The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old December 30, 2004, 08:50 AM   #1
mquaack

Glock 26, Kahr PM9 or Kahr P9 ???? Help Needed

I am looking for a CCW and have narrowed it down to 3 pistols (I think). The Glock 26, Kahr P9, and the Kahr PM9. I am leaning more to the Kahr PM9 due to its small size but open to the Glock. 26. I will be carrying it IWB holster on my strong side. I am new to “packing” a weapon so I want something that is small and I can get used to it. I will be going to CCDW class here in Kentucky next month. I have a Springfield XD9 in 4” all black, but it is to large for my body frame to carry. I want to keep the pistol under / around low $500.00 range and no larger than the Glock 26, Kahr P9, or Kahr PM9.

Glock 26: Length 6.29 in (slide), Height 4.7 in, Width 1.18 in

Kahr P9: Length O/A 6.0" , Height 4.5" , Width .90"

Kahr PM9: Length O/A 5.35" , Height 4.0" , Slide Width .94"

Any opinions are welcomed and thanks for your insight. If you know of another 9mm close in these measurements and recommend please let me know.

Thanks
Old December 30, 2004, 10:22 AM   #2
2002gti

ive got a G27 and a pm9

and for pure concealability the pm9 can not be beat. the extra thickness of the glock feels twice as thick as the kahr when carrying. its only a 23 round capacity difference and to me the extra firepower isnt worththe extra weight and bulk. my kahr rides iwb and i hardly know its there. all that and they have one of the sweetest dao triggers on the market i'd definatly buy another kahr...........
Old December 30, 2004, 10:35 AM   #3
mquaack

Thanks for the reply.

I am leaning to the P9.

Did you find the PM9 too small? I have not held the PM9 or P9 but I will today.

On the P9 does all 3 fingers hold on the mag area or would I need to get an mag extender like I will on the P9?
Old December 30, 2004, 11:18 AM   #4
9mmMike

If you're only going to carry then the Kahr is a good choice. If you plan on shooting regularly, get the Glock.
I carry a 26. The Mrs. carries a Kahr P9C. We were shooting weekly for a while (two years straight) and while the 26 was a treat to shoot, the Kahr is no fun to put 150 rounds through every week.
I like to shoot what I carry as I do not subscribe to the "talisman" theory.
The 26 is less comfy for sure but I train with it and I know it what it will do.
I have carried the Kahr when I could not carry the 26 but I would not choose it for my primary gun.
If you get a Kahr, I'd recommend that you buy some Agrip for it.
What is your objective?
You asked,
Mike
IF YOU LIVE IN PA AND DID NOT VOTE, YOU DESERVE TO LOSE YOUR GUNS!
Old December 30, 2004, 11:30 AM   #5
Ozzieman

At her choice I bought my wife a Glock 26

I am not a big Glock fan but I do understand why there so popular. Good value for the price and function, nothing less than flawless. The 26 is a very small gun and I hated it untill we bought the mag extensions (If memmory serves me they were some where around $12). They extend the mags only a small ammount but what a difference, feels like a much larger gun in your hand once you get your pinky up on the grip.
It now fits her hand and my very large hands.
10 rounds in a gun thats not that much larger or harder to conceal than a Walther PPKs, most impressive.
She likes to shoot it and I trust her life with it.

Last edited by Ozzieman; December 30, 2004 at 02:20 PM.
Old December 30, 2004, 11:34 AM   #6
mquaack

Objective: Carry - Comfortable, concealed, light, reliable, all the good stuff.

I will shoot a couple hundred rounds a year through it for practice.

I want something that I don’t even notice it is there IWB till I need it.
Old December 30, 2004, 11:44 AM   #7
pax
Staff

All good guns, and you've got a pretty good grasp of the pros and cons of each.

The PM9 is harder to shoot well than the others, IME. A couple hundred rounds a year works out to fewer than 20 rounds in a month -- not enough for a gun that is hard to shoot well. If that's the plan, I'd go with one of the larger, easier to shoot, guns and just deal with the fact that they aren't as small/easy to carry.

On the other hand, if you are willing to send a lot of rounds downrange initially, and burn at least 100 rounds a month keeping your skills tuned up, the PM9 is your best bet.

pax

Shooting skills are perishable, but regular practice is a good preservative. -- Kathy Jackson
Old December 30, 2004, 12:13 PM   #8
JerryM

I have a G26 and P9. The thickness of the Glock makes it more difficult to carry IWB. I normally carry OWB, but even then the Kahr gets the nod. The major advantage of the G26 is capacity, and with the mid size 15 round magazine you can carry 25 rounds of ammo using the 10 round G 26 and the larger 15 rd.

If I could only have one it would be the P9. If you wanted to pocket carry the PM9 would be better, but otherwise I would prefer the P9.

Please reconsider the 200 rounds per year. If you want to be reasonably proficient, you should shoot at least half that many per month. I shoot about 500 - 700 rounds per month.

You know, no doubt, that you will need a good holster and belt. Do not skimp on those items. Get one good IWB, and then an OWB. If you want leather, there are several good makers that are often mentioned here. Be prepared to wait, unless Lightening Arms has them in stock. If you want kydex, Comp-tac is hard to beat, has fast service, and reasonable prices.
For belts, it is hard to beat RafterS.

Jerry
Ecclesiastes 12:13 *¶Let us hear the conclusion of the whole matter: Fear God, and keep his commandments: for this is the whole duty of man.
14 *For God shall bring every work into judgment, with every secret thing, whether it be good, or whether it be evil.
Old December 30, 2004, 12:15 PM   #9
Jim Watson

From your list, I'd go with the P9. I have shot one, a lady's gun, and it is quite manageable enough for practice. The G26 is thicker than I want in my pants with me and the PM9 is just too stubby of butt, barrel, and recoil spring to suit me.

What I have GOT is an E9, a cheap version of the all steel K9. It is very comfortable to shoot and nearly as flat as the P9. Heavier, though, but 25 oz is pretty portable.
Old December 30, 2004, 01:36 PM   #10
mquaack

Excellent. Thanks for all the post.

Initially I will shoot ALOT of rounds throught it. I heard on the Kahr - 200 rounds to "break it in". After that I will shoot a couple more hundred for practice.

I agree that the P9 is a great gun for carry. I want something of that size.

The PM9 is really small , but with the extention grip it might be a good fit.
Old December 30, 2004, 05:23 PM   #11
tpdtom

I have 25 handguns , including a Glock 26 and a Kahr PM9 . My primary carry guns are a Lwt. Commander , a Wilson Compact CQB , or a H&K P7M8 . My Kahr PM9 is used as an ankle gun at work or in a PCS holster in shorts in the summertime . The Glock sits in the safe . For me it feels too thick and at a bad angle for my grip . It is a good shooter and reliable which my Kahr has been also . In fact , they were both flawless through the break in period . The Kahr feels better with the longer grip mag , but is not as concealable with it . For me , it has a specific purpose and fills it perfectly ...Tom
Old December 30, 2004, 05:27 PM   #12
2002gti

if you plan to get the pm9

check out gunbroker , there is a dealer selling them for $487. cheapest i could find one locally was $618, i settled on a used black diamond finish for $410.
Old December 30, 2004, 06:23 PM   #13
Bullrock

I own a G26 and carried it for a while with no problems. The bulk didn't bother, I just hated the short grip. Every time I buy a mag. I have to mess around with the extention which I find impossible to put on. I should have bought the G19.

I have carried the Taurus Millenium Pro, which I find to be very close to the G26 in trigger smoothness. The TMP is a medium frame gun, has a full grip (slimmer than the G26), weight 18.7Oz, length 6-1/8", width 1.125", height 5.125", and sells for under $400. I am not suggesting you by a Taurus, but there are allot of other options.

My current carry is neither of the above and weighs 30 Oz. It conceals very well with a hi-ride belt holster on the weak side.

If you want a carry with a full hand grip don't buy the G26.

Good Luck
Old December 30, 2004, 06:33 PM   #14
FirstFreedom

Pm9
Old December 30, 2004, 10:23 PM   #15
dmjr9577

I have both a Glock 26 and a PM9. The Glock is much nicer to shoot, but the PM9 is easier to carry. Unfortunately I have had numerous problems feeding the first round into the PM9. It feeds FMJ 115gr everytime, however Hollow points are another issue. I have tried Rem Golden Sabre 124 gr HP and PMC Starfire 95gr HP, both are difficult to feed the first round. Tonight I tried Federal Hydra Shok 124 gr HP and they fed OK. Go figure! Regardless of ammo, after first round the PM9 feeds OK. Mine is a newer one which is not under the recall notice.

The Glock feeds anything and have never had a hiccup. It's just a bit more bulky to carry.

At this time I find it difficult to CCW the PM9 since I have this feed issue which compromises the "reliability: issue in my mind. If I can continue to feed the Federal without issue for a few more times at the range maybe then I will CCW it. It's a shame that I spent big bucks on this PM9 and have to go thru my own qulaity control. No such issue with any of my Glocks.
Old December 30, 2004, 10:29 PM   #16
Alaskanmonte

If you have the Springer XD9 (4 inch) and like it, you might want to take a look at the XD9 sub-compact as another option for CC. I also own an XD9 but I've held the Sub-compact and I might have to get one for my self soon.
Old December 30, 2004, 10:58 PM   #17
mquaack

All great advise. I have alot more looking and holding before i do get a CCW.

I must have something reliable. I have heard hit and miss sometimes on the Kahr. The Glock it has been everytime the trigger is pulled. The Kahr is slimmer and smaller and I need that but when I need to pull it out and use it i want to make sure it is going to empty the clip.

Is the Kahr reliable?
Old December 30, 2004, 11:37 PM   #18
DT Guy

I had a K9 that I (initially) loved. The gun was built well, shot well, had a great trigger pull...until I tried the 'hostage head shot' drill at 25 yards. No matter how I tried, I couldn't tame that DA pull well enough to shoot as fast as I can a S/A.

Probably my own bias and problem, but I've found I can at least deal with a Glock trigger.

Larry

Government, Anarchy and Chaos
Old January 2, 2005, 12:59 PM   #19
mquaack

Springfield XD9 4" Black

Ok I need to sell the XD9 4" and get a 3" subcompact XD9 for CCDW.

WTS in Louisville KY area: a Springfield XD9 in 4" black.

Bought it 3 months ago and shot 85 rounds through it.

I would like to sell it and get a Sprigfield 3" sub compact model for CCDW.

$385.00 total (would like face to face sell if possible) but will transfer to FFL

If interested email me at mikequaack@gmail.com

Mike
Old January 2, 2005, 01:01 PM   #20
mquaack

Kahr P9 or PM9

I will get a Kahr PM9 or P9 too after I sell the XD9 4" and get a XD9 3" subcompact.

Thanks fo all your replies and advise.
Old January 2, 2005, 04:27 PM   #21
trespass

need help?

I know it has been a real popular fad for a while, the glick...but locally, it is not favored much..of 6 officer involved shootings a couple of years ago the glock figured in ALL of them...of these most were accidental discharges! It may be a fine combat arm, but for service carry or home defense I'd recommend you keep looking.
Old January 2, 2005, 07:19 PM   #22
nobanforme

I woul NEVER buy another Glock. I have three Karhs and love them all.
Old January 2, 2005, 07:25 PM   #23
Rev.

I am a big Glock fan, own three. Have you compaired the 26 to the 19? There is not much difference in size and concealability, but it feels better in your hand and holds 15 + 1. It is what I carry all the time.
Above "trespass" pointed out some accidental discharges, a little training goes a long way.
Old January 2, 2005, 07:59 PM   #24
MCIWS

I carry a Glock 26. I wish I had a Glock 19. If you get the 26, put some Sherer (spelling?) grip extensions on it. They are larger than the Pierce grips. It changes the entire feel of the gun. I considered a Sig Sauer P239 in 9mm because I don't like sticking that Glock in my pants. I know it won't fire unless you pull the trigger, but I still get a little nervous thinking it might snag on something if I turn a certain way or what have you.
Old January 2, 2005, 10:56 PM   #25
mquaack

I will be putting it in a IWB holster. Being a new CCDW I don't feel to comfortable with a gun in my pants without a holster.