The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Forum Support > Site Questions and Tech Support (NO FIREARMS QUESTIONS)

Old October 13, 2004, 06:12 PM   #1
User Name

Just a suggestion...

Could we get the "file links" (for lack of a better phrase..this thing: TheFiringLine Forums > The Conference Center > Suggestions, Questions and Tech Support) posted at the bottom of the page also, the same as the top. It would make navigation after reading a page full of posts easier. That way we wouldn't have to scroll all the way back to the top just to go back to the page we want.
Just a thought
"Whenever Governments mean to invade the rights and liberties of the people, they always attempt to destroy the militia, in order to raise an army upon their ruins. This was actually done by Great Britain at the commencement of the late revolution."
Rep. Elbridge Gerry of Massachusetts - 1789

GUN CONTROL....IT'S NOT A NEW IDEA......JUST A BAD ONE!
Old October 13, 2004, 06:27 PM   #2
Rich Lucibella
Staff

User-
Hacks are not pleasant in VBulletin. The software has grown so fast and has so many features that it's never as simple as just adding a line of code. And with 4-6 updates every year, the problem of tracking and tweaking such hacks becomes real problematic.

We don't mind looking into hacks that fix misfunction. Beyond that, we're pretty conservative. Having been the first major Board of this kind to adopt vBulletin, we've been around it more than 5 years and know the constraints.

Quote:
That way we wouldn't have to scroll all the way back to the top just to go back to the page we want.
That's not inconvenience. Inconvenience is having to walk 3 miles just to get to the range; in the snow; uphill; both ways!

Rich
Old October 13, 2004, 07:14 PM   #3
Mal H
Staff

Mr. Name, I understand your frustration, but I better understand Rich's. Hacks are not easy to keep track of. You might want to post over at vBulletin.com and give them your suggestion. It's a good one. Oh, and while you're at it, ask them to put the "Thread tools" at both ends of a thread as well.

In the meantime, remember that thing you use to post your text with? You know, the keyboard? Use it for more than just typing. When I need to get back to the top of a page quickly, I just hit the "Home" key. Much quicker than almost any scroll technique you can name.
Old October 13, 2004, 08:43 PM   #4
User Name

No problem. Thanks for the fast replies...
"Whenever Governments mean to invade the rights and liberties of the people, they always attempt to destroy the militia, in order to raise an army upon their ruins. This was actually done by Great Britain at the commencement of the late revolution."
Rep. Elbridge Gerry of Massachusetts - 1789

GUN CONTROL....IT'S NOT A NEW IDEA......JUST A BAD ONE!
Old October 13, 2004, 08:53 PM   #5
TheBluesMan
Moderator Emeritus

So *that's* what that button is for...

I swear I never had a clue until now.
Tick-off Obama - Join the NRA Today - Save $10
Old October 13, 2004, 10:43 PM   #6
Mal H
Staff

Are you serious or are you joshing me, TBM.

Wait 'til you see what the 'End' key can do!!
Old October 13, 2004, 11:09 PM   #7
tyme
Staff

You know, pressing "Home" or "End" quickly takes you to one end of the page or the other.
“Who are you?” “A friend. I'm here to prevent you from making a mistake.” “You have no idea what I'm doing here, friend.” “In specific terms, no, but I swore an oath to protect the world...” (continuum)
“It's a goal you won't understand until later. Your job is to make sure he doesn't achieve the goal.” (bsg)
Old October 14, 2004, 06:43 AM   #8
Mal H
Staff

It does??!!

Old October 14, 2004, 07:42 AM   #9
TheBluesMan
Moderator Emeritus

Mal,

I spend about nine hours a day in front of a computer. I'm embarassed to admit it, but I never knew what the 'home' and 'end' keys did. I just never use them!

'Print Screen' I've tapped once or twice to get a screen shot. 'Scroll Lock' and 'Pause/Break'; never.

I now have newfound feelings of power over the Magic Elf Box*.

-Dave

*Magic Elf Box is a registered trademark of LawDog Files, Inc.
Old October 14, 2004, 11:50 AM   #10
Quartus

Quote:
Mal,

I spend about nine hours a day in front of a computer. I'm embarassed to admit it, but I never knew what the 'home' and 'end' keys did. I just never use them!

Ditto! Well, make that 12 hours most days. I use End and Home extensively in documents and spreadsheets, but didn't know what they'd do in a browser window.