The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old August 29, 2004, 05:29 PM   #1
General_Tso

.22 Hornet: Versatile Hunting Round?

Hey, Folks:

I'm kinda toying with getting a .22 Hornet barrel for my Encore. Do you think its versatile enough that I could load it light to pop animals ranging from squirrels to coyotes? Chime in!

Thanks,

"Now, you know why they call me 'Dirty Harry': Every dirty job that comes along."
Old August 30, 2004, 04:02 PM   #2
Vern Humphrey

I'm a true Hornet lover -- mine is a Kimber M82. The Hornet is fine for small game, if you use solid bullets, or load down soft points (to say, 1500 fps.) It's a great turkey gun with solids.

It will take coyotes reliably -- I like a case full of Hodgdon's Li'l Gun and the 35 grain Hornady V-Max.

I recommend using the Lee Collet dies to reload the Hornet. I put a couple of washers on the shell holder, to cause the collet to activate early and only size the last 1/4" or so of the neck, leaving an unsized portion of the neck to center the case in the throat.
Old August 30, 2004, 04:37 PM   #3
General_Tso

Oh, cool. Thanks, Vern. Think there's any advantage to 22 K-Hornet? Feel free to chine in whoever. :-)

"Now, you know why they call me 'Dirty Harry': Every dirty job that comes along."
Old August 30, 2004, 05:43 PM   #4
FF1090

Mine is the Czech ZBK-110 top-break single-shot rifle. A very accurate little rifle, with decent loads. Turkey-accurate with the Winchester soft-points.
Minute-of-squirrelhead accurate with the 45grain V-Max loads I got from a gunshow vendor. I'm picking up a die-set at next month's gunshow, and will finally start rolling my own. I have two pounds of Lil' Gun - My .357 Mag Ruger Security Six likes it too.
Vern, thanks for the tip on the collet die - I'll have to try that.

I wish I hadn't sold my Contender now. A .22 Hornet barrel woulda been nice.
Old August 30, 2004, 09:09 PM   #5
FirstFreedom

General

Encore pistol or Encore rifle? What bbl length for the encore in .22 hornet? I ask because I heard that the cartridge doesn't do well with short, 10-12ish" bbls and heavier bullets - not enough rifling twist rate to properly stabilize, at least with the "original" twist rate bbls - so check the details on the rifling twist if you're not going with a full-length 16+ bbl, or you'll probably be limited to the lightest bullets only.
Old August 30, 2004, 09:57 PM   #6
General_Tso

It's a handgun. I'll probably have Virgin Valley make me one, so twist rates and length are flexible. I favor 12" encore barrels, but I'm flexible.

Old September 2, 2004, 11:59 PM   #7
Paul Fitz Jones

Coyotes

To shoot my 46 ranch coyotes I had to have a friend dump out his butchered and skinned pig guts out 125 yards from my ranch wndow since canines can't see past a hundred yards and had to have the window open so they could not hear me open it and went to the attic window above the mosquitoes flying pattern and go to sleep with my dog in bed with me. Early in the morning he would let me know they were out there and with my 6mm Remington with a 100 gr HP at 3,000fps I would nail one as soon as it was light enough to see one or fire a mess of buckshot in that direction.

I wanted the single shot ones cause my son wantes a mountain man outfit of their skins once we got the stink out.
Police Firearms Instructor
Old September 3, 2004, 09:01 AM   #8
Ranger61

I own several 22 hornets, a Kimber 82, Anschutz 1432, Lone Eagle and a 10" contender barrel in 22 K hornet. I feel the difference in fps of the K hornet is insignificant but for reloading it is better. The sharper shoulder makes it much easier to resize the neck but maintain the shoulder than on the standard 22 hornet. The guy that posted about partially resizing the neck of the 22 hornet sounds like a good trick I haven't tried yet. I have found that the K hornet cases seem to last for about 5-8 more reloadings but it may be because I only use them in the same gun
Old September 3, 2004, 12:24 PM   #9
General_Tso

I have a soft spot for the 6mm Remington although I don't have anything chambered for it right now. I think I just like adopting underappreciated chamberings. haha

Ranger, thanks for the input on the k-hornet. What twist rate does your contender barrel have?

Old September 3, 2004, 08:55 PM   #10
swith

The Air Force considered a short barreled .22 Hornet

adequate for survival use by their pilots. Many a deer has fallen to the Hornet, altho most were head or neck shots.
Old September 4, 2004, 12:10 AM   #11
Arizona Fusilier

I tried hard to get a .22 Hornet about a decade ago; couldn't even find ONE off the shelf, new, here in Phoenix (and if we ain't gun country, there ain't none).

Settled for a .22 magnum. For the platform and use you describe, it would be adequate, and much cheaper, unless you roll your own. Augmented with .223, your bases would be covered. I dunno; is this an option with the Encore?

As you can see, though, those that have one (Hornet) swear by them. Sounds like an addiction, though.
Old September 4, 2004, 09:30 PM   #12
Ranger61

My 10" contender is an old octagon barrel from back when 22 K hornet was a factory offering. It has a 1-14" twist. My chronographed load for the Sierra 45 grain hornet bullet is 2525 FPS with AA 1680 powder. The 1-14" twist is not the best choice because I haven't yet found a 55 grain bullet that will stabilize. I have had good luck with a 50 grain Remington bullet for the 221 which I have been loading in a reduced load with Blue Dot powder that Chronos at 2110 FPS. Both loads are very accurate and will go into a single ragged hole at 50 yard and the scope I have on it is an old TC Lobo 3X scope with kind of a small tube. With a better scope it would be fun to check the group at 100 yards. If I was getting a custom barrel I think I would order one with a 1-12" twist like my 221 xp100 or my 223 barrel because you could use the full range of 224 bullets up to 55 grains.
Old September 5, 2004, 09:19 AM   #13
General_Tso

That's cool. Thanks for the input. (I'd like an XP-100. .221 Fireball is another really neat round.)