep it holstered and attached to the side bedrail (very slick set-up if I do say so) loaded with a factory 15 round mag of Speer Gold Dots.
Old January 18, 2005, 08:49 AM   #7
LeadPumper

P95dc

Well as always, YMMV.

That being said, I've had my P95DC for about two years and it has been only one of two bottomfeeders I've owned that haven't failed yet. (I say yet because it is a mechanical device that will 'eventually' fail.)

It is accurate enough for plinking, the trigger is good enough not to be annoying, the grip is small enough for even small hands (like mine, even though I put a Hogue Handall on it).

I like mine just fine, though I like my SIG's more.

The Ruger P95DC is 'good enough' at a low price. There are definitely better out there, but they do cost more.

-LeadPumper

THR
C&R FFL
NRA Patron Life Member
NRA Pistol Instructor
NRA Rifle Instructor
NRA Personal Protection Instructor
RSO
Old January 18, 2005, 11:55 AM   #8
Doug242ti

my p95dc has always functioned well. Not as smooth as my kimbers, SW's or HK but can't have everything right? It did smooth out considerbly after a few hundred rounds or so.

Last edited by Doug242ti; January 18, 2005 at 08:24 PM.
Old January 18, 2005, 02:17 PM   #9
papaone

Get it!

Mine runs without flaw. It was tested at Ruger with thousands of +p rounds through it and showed no real wear. It will out last Sig or Baretta even though these are great guns .
Old January 18, 2005, 02:22 PM   #10
Scorpion

Bought one for my GF a couple of years ago and she loves it. Has been completely reliable and fun to shoot. She also carries it as her CCW weapon of choice. I even put a Hi-Viz sight on it for better visiblity.

Ruger makes the best semi auto pistols for the money they charge. That said it's a personnal choice. If the price used is $250.00 or less that's a good deal.

RC
Old January 18, 2005, 02:42 PM   #11
Cobalt60

My father owns a P-89 and P-90, and I've shot them many times. I used to have a Blackhawk (regret trading that more than anything) 9mm/.357, and at this moment own a P-95D. My next purchase will be when I find a P90 like my dad's. I would rather purchase a Ruger than the majority of any other because I have never had one fail to eat any ammo I've put out for it. The only other handgun I own is an old S&W Model 10 in .38 Special that the wife has on her bedstand.

In otherwords, I like Ruger and recommend a purchase of anything they make.

Oh, yeah...Hi! First time to post here. Look forward to reaping the knowledge.
Old January 18, 2005, 02:43 PM   #12
Hawgleg44

Looks like I'll have to pick it up. It's well under the $250 mark, with 2-10 round mags and 3 factory 15-round mags. Now, I just need a few dollars more to get it, but he's holding it for me.

It is important to keep in mind the ISP reports show that firearm related homicides decreased 56% from 1994 to 1998.

From 1998 to 2002, firearm related homicides increased 48%. During the same time, firearm related accidental deaths have increased 200%.

Will work for ammo.
Old January 18, 2005, 03:32 PM   #13
9x19

You've made a wise decision, IMO.

The Ruger P-95 is the absolute best value on the market for a service size 9mm handgun.

All three of my sons began with a Ruger KP-95 as their first centrefire pistol... we never had a single malfuction or parts failure.
Old January 18, 2005, 03:57 PM   #14
denfoote

I've had one since '97.
It's still going strong after: "Gee, I've forgotten how many rounds!!"

I was wise enough to snap up all the standard cap mags for it that I could find. During the dark decade, it sustained my lust for 15 rounds at a pop!!
Arizona: Flush the Johns!!!
Old January 18, 2005, 04:45 PM   #15
TheeBadOne

Good buy
Old January 18, 2005, 04:51 PM   #16
timyarb

Have a P-95 manual safety

And I love it. Got mine new for $289 and it has been absolutely reliable and lots of fun to shoot.
Old January 18, 2005, 07:18 PM   #17
ionz45

have one and love it

I bought one the first year they came out and have loved it ever since. I also own some 1911's, some revolvers, and some plinkers but the KP95 still holds a place in my heart. I sold my G19 to a buddy of mine so I had the oportunity to compare the two at the range last weekend. IMO the ruger not only held it's own but out-performed the Glock. The patterns were tighter and on target(not that the Glock wasn't) but when you factor in the money I spent (remember the Glock used to be mine) the Ruger surpasses the Glock. The DA trigger takes some getting used to, but the SA is very crisp. In case anyone is wandering why I sold the Glock, it was to buy a Colt 1911 series 70 nickel finish (the love of my gun life). I do not own any hi-cap magazines but would like to find some. Anybody have any idea where to get some. Just my 2 cents.

Live Free, Love Life
Old January 18, 2005, 08:09 PM   #18
Apple a Day

I got one a few months ago and have several hundred rounds through it. No problems whatsoever. For that price I'd grab another one for sure.
Old January 18, 2005, 09:27 PM   #19
Hawgleg44

I'm mostly into S&W autos, and almost all DAO at that. I have a 5943, 3953 and 6946. I still have a 4506 since I haven't found a DAO version to trade it for yet. And, the Sigma Series is as close to perfection when it comes to ergonomics and reliability that I've found. At this time, I have 5 of them in 3 calibers. I did the 1911 thing for a while, but I sold or traded all 4 of them. I've done so much trading, it would take me most of the night to remember all I've had since I've turned 21!

Lately, I've been starting to go the Ruger route. I've had 3 Vaquero's in the past, but they are all gone. Also, a 4-4/8" .357mag SS Blackhawk that I wish I never let go, and an Old Model S. Blackhawk. I've always wanted a .30 Carbine Blackhawk, so I just picked one of those up, along with a new MKIII. After I get this P95DC, I think my next purchase will have to be a 3-1/4" SP101. I never shot a DA Ruger revolver before since it's been all S&W for me, but I tried my friend's out and loved it. I found the size right between the S&W J and K-frame, which is ideal for concealed carry, for me anyway.

I wouldn't say I'm getting away from S&W's by any means, but I'm just branching off to Ruger, too. The way I see it, I can pick up this P95DC and play with it a little. If it turns out that it's just sitting in the safe while I take my S&W's to the range, I know I can get my money back out of it, or trade it for another S&W. But, as well as Ruger has been treating me, I just have to give the 9mm a try.

Will work for ammo.