The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Closed Thread

Old February 28, 2005, 11:55 AM   #26
FirstFreedom

I am laughing my fool head from the save toby link - omg that is too much. Funniest thing I've seen in several months. He has gotten $16K but alas he is still $34K short of saving toby and only 4 months left to go! LMAO that some people have actually contributed when this guy will probably eat the bunny anyway, even if he does get the 50K (assuming the bunny actually exists).
Old February 28, 2005, 10:09 PM   #27
38splfan

Yup.

This dude has an extra $16k, has made vegans look like enormous asses all over the internet, and has a nice peice of stew meat waiting to boot

The only thing that upsets me is that I didn't think of it first
Old March 12, 2005, 10:44 PM   #28
perception

toby is up to 18k!

Its kind of funny, but there are two petas- People for Ethical Treatment of Animals, and People for Eating Tasty Animals- both real organizations.

A few weeks back, someone caught a world record size lobster and it was on display at some zoo. (details fuzzy) People for ethical treatment of animals petitioned for his release back into his natural habitat. People for eating tasty animals simply responded to this petition with an offer to buy the lobster at the going rate for lobster steaks.
Old March 17, 2005, 06:36 PM   #29
DR_MAX

Rembrandt:

That link is like a good ethnic joke. I hate myself for laughing at it. The thing is, we need to make sure that PETA stays marginalized - rather than ourselves getting that way. We need to try to consider what activities might make us out to be waccos with the voting public who have no axes to grind (if there are any). The more outrageous the actions, the more vitiated the credibility
- so lets make sure we're not the outrageous ones in the public's view.
Old July 14, 2005, 03:42 AM   #30
PaleGreenHorse

P.E.T.A. in my book is... PEOPLE for the EATING of TASTY ANIMALS.
Bulgarian Makarov, CZ-52
CZ-70, Polish P-64
Old July 14, 2005, 08:15 AM   #31
115grfmj

I'm a member of my own PETA Group....

P...eople
E...ating
T...asty
A...nimals

As a matter of fact I called to order another meeting of my group
last night at the OUTBACK Steakhouse, the subject of the meeting
was a tasty 18oz prime rib.
Old July 14, 2005, 12:07 PM   #32
Twycross

It seems that Toby now has until November 6, 2006 to live.
Old July 14, 2005, 12:59 PM   #33
kingudaroad

Remember that the reason PETA exists is because of our ability to express our beliefs and opinions freely in this great country we live in. These whacko groups are an offspring of our own independence. The PETA people have no chance to stop hunting in America. Martha Burke has a better chance of stopping the Masters. Hard to imagine but its a good thing that Americans are free to be ignorant. Just my 2 cents.
Old July 15, 2005, 02:31 AM   #34
LAK

Sheesh, I am in the wrong business! Tomorrow I gotta run to the pet store and buy Toby's cousin.
Old July 17, 2005, 11:28 PM   #35
biosciguy

I know a few vegans that "walk the walk", and are in PETA, but hey, you gotta realize that these PETA folks are the same folks that condemn March of Dimes (A group that works to lower infant mortality rates) on the grounds that they are "unkind to our simian ape brothers". I wonder if they will have the same stances upon the issue when they get a staph infection and need some antibiotics.
Old July 18, 2005, 08:36 AM   #36
bclark1

good write kelsey.

the only thing i don't like about savetoby.com is that i didn't think of it first. and it reinforces my frustration with paypal. at least i can still just keep sending payments for "generic gunbroker.com auction, of course it's not guns or hicaps..." talk about a company with no cajones whatsoever.
Old August 6, 2005, 02:21 PM   #37
SeekHer

Vegetarian---Indian word for poor hunter

When the human race dies out, it will be because it was brainwashed to be so totally, completely, utterly safe that it no longer dared to keep on living
Old August 7, 2005, 01:55 AM   #38
Ac1d0v3r1d3

meat is murder, and thats the truth

"So now, what might make sense, is a boycott of *commercially-grown* meat, in favor of an "all-hunting-source" meats in the diet plan. That would have some basis in logic at least."

now this i agree with. i'm not going to eat somethat that was treated that badly for the whole of its life. you all can go ahead. i'm not saying murder is a bad thing, it happens everyday and will continue to happen. meat is just not something i need (atleast not meat that i havent harvested) and i cant say that i personally agree with mistreatment of animals. but thats your call guys. i live my own life and only ask that ya'll do the same.
thanks
Old August 7, 2005, 11:55 AM   #39
dfaugh

"Ethical" Defined

After more than 100 dead dogs were dumped in a trash dumpster over four weeks, police in Ahoskie, N.C., kept an eye on the trash receptacle behind a supermarket. Sure enough, a van drove up and officers watched the occupants throw in heavy plastic bags. They detained the two people in the van and found 18 dead dogs in plastic bags in the dumpster, including puppies; 13 more dead dogs were still in the van. Police say the van is registered to the headquarters of People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals, and the two occupants, Andrew B. Cook, 24, and Adria Joy Hinkle, 27, identified themselves as PETA employees. An autopsy performed on one of the dogs found it was healthy before it was killed. Police say PETA has been picking up the animals -- alive -- from North Carolina animal shelters, promising to find them good homes. Cook and Hinkle have been charged with 62 felony counts of animal cruelty. In response to the arrests PETA President Ingrid Newkirk said it's against the group's policy for employees to dump animals in the trash, but "that for some animals in North Carolina, there is no kinder option than euthanasia." (Roanoke-Chowan News-Herald) ...Oops, my mistake: that's "Playing God" Defined.

The more I learn about PETA, the less I think of them. The story of them killing animals isn't even unusual. According to PETA's own filings, in 2004 PETA killed 86.3 percent of the animals entrusted to its care -- a number that's rising, not falling. Meanwhile, the SPCA in PETA's home town (Norfolk, Va.) was able to find loving homes for 73 percent of the animals put in its care. A shortage of funds? Nope: last year PETA took in $29 million in tax-exempt donations. It simply has other priorities for the funds, like funding terrorism (yes, really). But don't take my word for it: I got my figures from http://www.PETAkillsAnimals.com -- and they have copies of PETA's state and federal filings to back it up. The bottom line: if you donate money to PETA because you think they care for and about animals, you need to think some more. PETA literally yells and screams about how others "kill animals" but this is how they operate? Pathetic.

And you know what I wonder? PETA's official count of animals they kill is 86.3 percent. But if they're going around picking up animals, killing them while they drive around and not even giving them a chance to be adopted, and then destroying the evidence by dumping the bodies in the trash, are those deaths being reported? My guess: no. While 86.3 percent is awful, the actual number is probably much, much higher. How dare they lecture anyone about the "ethical" treatment of animals!

Unable to find the original article, this is quoted for Randy Cunningham's weekly newsletter, "This is True". http://www.thisistrue.com/peta.html Emphasis mine.

"No one has the answer, but one thing is true.
You'e got to turn on evil, when its coming after you.
You've gotta face it down,and when it tries to hide,
you've got to go in after it, and never be denied.
Time is running out...Let's roll.
Let's roll for freedom, let's roll for love.
We're going after satan, on the wings of a dove.
Let's roll for freedom, let's roll for truth.
Let's not let our children grow up fearful in their youth."
Old August 7, 2005, 02:49 PM   #40
mgdavis

Old August 7, 2005, 03:12 PM   #41
RoyG

Pittman-Robertson Act of 1937 – $9.5 billion over the past 67 years

Most of you probably don't even know about this...

Federal Aid in Wildlife Restoration Act (Pittman-Robertson Act) 1937

A 10 percent Federal excise tax, later increased to 11%, on hunting supplies (guns, ammo, archery equipment). Monies were collected by the Federal government and returned to the states in proportion to a formula based on license sales and area to support wildlife management. Requires that hunting license revenues be spent on wildlife management (excise tax monies, once returned to the state, can be spent in any manner). Provides predictable funding for wildlife management.
and take a look here...

State Fish and Wildlife Agencies to Share in More Than $530 Million
Old August 10, 2005, 12:10 AM   #42
3 weelin geezer

I like man-a-tee's. They taste like chicken....or was it tuna? Oh, well. They are both chicken just that one lives in the water.
Old August 24, 2005, 10:46 PM   #43
psycho nut

PETA

People
Eating
and
Torturing
Animals
Old August 24, 2005, 11:10 PM   #44
4V50 Gary
Staff

Rembrandt - I love the Toby link. Outrageously funny. I'm going to have to get a photo of a kitten and threaten to kill it unless 5,000 copies of my "Adventures of Tabby" are sold.

BTW, in California we also have our own PETA. It stands for:

People
Eaten
by
The
Animals

We seem to have forgotten that we're on the top of the food chain. The mountain lion lovers have allowed them to overrun the state. We've lost some joggers and a bicyclist to them.
Old September 21, 2005, 03:13 PM   #45
FrontSight

They are mostly Reaction Formation Cases.

Those are people who have a lot of hatred and anger and know it's socially unacceptable so they cover it up with a "good-reason for it".

Examples: abortion clinic bombers, PETA activists who burn down research labs, etc...basically very disturbed and violent people who try to find an excuse for it so they can do it.
Old September 21, 2005, 04:00 PM   #46
spacemanspiff

from the peta website:
Quote:
Everybody is entitled to his or her own opinion, but freedom of thought is not the same thing as freedom of action. You are free to believe whatever you want as long as you don’t hurt others. You may believe that animals should be killed, that black people should be enslaved, or that women should be beaten, but you don’t always have the right to put your beliefs into practice. The very nature of reform movements is to tell others what to do—don’t use humans as slaves, don’t sexually harass women, etc.—and all movements initially encounter opposition from people who want to continue to take part in the criticized behavior.
so hunters are equated with slaveowners and wifebeaters?
Old September 21, 2005, 05:22 PM   #47
ltdave

http://thatvideosite.com/view/709.html

Penn and Teller on PETA

great!

some vulgarity if thats an issue with you or your family but very telling....

david
Old September 25, 2005, 02:44 PM   #48
maximuss

People Eat Tasty Animal

I thought that is what it meant for a long time.

I also like Ted Nugent's sticker says:

"I love animal...They are delicious!!"
Old September 25, 2005, 06:04 PM   #49
aspen1964

...who is the author of PETA's ethics that I should listen to and live by...????
I don't think they know either....
Old September 25, 2005, 07:08 PM   #50
Henry Baker

Maximuss you beat me to it.