The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Harley Nolden Memorial Institute for Firearms Research

Old November 14, 2010, 10:04 PM   #1
brownie 5407

Riverside Arms Pump Shotgun

I have a Riverside Arms 12ga pump shotgun with a serial #11151 B stamped behind the trigger guard. The barrel is stamped proof tested 12ga. I am interested in the age of this gun and if it is chambered for 3 inch shells

Thanks for any help you can offer.
Old November 14, 2010, 10:20 PM   #2
RJay

Once upon a time there was a Riverside Arms Co. But going by Memory ( sometimes a bad thing ) they folded around the turn of the last century. Stevens then used Riverside as a trade name for their less expensive shotguns prior to WW2. 3 inch shells? I don't think so. It was manufactured prior to their being such an animal. I don't think I would have it opened up to 3 inch shells because of the age and also because it was never made for that type of pounding. They may not feed properly with out work, but that I don't know for a fact. JMHO 2 3/4 will do everything a 3 inch will do for most uses, I wouldn't even worry about using 3 inch. Could be wrong, been wrong before
Old November 15, 2010, 10:31 PM   #3
brownie 5407

Riverside Arms Pump Shotgun 12ga

Thank you for the info. I also doubted the gun would have been chambered to handle 3" shells. What prompted my question was the guns tendancy to jam with 2 3/4" shells. I think a trip to the gunsmith is my next effort. I don't intend to hunt with this gun but do want a reliable home defense gun. Thanks again for your response.