The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old August 29, 2004, 04:35 PM   #1
marine

LAR Grizzly in 50 AE

Bought one a few years back. Also bought the 45 win mag conversion for the piece. I also bought the barrel attachment for recoil reduction. I took to the range a few times, but had a problem. After the 1st 2 shots, the gun would jam - ie your tipical stovepipe where the case gets caught in the ejection port. So switch to 45 win mag ammo, same jam. Looked over the feed ramp and all looks ok - ie polished etc. So off goes the barrel shroud and we do the same thing at the range with the same results. I'm thinking that recoil has affected the rounds in the mag somehow, after 2 shots. Either the ammo itself, how the powder sets in the case, or how the ammo sits in the mag. Has anyone experianced this? Was going to send back to LAR but not sure they are still in business. Don't know why I bought the piece. On the outdoor pistol range, when I fired the piece, the other shooters moved over a couple of firing positions away. And I have to confess I was "on target" for 2 rounds, and off target after. Then they came back for info on "what the heck was that"? The range master took the pistol and proceeded to put his 1st round in the black even tho I had screwed
with the sights. Well, she's in my gun safe along with the $1.00 a round ammo. Should I get it fixed? Or is this piece just another part of the history of
"who's got the biggest, most powerfull pistol made" as the gun manufactures seemed to push at the time.
Thanks for your info - Mac
Old August 29, 2004, 07:25 PM   #2
Barkode

I can't promise I've got any useful information, as I am indeed a noob, but I'll take a stab.

My friend recently picked up a Desert Eagle .50 AE. He's had problems with Samson rounds jamming the pistol.

The Samson brass rounds seemed pitted and of low quality out of the box, while the Speer rounds were nickel cased, and looked flawless. He's had no problems with the Speer rounds.

What brand of ammo was causing your troubles?

Agreed, I am indeed a noob, but I do hope there's an explanation to the issues you are having.
Old August 30, 2004, 05:31 PM   #3
marine

Grizzly Mark V

Yo - thanks for input. Yep, I was feeding her the same ammo. But now that I think about it, it was doing the same feed malfunction using Win 45 Mag ammo. So I've kinda ruled out the ammo factor. Also don't think its the feed ramp or the barrel shroud. Tried with and without the shroud. Both calibers. Could be that spring tension could be a factor. But I'm leaning toward magazines. Everything ok except when that 3rd round is fired. Then the jam. I'm thinking that the recoil of the piece may set the rounds up in the mag for failure. The only other thing I can think of is maybe the feed ramp isn't what it should be. Anyway, thanks for input.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PICT0367.jpg (40.5 KB, 49 views)
Old August 30, 2004, 06:35 PM   #4
Barkode

No problem at all.

It just seemed that the issue was similar to the .50 AE problem I saw in the Eagle. That prompted me to mention the problems with the Samson ammo.

Given the .45 conversion factor though, it sort of doesn't make sense.

Odd, though, that it seems to be constistantly the third round.

Your idea on the magazine/spring being an issue seems solid. If the spring is tweaked somehow, it'd possibly be a cause of this problem. Just a far shot, (boo @ pun), but have you tried firing the first two, letting the gun cool down, and then firing again?

These things, given the high grain count, produce a good bit of heat, and a magazine might be affected. Again, another far shot, but a remote possibilty.

Also, and I hope my noobishness doesn't destroy me here, I take it the .45 and .50 use different mags. Are they of different, or same make?

Looks like you've got a really cool firearm here, and I'd hate to see it just locked away, when the big bore stuff is so fun to shoot.

(The .50 AE Eagle was the first handgun I shot after a few years of not shooting. After the immense grin finally subsided, I realized I had to have one.)

best wishes,

Michael
Old August 31, 2004, 12:23 PM   #5
marine

I did let the piece cool down between shots what with tweeking the sites and getting my composure back - heh heh. The .50 and .45 use diff mags but same manufacturer, the 45 slightly narrower. Also experimented with # of rounds in mag - full 5 rounds, then 4, 3, etc. I finally just loaded the 2 (1 in chamber) knowing I would have to fiddle removing that 3rd round jam. I'll look around on web to see if I can find LAR website and see if they will service the gun. Heck, its brand new, and maybe thats a factor - ie just not broken in yet. Thanks Michael
Old August 31, 2004, 01:39 PM   #6
marine

Bummer

Called LAR - Lady said that they stopped MFG of the pistol in 1998 and that they no longer service the gun. Any repairs would have to go to independant gunsmith. Oh well, maybe its time to crank her up again and at least put a box or 2 of rounds thru her to eliminate the possiblity of it just not being broken-in as opposed to broken.
Mac
Old August 31, 2004, 01:50 PM   #7
Ultima-Ratio

Extractor Tension

It's likely the extractor doesn't have proper tension, easy to tweak!
Old August 31, 2004, 03:18 PM   #8
marine

Extractor problem?

Something I didn't consider. The side of the extractor with the "notches" is pristine and all with original bluing. The opposite side shows bluing gone over the hump in the middle and a little gone just in front of the hump toward the extractor notch (front). The "bluing gone" side definately shows wear and a smoothness, like some wear gone on the hump - its polished. I'll attempt to put up some photos. This from the 50AE. The 45 win mag parts are still in the gun and I havn't had the time to look. But the extractors were part of the 50AE and 45 Win conversion kits. The wear doesn't look like it would justify putting 20 rounds thru the piece. I think you may have found the answer.
Pic 369 shows the "HUMP" wear. 370 shows no wear.
Would appreciate your input, re - how to correct.
Thanks Ultima-ratio.
Mac
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PICT0369.JPG (74.2 KB, 67 views)
File Type: jpg PICT0370.JPG (63.4 KB, 43 views)

Last edited by marine; August 31, 2004 at 03:33 PM. Reason: pics description