The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old September 14, 2004, 11:38 PM   #1
Lucky Devil

Post & crosshair reticle

I just bought an old Weaver K2.5 with this reticle, which I have no practical experience with. I plan to mount it on a Marlin 336 and was wondering... is the point of aim the top of the post, or the intersection of the post and crosshair? What are the strengths & weaknesses of this style reticle?

Thanks!
Old September 15, 2004, 04:32 AM   #2
LAK

I have never liked this type of reticle, instead preferring the european style that is similar to the popular "duplex" but without the upper verticle section. This results in an excellent heavy three point reference in very low light, the retained three fine crosshair intersecting center for fine/longer range shooting, and an unobstructed view of the whole upper field.

With the post and crosshair, the point of aim is the little point that sits on top of the crosshair. Suitable for closer ranges, poor light, and medium to larger game at mid- to longer ranges respectively. Disadvantages are readily apparent; smaller targets are going to be obscured at middle distances on out. But I doubt that you will be using a 336 on small game so this shouldn't be a problem.
Old September 16, 2004, 03:26 PM   #3
Gewehr98

I have a similar crosshair setup on my 1903A4 sniper.

It was the issue reticle for the Lyman-based M73 and later M81, M82, and M84 scopes. These were 2.5x scopes, 7/8" tube diameter, and were considered pretty effective out to 600 yards, sitting on either the Springfield 1903A4, or M1C and M1D Garands. Weaver made the M73B1, also known as the Weaver 330, but it was a 3/4" tube scope of 2.5x.

My own 1903A4 has the M81, with the tapered post and crosshair reticle. The top of the chisel tip in the shooter's view above the crosshairs is the aiming point. Once you get used to it, I find it to be great in quick acquisition of the target in the scope, and not too difficult to shoot accurately. I've taken to using that portion of the tapered post above the crosshairs as an impromptu range finder.

In today's world of 8-40x56mm scopes, the old fixed power Lymans, Weavers, and Redfields are considered passe' by many. But for applications like your Marlin levergun, they may very well be perfect.

Neural Misfires
Old September 17, 2004, 02:13 AM   #4
LAK

Gewehr98,

I think with the exception of some applications many modern rifleshooters are somewhat over-scoped. I prefer the 2.75x to 4x range for general use, though sometimes a 6X is handy.
Old September 23, 2004, 07:57 PM   #5
Lucky Devil

The scope arrived today. It has that "old steel" discoloration on the tube which I kinda like. Optics are clear & bright, no distortion that I can detect. I'm a bit concerned about the FOV...doesn't seem as wide as I expected. No matter. I'm mounting it tomorrow.

Gewehr98, I'd love to know how you use this reticle as a rangefinder!
Old October 2, 2004, 12:35 PM   #6
Chuck Dye

Eschew the theoretical, embrace the empirical!

The one scope with post and crosshair reticle I have experience with was an old Bushnell in which the post was selectable through a magnetic ring. That post rose only to the intersection of the crosshairs and did not offer the choice you ask about. As a guess (with absolutely no experience to back it up!), you will naturally seek the top of the post when taking a hurried shot on moving game and should sight in for POI at the top of the post- sighted for the crosshair intersection, you would be likely to hit low. I would run some thorough tests with your chosen ammo to discover what the difference in point of impact (POI) is between the crosshairs and the top of the post and keep that difference in mind for when there is time enough to make use of it.