The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old January 17, 2005, 06:32 PM   #1
Bass Man

turret/progressive presses

Does a Dillon at500 and other turret presses reload as accurate ammo as a single stage? A co-worker doesn't believe they will, he thinks the produce ammo that is not as concentric.
Old January 17, 2005, 06:44 PM   #2
Cazach

I have used both single stage (10 years) and progressive presses (8 years) and have found that it all comes down to the user. Either one is only as consistent as the person operating it.

Both have their goods and bads, but I prefer the progressive for speed and ease of use and have not seen any variation in the performance of the finished rounds.
Old January 17, 2005, 10:46 PM   #3
GLK

I would bet that the number of competition shooters using Dillion presses is way up there. Now the BR shooters may be a different story.
Old January 18, 2005, 12:06 AM   #4
rwilson452

press choices

Most BR shooters I know use a single stage press. the big reason is that when using a progressive press your dropping powder by volume. the BR shootist i know weigh very charge every bullet. Extreme care is taken to make every round exactly like every other round. Shooting a 3" group at 300 yards requires a good deal more exactness that shooting a 3" group at 25 yards. pleease note a 3" group at 300 yards in BR will not take home the bacon. consistantly shooting 3" groups in IDPA or IPSC will. apples and oranges.
Old January 18, 2005, 02:17 AM   #5
Guy B. Meredith

A single stage press might provide more consistency between rounds or it might not. With my Hornady Lock-N-Load AP I have measured loads at different points and they tend to be dead on weight wise. This does depend on the powder. I have given up doing more than the preliminary weighing for setup and one or two check weighings to double check. Just too consistent.

There are a number of other factors that are considered in BR reloading that would take place off the press--considerable quality control checks on case, etc.
Old January 19, 2005, 11:37 AM   #6
Jailbirdwatcher

Ask your friend why he thinks ammo loaded on a progressive would be less concentric? Actually, ask him what he means by concentric. There should very little difference in ammunition loaded on either type of machine, if proper care is taken. I have used both for many years. A Lee Pro 1000 (very inexpensive progressive machine) and a RCBS Rock Chucker single stage unit (industry standard). I do not participate in competetive shooting, but I fire quite a few rounds annually so you can assume my level of expertise. I can not tell the difference between ammo loaded on either my progressive or my single stage machine. However, when I began handloading with the Lee Pro, I did destroy a few cases until I got the feel of the machine. I have never damaged any cases with the single stage press.
Old January 21, 2005, 08:30 PM   #7
dick_tracy1953

I've only used a single stage press and except for pistol cartridges I hand weight each charge. I'm thinking about getting a progressive and set it up for 38 specials. I do own a Mec progressive but my friend has been loading with it for a year. I'd like to get it back and load my own shot shells. Are Dillon presses the only way to go qualitywise.
Old January 21, 2005, 08:52 PM   #8
Robert M Boren Sr

Dillon's makes a fantastic product and back it with a no BS warranty. You know what, they really stand behind it, your fault or not. I have yet to find one that good out there. As far as quality ammo, Cazach hit it right on the head. Being smooth and direct with the handle movement is what helps make the accuracy of a round. It takes lots of practice, the more you load the more you shoot. That what makes the whole thing fun.
Old January 21, 2005, 09:00 PM   #9
Nnobby45

RWilson42

Bite your tongue. All BR shooters do not weigh every powder charge. They are careful about verifying their powder measure to make sure it's where they want it before a shooting session, but these fellows reload their cases right at the bench during the match. If you watch them, you'll see that they are very meticulus about operating the powder dispenser exactly the same each time--- but weighing each charge they do not. No need to.

Now if you're talking about producing larger volumes of match ammo at home, then they may indeed load from the scale and trickle in the exact charge, especially if using IMR extruded powders. I load my hunting ammo that way.

Even so, to see a difference in hunting loads at a hundred yds, from a big bore rifle, you'd need better than a half grain difference from the norm. You could have as much as a full grain difference between the high and the low, and not likely be able to tell.