The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old October 7, 2004, 08:15 PM   #1
Bob Freddy

Glock 27 vs. Glock 30 (or .40 vs. .45)

Would anyone know which gun is more accurate? I have shot the Glock 30 a few times before and have finally "adjusted" to the trigger. I found it to be quite accurate , but the targets were only set at 7 and 10 yards out. Are .45 rounds more accurate than the .40SW? I shot a Smith and Wesson SW 99(chambered in .40SW) in the middle of shooting the glock 30. I did not shoot this gun as nearly accurate as the glock. The ammuntion was from the same company also. Just wondering if anyone has shot both and which one they like better.

Thanks,

BOB FREDDY
Old October 7, 2004, 08:38 PM   #2
wile_coyote

FWIW, I have a Walther P99 .40 (similar to the SW99). I have shot it and the Glock .40, but not the Glock chambered for .45. Both are great guns, I am a little better with the Walther. I have fired other .45's (Para and Taurus) and was pretty accurate with them.
It is probably just preferrence on your part for the caliber, but you can't go wrong getting a Glock. My next purchase will be a Glock to add to the collection.

Good luck...
Old October 7, 2004, 09:59 PM   #3
bullfrog99

The glock 30 is a pretty big gun, about a big as a glock 19. That is the only thing keeping me from getting a glock 29 as a companion to my 20. If you are going to carry something as big as the 29(the 30's 10mm cousin) you migh as well carry a service size gun. Get what you like though, it's your dough.
Old October 7, 2004, 10:18 PM   #4
ChrisCT

Quote:
The glock 30 is a pretty big gun, about a big as a glock 19. That is the only thing keeping me from getting a glock 29 as a companion to my 20. If you are going to carry something as big as the 29(the 30's 10mm cousin) you migh as well carry a service size gun. Get what you like though, it's your dough.
Neither the G30 or G19 is a "big" gun. Compare either to a full size, and there is a world of difference. And with the G30, we're talking about 10 rounds of .45 acp, what kind of 1911 would you have to carry to get that kind of firepower? The G30 is definitely one of my next purchases.

Bob, to your question on accuracy...I'm not sure exactly how they compare, but they will both more than suffice as a CCW weapon at the average range a gun fight takes place in.
Old October 7, 2004, 10:40 PM   #5
shellpicker

G-30 accuracy

I have a G30 and carry it anytime I leave the house. I am so used to it in an IWB holster that I feel naked without it. I am no youngster with a flat body but am 68 and about 75 pounds overweight. I normally shoot the magazine empty for my first string at the range and reload with fresh reloads when I am finished. My targets are normal playing cards at 7 yards. I can put all 11 rounds in the card. I have a bar-sto barrel and Heine night sights. I have also installed the 3.5 pound connecter. I bought a H&K 9MM USPc with the intentions of leaving the G30 at home and carrying 13 rounds vs. the 11 in the 45 but have since changed my mind as I like the 230 grain bullet vs the 124 in the 9.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg g30.jpg (148.3 KB, 676 views)
Old October 8, 2004, 11:14 AM   #6
bullfrog99

I was speaking only relatively Chris, The Glock 30 is not in the same class as the Glock 27. I was not implying that it was huge, only pointing out that it was bigger. Handle and if possable shoot both (rental range), decide for yourself. Both are good guns, so not much we can say will matter in either direction. If it helps, I have heard quite a few people say that the Glock 30 is the most accurate of the glocks.
Old October 9, 2004, 11:53 AM   #7
fastbolt

It's probably going to depend more on the user than the pistol ... which isn't uncommon. I suspect that quality pistols in both calibers are probably going to be inherently capable better accuracy than most users may practically get out of them ...

As an offhand example, one night one of the other instructors and I were testing a couple of new SIG's, chambered in .40 & .45, and we were both able to make hits on 6" metal plates at 90-95 yards once we settled down and focused on the basics. The pistols are machines, after all. I've done the same thing with my G26 ... and then I've also missed at the same distance, shooting at the same targets with the same ammunition. It's obviously not the pistol's fault.

When I was shooting my new G26, I let another instructor who commonly carries a G30 shoot my G26. His first reaction was that he felt shot the G26 much better than he did his G30. He's still going carry his G30. He likes the .45 ACP ... and there's nothing wrong with that.

I carry an issued SW99 chambered in .40 S&W, and I also own a personal one. I happen to prefer shooting the TDA (DA/SA) pistols, and can more easily shoot them faster, accurately & controllably ... I like the triggers ... but then I've spent the last 15 years carrying them at work, and I generally shoot anywhere from 500-2000+ rounds per month (combined) through various model & caliber TDA S&W's (9mm, .40 S&W & .45 ACP). TDA pistols generally require a bit more familiarization, training & skill on the part of the user.

I also happen to like my little G26 & G27. Nice little pistols. Accurate? You bet. Both of them.

There is a difference in perceived recoil when you compare the 9mm and the .40 S&W, though ... as there is when you throw a .45 ACP pistol into the mix. Different folks may find they prefer one or another of the calibers when it comes to controllability and recoil management ... and may also discover a preference for the size of the platform itself (G21 vs. G30 vs. G36, etc.). Nothing wrong with that. Nice to have choices.

Proper training and frequent, proper practice does often help "level the field" when it comes to practical accuracy at reasonable defensive pistols distances with different calibers and pistol models. If it's an issued pistol you settle down and train to master it as best you're able ... and if it's a personally owned pistol you have the luxury of selecting a caliber/model that you tend to favor for whatever reason.

Try them both ... with quality ammunition ... more than once.

I would hazard a guess that you might find the G30 to be a bit easier to shoot comfortably, since it's a bit larger and chambered in what some folks characterize as a "softer shooting" caliber, but that's strictly subjective, and you've got to decide it for yourself.

Although I carry one .40 pistol, and own two others (in addition to the G27), it took me a little over 350 rounds being fired through my G27 before I was able to settle down and handle it with equal ease through the same shooting situations as I could with my G26. I still "feel" the elevated perceived recoil of the .40 compared to the 9mm in my G26 ... but it can be mitigated to my satisfaction by training. Of course, I also only shoot either 180gr or 165gr ammunition in the G27, too.

You might find the G30 offers you a more "manageable" level of perceived recoil with standard pressure 230gr .45 ACP ammunition than the G27 might offer you with standard 180gr ammunition. Perceptions are affected by many things, though, including hand size and personal comfort with the overall ergonomics of the two pistols in your hands.
Old October 10, 2004, 03:20 PM   #8
Bob Freddy

Thanks guys,

I have checked with some friends to see if they or someone they know have a 27 for me to try. If not, I will check out one of the rentals at one of the local shops. I am kind of leaning towards the glock 30 though. The 30 I was shooting (or maybe it was me) seemed to be working well. I had to change the targets after each magazine becaue you couldn't see the X anymore and the rounds were just travelling through the hole in the paper

Thanks again,

BOB
Old October 11, 2004, 12:28 PM   #9
Don Gwinn
Staff Emeritus

I love my 30, but it IS a brick. The 27 will be more comfortable if you had any problem with the size of the 30. The 30 seems to have a better reputation for accuracy, but I don't know how much of that is just talk. They're both more accurate than I am.
Old October 15, 2004, 05:35 PM   #10
Bob Freddy

Went to the shop today, and I ruled out the 27. The grip is just too short for me and the 30 fits just right. I might swing towards getting a SA xd-40 instead though. Either way my next purchase will most likely be a rifle of some sort. I was checking out a Bushmaster AR with telecoping stock, muzzle break, and bayonet lug

BOB
Old October 15, 2004, 05:47 PM   #11
legacy38

While I believe that the .45ACP is a more accurate round than the .40SW that does not mean that a shooter will get more accuracy out of a G30 vs a G27. The differences in the grips width is enough to affect how an individual shooter would shoot. The G30 might not fit as many shooters as will the G27; so, it's really hard to make a distinct comparison. I suspect (but have no proof) that the G30 would be more accurate out of a mechanical rest, but shooters aren't mechanical rests.