The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old January 24, 2005, 10:27 AM   #26
drdirk

seating the wad

Thanks to all who answered this thread I started a few months ago. It is now a little cold for BP shooting, but when the weather gets warmer ....
One more question: How doe you guys seat the wad??? Do you use the build in rod or something else? What works best and how do you know it is placed "correctly" ??

Thanks,

drdirk
Old January 24, 2005, 09:10 PM   #27
Springer45

I press the wad in with my fingertip, then tamp it down with the loading lever. Every so often one goes in crooked enough that it may not seal properly. It takes just a second to reposition it with the tip of a small screwdriver before seating it with the lever. A quick glance down the chamber will ensure that it's positioned properly.
Old September 20, 2005, 06:05 PM   #28
Remington kid

I know this is an old thread but the subject has come up several times at one time or another so I just thoiught I would ad a little for the new guy's.
I like to load the powder and wad in the cylinder's when it's out of the gun and sitting on my bench. I fill one chamber with powder and tap the side of the cylinder a little. Then I slide a wonder wad over the hole with my thumb and press down on the wad evenly to start it. The i use a 6" 3/8" doll rod to run the wad on down and seat it shugly on the powder. After each one is done I smear a little grease on the star end of the cylinder and also place some on the cylinder rod. My favorite grease is Wonder lub mixed with equal amounts of melted bees wax to "stickey" it up a little .This really helps to keep the fouling of the cylinder to a minimum. load the cylinder in the gun with the hammer on half cock and run the cylinder rod through the cylinder hole. While holding the gun standing upright on the bench, Lay a ball on the chamber hole and turn the cylinder until it's lined up (First click) with the ram rod . Run the ball down snugly over the wad seating it really well. After loading all six balls I will use a popcicle stick to fill each chamber with grease and smooth off the grease even with the top of the chamber.Now I place a cap by hand on one nipple at a time and seat the cap on the nipple with a 3/8" doll rod with a piece of leather on the end of it ( Just glue on a piece of leather and when it drys trim it to match the rod) I just use the same doll rod I used for the wad .
When your done with the caps carefully pull back the hammer and then turn the cylinder so that that you can gently let the hammer down on one of the open slots, not on a nipple!. Wipe the gun down well with a clean rag and your ready to go. Mike
Old September 30, 2005, 08:39 AM   #29
Osage

I make my own "wads" out of mutton tallow, a little liquid alox and a little beeswax. They dissolve with the charge and keep the gun real clean and lubed. I melt the ingredients in a pan so they are about 1/8" thick, let the pan cool and cut them using a 45 casing like a cookie cutter. They work great. One of these days I'm going to switch to APP and just use the felt wads as a filler.
Old October 7, 2005, 01:37 PM   #30
Gatofeo

Overall, a very interesting thread.
That's one of the things I like about shooting cap and ball sixguns, the diversity of opinion and experience. What works here in the remote Utah desert may not work as well in a hot, humid place such as Florida.
There are only a few hard-and-fast rules to loading a cap and ball sixgun:

1. Never smoke or have any open flame or spark near you while loading.
2. Use some kind of lubricant over or under the ball.
3. Use only black powder or a propellant approved for such use.
4. Never let bystanders stand to the side of your revolver while firing, or they may be injured by hot gases, particles or lead shavings.
5. Practice firearms safety at all times, to include yelling, "Cease Fire!" if you see a dangerous situation downrange or from a fellow shooter. Watch that muzzle!
6. Ensure your revolver is in good, firing condition before stoking it. If it's an old original, or a suspect reproduction, have a gunsmith check it.
7. Never shoot glass items, or anything that will leave a mess. Clean up after yourself, to include taking down paper targets and collecting tins cans for proper disposal.
8. Have fun. This isn't the Olympics with the entire world watching. If you miss a can just turn to your friends and say, "Didya see how that can jumped aside just as I fired?"
9. At home, store your gunpowder and caps properly, away from children and immature adults.
Old October 8, 2005, 09:25 AM   #31
mec

another tip: Name search Gatofeo or else read the stickies he has here and on the High Road. They will answer just about any question you might have-as well as the questions themselves CAN be answered.

As he says, there are many variables that go into how a given procedure will work.
Old October 10, 2005, 10:13 AM   #32
oldwheat

......Generally mutton tallow & beeswax, about 2 to one in favor of the tallow....At one time or another, I've used about any combo of organic fats & oils & this seems to work best for me...I've also been known to load 'dry' (with a tight fitting ball) if the gun is to be carried for extended periods...Ostensibly to prevent contamination of the powder.....Yes, I've experienced chain fires but am pretty much convinced that they are a product of sloppy fitting caps in most cases...................