The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old November 30, 2004, 07:25 PM   #1
Jelly

Understanding Kentucky CCDW Law...

From Kentucky State Police:

"How can I legally carry a gun in my vehicle without a CCDW permit?

KRS 527.020 - A deadly weapon shall not be deemed concealed on or about the person if it is located in a glove compartment, regularly installed in a motor vehicle by its manufacturer regardless of whether said compartment is locked, unlocked, or does not have a locking mechanism."

Just want to make sure I'm reading this correctly...you can carry a loaded handgun in your glove box and it's not considered concealed?
Old November 30, 2004, 08:42 PM   #2
ampleworks

Not 100% sure on this but the Q&A says carry a firearm in the vehicle, it doesn't state whether loaded or unloaded.

I'll have to read into that more...address of the place you pulled that from?
Old November 30, 2004, 08:59 PM   #3
Sir William

Who wears gloves these days? You can carry a deadly weapon in your vehicle. A baseball bat can be a deadly weapon, BB guns ARE deadly weapons in Kentucky. You can put a pistol in your console or glovebox for transport. Off body vehicle carry/storage is popular here. The problem? There was a vehicle broken into at the hospital parking lot, a pistol was stolen by a 15 y/o. The PD stopped a car and came on the pistol concealed on the 15 y/o. AFAIK, if the 15 y/o had shot anyone, the firearms legal owner would be liable in a civil suit. I just woulld not do it regularly. Obtain a legal CCW and lock the weapon in the trunk when you cannot legally CCW. You can consult an attorney also. What the law refers to is that a pistol is NOT an illegal CCW when inside a glovebox in a vehicle interior. You cannot be charged for illegal CCW. IF the weapon is under the seat though, within a hands reach, if you survive, you CAN be charged with illegal CCW.
Old November 30, 2004, 09:13 PM   #4
Indy_SIG

You do not need a permit to carry a loaded handgun in the glove compartment of a vehicle in Kentucky. You may also carry a loaded handgun in a visible belt holster while driving in Kentucky without a permit. You cannot carry a loaded handgun under the driver's seat or in any closed compartment that is on the driver's side of the passenger area of the vehicle.

Kentucky is one of the easiest states in the nation in which to carry. They also have one of the best reciprocal agreements of any state.
Old November 30, 2004, 11:14 PM   #5
ampleworks

I'd love to see some other states take the stance that KY does on carrying (concealed or openly). Its obvious that they don't have an entirely huge issue else it wouldn't be happening...I don't exactly recall seeing the amount of "soccer moms" in Kentucky though...hrm.

Thanks for the info though, at least I can be somewhat armed when I "cross the river"
Old November 30, 2004, 11:38 PM   #6
scromp

All hail Kentucky.
Old November 30, 2004, 11:54 PM   #7
Sir William

We DO have soccer moms here. We import them. They do act the same whereever they are. Open carry here is a nifty thing.
Old December 3, 2004, 12:14 AM   #8
michael t

Make sure in glove box. center console a no.no. Be careful about open carry in major cities Lexington,and Northen KY Might get a stopped and questioned. We have great carry law. in Ky.
Old December 3, 2004, 07:52 AM   #9
tag

Quote:
AFAIK, if the 15 y/o had shot anyone, the firearms legal owner would be liable in a civil suit. I just woulld not do it regularly.
Please present proof that a property owner, who had something stolen and then subsequently used in a crime, has EVER been held responsible for the use of that item by the thief in a criminal or civil suit.
Old December 3, 2004, 08:20 AM   #10
eka

If you happen to venture over the line into Virginia. A loaded handgun in the glovebox without a CCW permit is not permitted. Thought I would just mention that since they border each other.

My advice is to seek a CCW permit.

Good luck!

Sic Semper Tyrannis
Old December 3, 2004, 12:25 PM   #11
Ignition

yeah i love indiana and our views about carrying. but our govenor, who lost the election to a repub Mitch Daniels, made a mandate that our ccw permit no longer can work as the ncis backgrnd check. but other wise i dont have any serious complaints with indiana

on a federal level i have major complaints with the "gca of 1968" that says i have to be 21 to buy a handgun or its ammo but yet at 18 i can carry and everything else. it just frustrates me. i wish they would look back at saying if you have a permit then you could be exempted from the age limits in the "gca 1968"

as well some other things

lets push for legislation to ban toe-nail clippers because airports believe they are deadly

a 9mm is really just a .45 set on stun

KEEP YOUR BOOGER HOOK OFF THE BANG SWITCH OF A GLOCK!
~~~~~~~~~~
from MAFIA INFORMANT SAMMY "THE BULL" GRAVANO
Quote:
"Gun control? It's the best thing you can do for crooks and gangsters. I want you to have
nothing. If I'm a bad guy, I'm always gonna have a gun."
Old December 3, 2004, 04:27 PM   #12
SemperFi Wireguy

That does it, I'm moving BACK to Kentucky!!!
Move over folks, I'm commin' home!
Old December 4, 2004, 09:22 PM   #13
michael t

You ain't back yet! Remember in Ky. its not a concealed pistol permit but a concealed deadly weapon permit. Bowie Knife,sword cane, auto knives, and the list goes on. They used to say a man wasn't dressed if he didn't have a pistol and a Bowie on him.
Old December 6, 2004, 02:42 PM   #14
warhammer357

For years before House Bill 40, I carried my piece in the glove box of the car.
Only problem is that when I travelled to WV across the river that was a no no without a permit. When I did that, I unloaded the gun and locked the glove box so I would be covered by McClure Volkmer which states you can carry so long as the gun is unloaded and in an innaccessible place....

But Ky laws are very sensible compared to other states.
For many years carrying without a permit was a misdemeanor with a $100 fine.
What was it Mark Twain said? He never saw a Kentuckian who did not have two of the following three items on his person at all times, a pack of cards, a bottle of whiskey and a pistol?

LOL....
Old December 6, 2004, 06:47 PM   #15
keko

Just finished the CCDW class in KY...

what has been said above is correct.

In sum, if you DO NOT have a CCDW you can have the hun (loaded) in a closed glove box (that is OEM with the car). The glove box does not have to be locked.

You can have the gun (loaded) in clear view: on the passengers seat or dash.

You can open carry in KY, but some counties or towns could have an ordanance. Having a gun in a holster (open carry) in your car is not legal per my reading of the law because the policeman may not see it. I would not want to fight that in court.

Other than the above, it needs to be unloaded or you need a CCDW.

Just across the river in IL it sucks!

There are a few odd things about the law in KY:
-If you feel like a guy is going to actually harm you, you can shoot. You do not need to wait to be hit. However, if a guy is holding a gun on another guy...you can't shoot the guy holding the gun...it is the undercover cop protection provision. But once the firing starts, you are OK to shoot. Or if it is a family member and you are SURE that the guy with the gun is a bad guy you are OK to shoot.
-Here is the odd one...you can shoot a guy committing arson.
-You can shoot a guy in your house if you feel you life is in danger, but once he leaves the house, shooting is a no-no. I guess if you make a mistake outside, you better go get the gas can from the garage...only kidding.

The only southern state that KY doesn't have reciprocity with is SC...do not know why. There are almost 30 states with reciprocity with KY. Naturally, the ones NOT on the list would be those you expect: CA, New England (except one state), Mid-Atlantic, IL, SC, and a few out west.

Lastly, the point about state laws being different is a good one. The newspaper editor in my town went to Nashville to have some fun. He had a loaded gun in the glove box...legal in KY. He got pulled over in Nashville, got a DUI...and got nailed for the gun...TN law is different. Even with a CCDW he may have had trouble...DUI's are a loss of CCDW offense in KY.
Old December 6, 2004, 06:49 PM   #16
keko

One more thing about KY...

Ashley Judd is a big UK Wildcats B'Ball fan...goes to most home games. Another reason why KY is just fine. Well the only state that can legally produced bourbon in another good reason.
Old December 6, 2004, 09:53 PM   #17
Sir William

I believe Paxton was the Paducah Sun newspaper editor. He was wrong all the way. Illegal is illegal. He was carrying a firearm loaded, no legal CCDW license, DUI and belligerant to the arresting officer. If Paxton had a CCDW, he would have lost it on conviction for DUI in Nashville. I believe we are neighbors keko.
Old December 6, 2004, 10:08 PM   #18
Indy_SIG

Quote:
You can open carry in KY, but some counties or towns could have an ordanance. Having a gun in a holster (open carry) in your car is not legal per my reading of the law because the policeman may not see it. I would not want to fight that in court.
A couple of corrections keko. Counties and towns in KY won't have an ordinance that adversely affects your gun rights. KY has one of the strongest preemption acts in the nation that keeps them from doing so. Also, visible external holster carry while driving is perfectly legal in KY without a permit. Whether an officer would see it or not is irrelevant. If it's visible, it's legal.

As for Judd and Bourbon, these are indeed 2 additional examples of the good things in KY.
Old December 8, 2004, 08:11 PM   #19
michael t

As I'am a KY Colonel : I order you all to stand and sing My Old Kentucky Home! We due have a very good Carry law. A lot of good people put in a lot of hours seeing we got one of the best in the country. We owe them a big thanks.
Old December 8, 2004, 08:45 PM   #20
abelew

Im jealous, Ky is such a neat state, ccdw laws notwithstanding. Now theres just another reason for me to want to move there. FL isnt bad, its just I cant figure a way to hide my guns in the summer
Old December 12, 2004, 11:03 PM   #21
scromp

-Here is the odd one...you can shoot a guy committing arson.

Just to be clear, I believe that is only true of inhabited buildings. Still a damn fine law to have.
Old April 3, 2013, 04:15 PM   #22
Kyguy1983

Kyguy1983

My son carrys his pellet gun in a holster on his side. Is that legal? He is 15 years old?
Old April 3, 2013, 06:28 PM   #23
Kreyzhorse

Quote:
Just want to make sure I'm reading this correctly...you can carry a loaded handgun in your glove box and it's not considered concealed?
That is 100% correct sir. Any one in Kentucky can carry a loaded handgun legally in their glove box.

Open carry is also legal. Kentucky has some, if not the best, gun laws in the nation.
Old April 3, 2013, 06:55 PM   #24
WWWJD

From the KSP Web page:

KRS527.020(8)
"A loaded or unloaded firearm or other deadly weapon shall not be deemed concealed on or about the person if it is located in any enclosed container, compartment, or storage space installed as original equipment in a motor vehicle by its manufacturer, including but not limited to a glove compartment, center console, or seat pocket, regardless of whether said enclosed container, storage space, or compartment is locked, unlocked, or does not have a locking mechanism. No person or organization, public or private, shall prohibit a person from keeping a loaded or unloaded firearm or ammunition, or both, or other deadly weapon in a vehicle in accordance with the provisions of this subsection. Any attempt by a person or organization, public or private, to violate the provisions of this subsection may be the subject of an action for appropriate relief or for damages in a Circuit Court or District Court of competent jurisdiction. This subsection shall not apply to any person prohibited from possessing a firearm pursuant to KRS 527.040."

It goes beyond just the glove box. . I usually have one in the center console if at all.

Edit: wow. Just saw the date on the OP. Yea the law has been amended since then. For the better.
Old April 3, 2013, 09:23 PM   #25
Garycw

Here in SE Ky, I see open carry in Walmart , pistols on dashboards etc. a friend had a trailer stolen from behind his home and the police told him , if he saw them stealing it was ok to shoot? Or so the story goes. I know in Ohio you can only shoot it life in danger, not loss of personal property. Although I like the idea.
I know for a fact in another incident some hunters were in the woods hunting deer. When they returned they saw there truck being broke into by a resident nearby. The thief was promptly shot in the leg with a 30-06 and was left dumped on his front porch. He lived, but still doesn't walk right.

Sent from iPhone