The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old January 19, 2005, 06:10 PM   #1
nandoaqui

Officer Down - Molly Bowden

Copied from HKPRO.com
-------------------------------
Some of you have read about our officers who were shot last Monday. One on a car stop, Molly Bowden, and one 10 hours later, Curtis Brown, in the arm, on attempted apprehension.

Well it appears clearer now, that Molly is going to survive, but even though I am perhaps being premature here, there is great likelihood that she will remain paralyzed from the neck down, from a neck shot that did significant spinal cord damage.

She is 26, folks.

She and her husband, Corey, also a Columbia, MO police officer, have been married about a year. They live in a small trailer and were in the process of buying land to build a house.

There is a local groundswell of support, the likes of which we have never seen before.

Well, I happen to have this website. And I have more than 11,000 very close friends.

You have helped me and this site before, when I asked. I have asked twice. Once to help Corporal JJ, our beloved Marine moderator, when he was battling cancer. We sent money to him from you that allowed him to buy back some HKs that he had to sell from that ordeal.

And once, I asked you to help purchase a server for the boards, which were chronically bad for a long time.

Now I REALLY need your help, for someone in dire need on a much larger scale. There is much need in the world, and terrible tragedy of such magnitude that are hard to comprehend. (Tsunami)

And there are small tragedies, that forever alter the dreams of a young police officer of a life with her husband, and a future family, a simple life together.

Well, she has a family, larger, much larger than her own. She has a family of brothers and sisters who number about 150 in the police department, about 100,000 in the city of Columbia, and who knows how many, on the Internet?

A foundation has been established for monetary contributions. It is called the Columbia Police Foundation Officer Down Fund. I am going to provide an address here for you to contribute, generously I hope.

I am going to provide relevant links for you, so that you can know more about this story and perhaps donate. I want you to donate directly to the foundation. I don't want a dime sent to me. And my sincerest hope is that you will write something to her, expressing your hope and support, from all over the planet, along with your financial support.

All of you fellow cops out there will lead the charge, I hope, keep this thread high up on the forums. I am going to create a special forum just for her soon.

This is a link to the orignal story about the shootings:
First Columbia Daily Tribune Article

There are several followup stories, that I will post, but that will come later, as I create the forum.

Officer Curtis Brown has been released from the hospital. Although the fund is for him as well, he has indicated publicly and privately that SHE is the one who needs the money.

MANY of you are new to these boards, and have no seeming connection to me or to this HKPRO family. This site is free, and the information is plentiful. I hope that you can dig deep for Molly, and though a contribution of $5 is greatly appreciated, I am hoping that you can see fit to give $50 or more. And hope that those of you with significant means can give even more.

I truly consider this, my internet family, with all the support you have given me for this website over the years.

Thank you certainly will not cover whatever you can do, but it is my hope that my brothers (and sisters) at HKPRO will come through for my sister in blue, and her family in her time of significant need.

YOUR FULLY TAX DEDUCTIBLE Contributions and well wishes should be sent to :

Columbia Police Foundation Inc.
Officer Down Fund
Attention: Officer Terri Marki
600 East Walnut
Columbia, MO 65201

If you want, you can also use your Paypal account to have them cut a check for you and send straight to the foundation!

Thank you again,

Tom Dresner
HKPRO.COM

-------------------------------
Alex
Old January 19, 2005, 07:02 PM   #2
tyme
Staff

http://www.policeone.com/policeone/f...sline&id=95611

More background, though I haven't found anything that identifies the reason for the traffic stop, other than "routine." Did Ms. Bowden radio it in? It seems that Rick Evans was a psychopath, so the reason for the traffic stop and his possession of marijuana didn't contribute to the motive. It would still be nice to know.

At least we can be thankful that Rick Evans didn't know how to shoot, and wish for Ms. Bowden's recovery.