The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old September 9, 2005, 05:20 PM   #26
Fremmer

I'll confess: I wear camo and the orange vest on top (w/orange cap). I received the camo as a Christmas gift. I like the camo for two reasons: waterproof and it "breathes". I have a knack for getting caught in wonderful "Nebraska" weather (rain, sleet, snow, etc.) when I hunt, and the camo really helps keep me dry and comfortable. Lots of pockets for stuff, too. I wear the orange on top because it is the law, and because I don't want to get shot by another hunter. And more pockets in the vest.

Plus, it is kind of like a uniform to me. I don't have to worry about getting it dirty and stuff like that.

OK. Everyone can pile on now.....
Old September 9, 2005, 05:35 PM   #27
butch50

Quote:
I received the camo as a Christmas gift.
Free is always good.

‘‘The great object is that every man be armed. Everyone who is able may have a gun.’’ ~ Patrick Henry
Old September 9, 2005, 06:44 PM   #28
Eghad

Well heck....

I have a ton o free camo wear courtesy of over 28 years of service and the taxpayers...lol

NRA Life Member
Old September 9, 2005, 08:39 PM   #29
Long Path

Quote:
I have set in plain view...
For sitting, Camauflage is often unnecessary, if you can sit still.

When you start moving, the camauflage can really make a difference in hiding your movement.
Old September 10, 2005, 11:55 AM   #30
mtn. man

Got a closet full and dont use any of it. Mostly because the most sucessful hunters i know are two old geezers who never use camo and poke fun at anyone who does.
The older i get i kinda understand their observations and the intertainment value of younger folks.
I dont deer hunt anymore and last year i let some young folks hunt on my land. Two hunted the small overgrown ridge on the north side all season with no luck full camo even on their face.
Two hunted the moutain in heavy timber with full camo tree stands face makeup and hand held radio's
no luck either.
Each morning i watched from my deck and counted a couple of spikes one six point and one really big one [for TN] over the course of several days along with several does.
They never saw them from the tops of the ridges or mtns but they got lots of exercize carrying all that equipment up there.
Old September 10, 2005, 02:59 PM   #31
9mm1033

How long have deer been around? What about all animals that are hunted? How long has camo been produced and sold to the hunting public? I'll bet it's a commercial money making business. Ages before we started hunting, man was killing animals without camo. Hmmm.
Old September 10, 2005, 04:46 PM   #32
aspen1964

The late Howard Hill said..." a guy ought to look like a gentleman when out hunting and not some wild looking creature..." It is an advertising gimmick to cater to those who like dressing & playing commando when hunting...I rather look like and behave like a "sportsman", not a para-military man with his greasepaint.....ready to capture the enemy....Howard Hill could hunt circles around most hunters today...so could most of his contemporaries...and take that grenade out of your mouth!
Old September 10, 2005, 11:08 PM   #33
HunterTRW

I was re-reading (for the umpteenth time) the late Gene Hill's Shotgunner's Notebook, and came across his pithy (and relevant) observation on how some hunters appear to the public, and about camouflage:

"I have long wished that hunters--all of us--would give a little more thought to our public image.

"Next time you walk into a diner during the shooting season and you see your counterpart wearing his plastic orange cap, a coat stiff with old blood stains, and sporting a belt knife that would be more at home on a sugar plantation, think about how this looks to the people who don't hunt. If you were a farmer, who do you want hunting on your land? What sort of spokesman do you want when the locals start complaining about shotgun patterns on all the road signs, and the newspapers carry the traditional story about the pet dog or cow or even horse that was gunned down?

"We all talk about 'ethics.' But the simple effort of putting our best face to the public seems to have been overlooked. I somewhat resent having to wear a license the size of a wanted poster, and I have mixed feelings about being draped in hunter orange; an incarcerated felon looks like a banker by comparison. I'm ashamed that our elected officials don't trust us not to steal game or shoot each other--but whose fault is it?

"Looking better won't solve the problem--but it won't hurt you or our image. And after you've thought about it for a long time, tell me why a person out for an afternoon in a bird cover has to wear more camouflage than a combat infantryman. Maybe it's time we all grew up before it's too late."

Well said, Gene. Well said!

Good luck, and good shooting.
Old September 10, 2005, 11:37 PM   #34
CobrayCommando

Looking at the new Fall season Cabelas... Wow.

If I wore some of the stuff they have for sale in there, I would honestly feel like an idiot. Somehow I don't think I'll be needing a camoed **** bottle and portable camping rectal thermometer anytime soon.

If you wore all that stuff you would be so camoed you couldn't tell your ass from a hole in the ground.
Old September 11, 2005, 11:36 PM   #35
mgdavis

Kinda reminds me of how fishing lures are designed to attract fishermen
Old September 12, 2005, 01:36 PM   #36
DimitriS

About camo a artical in Ontario Out of Doors showed that as long as you wernt reflecting alot of UV light (someone else here mentioned it ) and you break up your outline it didnt really matter what colors etc you were wearing as long as it wasnt blue. It claimed deer notice blue better then other colors and it will get them spoked. He claimed that deer wernt color blind completly and saw things in shades of yellow for the most part.

Its the September Issue 2005 and was written by Russ Swedlyk.

By judging the pictures he edited to give about the same coloring as what deer would see I see no reason that colors would effect the effectivness of any color combination (With the exeption of wearing blue) that doesnt make you look like one big soild color to the deer.

How true that is I am unsure. But I hope this input helps

Dimitri
Old September 13, 2005, 05:50 PM   #37
kingudaroad

[IMG]http://www.thefiringline.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=&stc=1
shotgun.jpg[/IMG]I got the ugliest benelli in the world. I love ugly guns!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg shotgun.jpg (106.7 KB, 60 views)
Old September 14, 2005, 09:28 AM   #38
n3twrkm4n

I figured I'd slather myself in mud and dress up in my loin cloth like my native american relatives... but on the other hand I think I will stick to wearing Jeans, a natural colored (brown, gray, black) sweatshirt for those fall hunts and maybe a hat.

Father used to wear a wool coat (red checkered) and wool pants (red checkered as well). Seemed to work fine for all the deer he killed.

I laugh as well and kinda cringe at the Cabelas catalog cause you KNOW as sure $hit that someone out there is buying ALL the latest and greatest gear... it's usually the bow hunters . They seem to enjoy new technology after all they do buy $200 sights for their how many year old sport?
Old September 14, 2005, 04:14 PM   #39
Eightball

Here's a thought.....

...If you can afford it, go ahead. I'll be sinking my money into the firearms and ammo before I spend a penny on camo clothes, though (and we all know how addicting/$$$ consuming that can be.....)
M1 Carbine, Inland '43
Old September 14, 2005, 06:19 PM   #40
Fremmer

Kingudaroad: that's not an ugly gun! Looks fine to me.

But I'd always be afraid of setting it next to a tree, walking a few steps away, and then I can't find that darn camo'd gun for the life of me....
Old September 14, 2005, 07:03 PM   #41
n3twrkm4n

Same thing with Camo walkie talkies and other camo equipment...
Old September 17, 2005, 08:09 AM   #42
claude783

Don't know about the "expensive" camo stuff. For years have taken old coveralls and used "Ritz" dye to get the right shade of color. Then a can of spray paint to finish up.

The properly dyed coveralls give me the option of moving about without drawing unnecessary attention..
Old September 24, 2005, 08:29 AM   #43
Jack O'Conner

My (late) father always said that animals were fooled by a large plaid pattern. For many decades he wore a woolen red and black plaid hunting coat. He had it dry cleaned every year and it's now mine and still in good shape. Couldn't even guess how many deer and elk have been toppled when this coat was worn.

Camo is a great marketing strategy to sell more stuff. True Bark and Real Tree appear solid grey from only 75 yards away. Yet consider that our armed forces in WW1, WW2, Korea, and Viet Nam wore olive drab fatigue uniforms. It worked for most situations. An olive drab field jacket with liner is still a good hunting coat for those cold November hunts.

Buy whatever you want but don't assume camo stuff = success.
Jack
Old September 24, 2005, 12:09 PM   #44
Pointer

I, too, have been sitting in the open on a flat rock and eating a sandwich when two yearling fawns and their mother came into the clearing. They got so close to me that I could have poked them with my gun barrel.

It was during the hunting season.

This has happened several times in my 40+ years of hunting.

I was not wearing camo.

I think it's because I was not moving.

Does are a lot less skittish than bucks and not nearly as wary.

As was mentioned above... I didn't appear to be a threat.

The deer family keys on movement and shapes... camo breaks up your outline and tends to hide small movements.

The deer's eyes are tuned to night vision and the color receptors in their eyes are the least of their senses.

They are not color blind, but their eyes are to color, what our eyes are to darkness.

I wear camo now... but if I stink, or I move, or I make noise... the deer is outa there.

Just like the very best rifles, camoflage is meant only to assist the hunter...

not to kill, gut and butcher the quarry.
Old September 24, 2005, 04:01 PM   #45
Art Eatman
Staff Lead

Camo's justified for bird hunting. Birds see colors. Game mammals see everything in shades of gray.

, Art
Old September 24, 2005, 07:47 PM   #46
roy reali

Other Predators

Cougars and wolves do not seem to have trouble securing game not wearing the latest camo stuff.
Old September 24, 2005, 08:02 PM   #47
Trip20

Camo is justified for any occasion.
Old September 24, 2005, 08:15 PM   #48
roy reali

One Such Occasion

Espically a Cabela's sale!
Old October 8, 2005, 01:29 PM   #49
rwfisher

camo or not...

I would argue that camo can help, but isn't the be-all end-all. My father-in-law (not to mention several friends) has shot deer while wearing jeans and a t-shirt, with a thermos of coffee at his feet. Of course the deer was 200yrds away...

I myself have stalked within slapping distance (literally; if it were gun season I could have taken the deer out with the buttstock of my rifle) while wearing full camo (face paint, gloves, etc). Of course I was hunting turkey at the time....

So it really depends if you're trying to sneak into a hot deer area before setting up a stand, or sitting a good distance (hopefully downwind) watching a trail. With either situation you just want to move slowly as not to attract attention.
Old October 10, 2005, 05:02 PM   #50
dakotashooter2

The effectiveness of camo is grossly overrated especially on big game. Most of it has too small a pattern with too many colors resulting in a blending of pattern and color at a very short distance which can vary depending on the lighting conditions. Ever notice how most advertizements for camo are done under full light conditions. This allows for optimum efficiency of the given pattern. Unfortunatly as hunters we are luck if we hunt under optimum light conditions 5% of the time.This also makes camoing of small items such as gloves, facemasks, boots and etc. pretty much worthless. It is just as effective to wear varying shades of clothing. Pants one color, shirt/coat another, hat another yet and so on. Beyond 20-25 feet camo is going to look similar anyway. This weekend while stillhunting with my only camo a worn coat I had 2 bucks walk within 10 yards. One saw me and discounted my presence until he winded me and even then was not spooked. The other never saw me dispite the fact I was slowly standing up when I spotted him at 15 yards. I also tailed a small 3x3 that only got suspicious after about 45 minutes into the game and just wandered off.