The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old November 21, 2004, 08:25 AM   #1
bluetick

Problem with 870 express super magnum 3.5 inch

Has anyone had an issue with this gun not holding a pattern at 50 yards shooting a variety of buck shot. I have tried 00, #1 and #4. I average 2 pellets in a 2X2 foot target at 50 yards. Remington has replaced the barrel, however the pattern is the same. I have tried imp. cyl, modifed and full choke.
Old November 21, 2004, 02:21 PM   #2
Dfariswheel

Have you tried different brands of ammo?

If so, send it back to the factory along with a shot paper target.
Write on the target all details: Distance, brand of ammo, type of shot, choke used, etc.

If possible send several targets shot with different brands and types of shot so they know it's not just one type ammo.
Old November 21, 2004, 04:59 PM   #3
bluetick

I have tried 3 types of ammo.

I tried Remington, Winchester and Federal shells. Shot a total of 5 boxes which turned my shoulder into hamburger. I have three targets which I will send along with the shotgun to Remington. The support staff seems to be very helpful, I hope the repair department does the same job. Thanks for the suggestion. I am new here and have enjoyed browsing the posts.
Old November 21, 2004, 07:52 PM   #4
Dfariswheel

I have NO idea what could cause an 870 to shoot like that, especially with two different barrels.

Whatever, Remington will take care of it.