The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old December 13, 2004, 12:14 PM   #1
jackdrum

Remington Model 51 UMC VERSION

I have a Remington Model 51 UMC hand gun, that I have owned for probably 35 years. It has the UMC grips and the serial number is within the UMC run of production.
I saw in one gun book that it carried a very high price.
I'm mainly looking for information about the gun, but I would part with it.
Does anyone have any additional information about the UMC version of the 51. What does the UMC stand for. It is really a nice hand gun. I don't know why it didn't become popular.
Thanks Jack
Old December 13, 2004, 03:43 PM   #2
Coffee357

Howdy jackdrum,

Had a Mdl.51 for a few years (came and went with my first wife). I agree that it was a great little gun but probably too expensive to remain competitive with the Colt 1903's, Walthers, HSC's, and a ton of other .32's and .380's. I believe the UMC stands for United Metalic Cartridge - part of Remington. I believe it died when Remington got out of the handgun market and there were too many other designs out there for another company to pick-up manufacturing them. If they made them today with a drop safety and a larger, more positive safety I would definitely get one. The most comfortable gun I've ever held. I can see why you've held onto yours!

Coffee
Old December 13, 2004, 05:31 PM   #3
Johnny Guest
Moderator Emeritus

UMC version?

Actually, there's no separate "version" or "run" of Remington 51s - - This was just their way of trying to steer the shooter toward their particular brand of ammo. They would, or course, work equally well with Winchester or Peters ammo.

The M51 was reasonably popular during the pre-WWII era. An Erwin Pedersen design, it was a bit over complicated, with the separately moving breech block. This is one of the few pocket pistols which was produced in far greater numbers in .380 than in .32. There seems to have been a school of thought that the .380 ACP was so much more powerful than the .32 ACP (7.65mm Browning) that straight blowback operation was hazardous. The various Savage pocket pistols were other examples. Colt's 1908 and the various European pocket autos got along fine with blowback .380 versions of their .32s.

As a historical note, General George Patton favored the M51 and ordered one while overseas -- in North Africa, I believe. It was out of production by that time, but an associate located one for him and sent it to Remington to be reconditioned and refinished. The fine little pistol caught up with Patton while he was in Europe, or perhaps in England. He was known to carry it in his waistband under his uniform blouse as a backup to whichever big bore side arm he was currently packing.

Best,
Johnny

Blog: Expert Witness
Old December 13, 2004, 06:44 PM   #4
jackdrum

Thanks for the replies

Thanks for all the help. It got me thinking, and I may not have a model 51 but just a UMC. I got my original information from the library, and copied the page. I just looked at it again, and there is a Model 51 from 1918 to 1934 with approx. 65,000 produced.
The next item is a Remingto UMC which was produced 1918-1919. The cut off date of 1918 was 13,152, and my gun is "PA10,145" which would make it within the 1918 run. Mine has the black grips with REMINGTON and UMC under the Remington, inside a circle at the top of the grip.
The gun looks like the Model 51 and that is what I thought it was.
Do you know if the UMC was like the 51 or do I need to do some more research on what I have.
I appreciate any help you all can give me.
Old December 13, 2004, 08:40 PM   #5
Jim Watson

You looking at a Blue Book? They are not real clear on this.

A Remington Model 51 is a .32 or .380 hammerless pocket pistol on the Pedersen design as described above.

The Remington UMC listed separately in the Blue Book, 13,000 made in 1918 and some in 1919 is the WW I Remington contract for 1911 .45 ACP.
It is NOT a variant of the M51, it is an authorized copy of the Colt Government Model.
Old December 13, 2004, 10:14 PM   #6
jackdrum

Thanks again

I appreciate all the good information I have received on my question.
At least I now know I have a nice Model 51, 380, and not a UMC.
Thanks
Jack Drum
jackdrum1@insightbb.com