The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old December 5, 2004, 01:47 AM   #1
tory

Glock 17 mods

Hey all, i recently bought a glock 17, NIB, and was wondering if there was any "necessary" modifications i should make (new recoil spring, grip plug, etc...) and i guess i should also add i'm southpaw, thanks for the help, tory
Old December 5, 2004, 02:04 AM   #2
9x19

Nope... nothing "necessary" springs to mind.

There are a number of factory and after-market parts that can be changed to suit you, but you should first put about 500-1000 rounds thru it to figure out what, if anything, you'd like to change!!!

Good luck...
Old December 5, 2004, 02:17 AM   #3
John Ringo

No mods on the G17 are necessary, but you can get several different varieties of springs for the action and trigger as well as barrels.

The G17 comes with a plastic "captive" guide rod. That means that the action spring is held in place on the guide rod. Well, there are several different tensions on springs as well as "non-captive" metalic guide rods. But you have to be careful with some of these because the gun will function differently.

There are a few options with aftermarket barrels as well. But they might be pretty expensive. I am checking into this myself....

"I like these calm little moments before the storm (Stansfield, The Professional)."
Old December 5, 2004, 03:53 AM   #4
tory

9x19, i have actually had it about a month and have put 600 round through it (i live in the country) and am thinkin about the grip plug and a new steel recoil rod and 20 lb spring assembly, i was just hopin i hadnt walked over anything important, thanks alot for the help though. Also John, i had looked into barrels but glocks factory barrels are also coated with tenifer so i guess that makes them as hard as an industrial diamond and they last forever, much thanks to you also
Old December 5, 2004, 03:55 AM   #5
gudel

you forgot night sights. forget about the steel rod and heavier spring, these sometimes causes malfunction. stock spring and rod are the best.i also put maritime spring cups on my G17.
buy lots of magazines too.
Old December 5, 2004, 05:18 AM   #6
John Ringo

Tory,

Yes there are several different aftermarket barrel manufacturers. There are some "match" grade barrels out there as well for about $200. But I could not see spending that money unless you were ultra-serious about bull's eye shooting with fibre-optic custom sights.

The standard Glock barrel will hold-up well. I've put about 3000 rounds through mine without any issue. Just keep it clean and lubed with Tetra.

I would get some decent night sights and possibly a decent aftermarket grip then call it a day. I would not recommend going with trigger adjustments or different guide-rod springs because they alter the function of the stock gun. It might not eject the spent casing as effectively when it got a little dirty from a long day of shooting.

The G17 is a great gun and will last you a long time. Just keep it lubricated and don't stack the magazines full for long periods of time. The springs in the magazines will get "lazy" if you keep them fully loaded and tucked in a drawer for a long period of time. If this happens then just unload them and let them sit uncompressed for a week.

"I like these calm little moments before the storm (Stansfield, The Professional)."
Old December 5, 2004, 07:33 AM   #7
Handy

I'd replace the fragile trigger spring with a NY1 trigger. That little spring breaks fairly easily, putting the entire gun out of action. The NY1 will increase the trigger pull a little (which is probably a good thing), but it can be countered by putting in a 3.5 pound connector if it is too 'positive' for your tastes. This is a fairly popular mod.

Besides sights, I would leave the rest alone. The 9mm models do everything else just right.