The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old January 4, 2005, 10:07 PM   #1
Johnsdav

Rem 597 HB Feeding Problems!

I'm new to this forum and have already browsed around looking for solutions to the feeding problem on my brand new Remington 597 HB in .22LR. I see that I'm not alone. I even have one of the newer metal (magnesium alloy?) ones that is supposed to solve the problem. I'm preparing to contact Remington to see what they can do for me, but I don't want to get rid of the gun. It shoots great. While looking around, I noticed at MidwayUSA, they have a 597 10-round magazine in "steel blue". The pic looks different than mine and I just wondered if this is an even newer fix for this problem. If anyone out there has any ideas about this magazine or how it works, please let me know. Thanks.
Old January 5, 2005, 02:21 AM   #2
tintcutter

I had both the 22lr and the 22 magnum. I finally just sold them. I feel good about it too.
Old January 5, 2005, 11:14 AM   #3
Jseime

I have a 597SS

My SS version of your rifle shoots incredibly well but also doesnt like to feed very well some solutions that i found work is to replace the magazine every 1000-1500 rounds or to load only 7 or 8 rounds at a time. i havent had trouble with the gun other than that so try a few things before you sell it
Old January 5, 2005, 04:20 PM   #4
m0ntels

I thought the stovepipes were part of the design. LOL. It did shoot very nicely but it was just a constant PITA. Ended up taking what I could get for it in trade towards my Blackhawk. I stand by my choice.

Randy
Old January 5, 2005, 05:59 PM   #5
keens

I have also heard of serious problems with these guns not feeding...and a friend having trouble getting his $$ back from Wallyworld...he FINALLY did and then got the RIGHT semi-auto 22...The Ruger 10/22. BTW the guy at Walmart told him that he "some of these Remingtons back, but never the Ruger"...that should tell us all something. His Ruger shoots like it should (so does mine). For a semi-auto .22 it is my first choice.
Never had a problem with my Model 700's though. FWIW the 710 should cause Remington some serious embarrasment. It may make a good boat paddle if it was shaped a little different.
Old January 5, 2005, 08:55 PM   #6
JohnKSa
Staff

Friend of mine bought one. He went through the new magazine dance, the new ejector dance and finally just resigned himself to an unreliable rifle. It is very accurate when you can get a round downrange.

Seems like his works ok if he limits the number of rounds he loads in the magazine. Can't remember the limit he uses.
Old January 7, 2005, 01:32 PM   #7
FirstFreedom

I'm wondering why they felt the need to run with the apparently ill-conceived design when they already have a semi-auto - the 552 speedmaster. I guess just to have a detachable mag gun.....what year did the 597 come out, anyhow?
Old January 7, 2005, 02:28 PM   #8
USAlx50

Your going to get a lot of negative responses here about he 597, but your problems can be fixed if you are willing to put very little effort into it.

The 597 mag's main problem is it comes with a spring that is too weak. the spring from a S&W 22s pistol mag is a perfect fit but twice the length so its good for 2 597 mags. You can get these from brownells. This spring takes 4 pounds of pressure to compress instead of the 2 lbs in the factory spring.
Besides this filing down a little of the outside edges of the plastic follower in the mag just enough so it freely drops into the mag also helps but the spring is the main fix.

call remington and complain about the mag and they should send you a new one to fix up also

I got my 597 brand new for 100$ (noticably cheaper then a 10/22) and it shoots better then many "tinkered with" 10/22s. I like the feel of it much better, I like the stock a lot more (except for ugly grey color).

go search the remington forums on rimfirecentral.com and research the 597, theres a lot of good stuff there.
Old January 7, 2005, 02:40 PM   #9
tintcutter

USAlx50

Did the capacity change in the mag or did you cut the spring, and if so how much did you cut off? I called Wolf springs but at the time the knowledge of spring change was not available.
Old January 7, 2005, 02:52 PM   #10
USAlx50

This was just something someone on rimfirecentral.com came up with while experimenting after cleaning his 22S pistol mag.

basically just find the right number of springs or coils to match the 597 spring and cut the 22S spring there (halfway down the spring). You can reliably load 10 rounds in the mag after doing this. check out the link below for better instructions.

this is an awesome link with a list of fix's and ways to make your 597 shoot lights out------> http://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums...ghlight=sticky
Old January 10, 2005, 09:25 PM   #11
Johnsdav

Thanks for the info. I'll research the rimfire central link. I had a Rem 552 BDL Speedmaster and it fed short and long rile ammo reliably, but the accuracy was not on-par with the 597 HB. That was just my experience, however. It is a beautiful looking gun, though. I traded it for the 597 HB. I'll just be happy when I can get the 597 to feed properly.
Old February 5, 2005, 07:57 PM   #12
Jseime

theyre fixed

remington redesigned the mags so i hope you get to try out the new ones before you get rid of the gun if its not too late. the biggest difference visually is a ring around the 10 on the side. i hear its like a whole new gun
Old February 5, 2005, 11:17 PM   #13
Doug242ti

John, I got replacement springs from SW (thanks to Rimfire Central's link) for mine and it did indeed cure it. Now that Remington has finally gotten around to fixing the mags that would probably work too.

Though, the springs are 1.50 or so, the mags are probably more
Old February 6, 2005, 07:37 AM   #14
handwerk

rem 597

I have also had the same feeding problems. I called remington, they said send in the old mags and they will replace them with new ones with the #10 in a circle on the side. I did, so far so good.