The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old November 25, 2004, 06:51 AM   #1
copeland

Norinco hp 9 vs Mossberg Maverick 88

So I need a shotgun for protection in the woods (backpacking, hiking etc.) And I'm torn between two...

I need a cheap gun that can be knocked around I don't want a nice one where I'll worry about its looks...it has to be a work horse for defense.

SO I'm stuck between a Maverick 88 for 285 cdn locally
and I found a Norinco HP9 for 400 locally...

Pros and Cons for each
MAverick is cheaper
Mossberg has a good name, though I've heard that maverick is a cheap gun

The Norinco however, is more expensive,
but it hasa 14" barrel
feels way more sturdy in the pump and action (ala 870 specs)
I have an old production but bought brand new sks...it's finishing is crap but I paid cheap and it's a fun plinker...one plus for Norinco

I also have the Norinco 1911 commander which is a newer production gun and am impressed by it's quality...another plus for norinco...

thoughts (other then political I've seen) on the HP9? anybody can compare to a actual 870...I would rather a mossberg 500 for a nice gun for several reasons but the purpose of this first shotgun is abuse. That's the reason I went with my norinco .45 -- cheap so I can learn to properly maintian a handgun before plopping down 1k for a nicer brand and ruining it from abuse and ignorance of maintenance...

all info appreciated.