The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old December 30, 2004, 05:37 PM   #1
pinkfloydman

Bad news for me...good laugh for you

This is a little hunting story but trust me...its worth reading...

A couple nights ago i was goin out for my afternoon hunt(live in mass so its 2 to sundown which is roughly 4:45) so i got upon a nice ridge and sat down with my muzzleloader...the deer trail was right below me so i thought it would be some good huntin...but there is a foot of snow and a chill blast of air so i soon relized it wasnt worth it...so about 20mins before sundown i got up and walked out...on my way out i saw tons of track and sign all over this paintball course...so i followed it and thought i would set up on the ridge the next morning...so i took the cap out of my gun and went to sleep...

Next moring i got out very late...8:30 so i rused into the ridge...but i didnt check my gear...so i was only there for about 10 mins when these 2 twin bucks come down the far ridge...they got closer and cloaser and isaw they were little 4 pointers and they were plenty fat so i decied to set up ready to take one...I aimed it was gonna be a 30 yard shot with no wind...BANG! THe sound was too quit and i did see no deer on the ground...but a did see 2 deer looking at me and my powder didnt ignite...so i poped out the cap as quit as icould and put in another one...BANG! same quit cap but the deer didnt move...so i reloaded another cap hoping this one would work...BANG! nothing and then i saw the front ones tail go up and them trott out...

So i packed up my gear and went home to relize my powder turned to liquad becuase i got snow i nthe barrel the night before...and ive been at that same are for the past 2 morning and after noons and i havnt found those deer yet...

so remmber jsut becasue its an inline muzzleloader...it aint gonna shoot like a rifle...
Old December 30, 2004, 07:31 PM   #2
MeekAndMild

Ah, Pink, I feel for you!
In a few years when the dust finally clears and people start counting their change there is a pretty good chance that President Obama may become known as The Great Absquatulator. You heard it first here on TFL.
Old December 30, 2004, 09:21 PM   #3
FirstFreedom

Ahhh, Geez O.P that stinks! Did you have electrical tape over your muzzle? If not, be sure to do that. Also, IINM, I believe Hodgden Triple 7 pellets are more moisture resistant than BP or Pyrodex.
Old December 31, 2004, 08:54 AM   #4
Greybeard

Some drug stores sell the minature condom-looking things, I think called "finger cots". I've used before over muzzles and successfully shot thru them. Especially helpful on guns with real long barrels.

They cost about a dime each. More than worth it sometimes though when questioned by a dude who has not seen before to be able to say, "Here, go ahead and take a couple. They are probably about your size."
Old December 31, 2004, 10:23 AM   #5
FirstFreedom

Quote:
They are probably about your size.
LOL! Good idea, but electrical tape is much cheaper...
Old December 31, 2004, 11:26 AM   #6
Picher

Yeah, and if you use electrical tape, you won't get a shock if your muzzle happens to touch an electric fence.

BTW, I know a guy who, many years ago, leaned his old shotgun against an electric fence when taking a whiz. He looked over at the gun after zipping up and saw smoke coming out the muzzle. In those days, we used paper shells and they had a wax coating. The wax was actually burning!

They don't make either waxed shells, nor hot electric fences like that any more, but I still wouldn't "wee-wee" on any electric fence.

Picher
Old December 31, 2004, 05:57 PM   #7
pinkfloydman

yeah well luckly i havnt got any water in my barrel....sadly today was the last hunting day in mass...and its over...but i did get a nice 4 pointer during bow so im happy!!!
Old January 1, 2005, 06:52 PM   #8
Paul B.

Well Pink, I'll have to think of a suitable punishment for your faux pas.

OK. You must immediately go to the dark side of the moon, rent the wall and watch it twice. Then, when you've become comfortably numb, you can call it a day.

Yeah, I like Pink Floyd too.
Paul B.
Old January 2, 2005, 03:36 PM   #9
pinkfloydman

pshhh all those albums and movie are over rated man...if anyone here has listend to obscured by clouds or saucerful of secrets id be impressed!!!
Old January 3, 2005, 03:35 PM   #10
JKump

Hey. I have Saucer full of secrets on C.D..