The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old November 1, 2004, 12:47 PM   #1
78kitty

OK to reuse 7mm RemMag Brass?

I just bought a used older Remington 700 chambered in 7mm Remington Magnum. I will probably handload ammo for it. A friend of mine said you should never re-use belted cartridge brass b/c of a chance of seperation. Is this true, or can belted cartridges be used over safely? Thanks, Dave
Old November 1, 2004, 04:27 PM   #2
sundog

I get several loadings. Segregate brass by rifle and neck size. The belted mags were designed to headspace on the belt, but if you fire form and move the head space to the shoulder, you should be okay. Actually, you will be better off. In fact, if you do not shoot flat out top end loads, your brass will last many loadings. sundog
Old November 1, 2004, 07:44 PM   #3
HankL

I agree with sundog. Once you have fired new belted brass in a particular rifle they stay together. Neck sizing the brass prior to reloading usually is fine. If you feel like you need to at least bump the shoulder of the brass I would suggest that you invest in Wilson adjustable case gage.

78, Your friend didn't tell you that he would be happy to dispose of your once fired brass for you did he? If you neck size, your case length will grow very little and you will not need to trim much if at all. Cases that are never trimmed should never seperate due to thinning. The brass will wear out, usually the primers begin to seat a little too easily and then it's time to retire the brass. You should be able to load your 7REM brass as many times as you do any other full power rifle.

Reloading is the only way I can afford to shoot 338 Lapua as a plinking round.
Old November 1, 2004, 08:22 PM   #4
78kitty

great advice thanks guys. I will keep all my 7mm brass seperated and inspect as you said Happy Shooting! Dave
Old November 6, 2004, 09:33 PM   #5
jwp

get a big paperclip and open it up, with needlenose pliers bend a short 1/8" or so angle in the end.
presto a feeler gage, put in the brass and slowly pull it out using the bent end to feel the case sidewall
good cases are smooth, if you feel roughness or a valley discard that case - beginning of head separation