The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old July 4, 2004, 10:01 AM   #1
HMSHarley

Walther PPK Jams

Can anyone tell me what I can do to fix the infamous Walther PPK Jam? Please? Thanks so much in advance. I heard there is something you can do to fix this. More Grease? Softer Spring? I have tried the more grease, and that doesn't work. I would appreciate it so much if anyone knows a fix for this. Thanks again and Happy 4 TH !!!!!
HMSHarley
Old July 4, 2004, 10:20 AM   #2
Tommy Vercetti

polish the feedramp..get it throated..load it hot..or try Glaser Safety Slugs
Old July 4, 2004, 11:51 AM   #3
Te Anau

Saying your PPK jams is like saying your refrigerator cools--its a given.
Old July 5, 2004, 01:34 AM   #4
don't shoot it's me

Mine stopped as soon as I sold it and got a j-frame.
Old July 5, 2004, 08:18 AM   #5
SouthpawShootr

How many rounds do you have through it? Mine jammed nearly every magazine until I got the round count up around 300 or so. Last trip to the range I shot 150 rounds of FMJ without a problem. Haven't tried defense ammo in it yet. I probably won't. No reason to. My Kahr PM9 is the same size and is lighter.
Old July 5, 2004, 08:21 AM   #6
Tommy Vercetti

I'm always tempted to buy one just 'cause they're good looking guns..but I've never heard of a reliable PPK
Old July 7, 2004, 03:48 PM   #7
OrangeSkies

Wow... Mine must truely be the exception to the case then. I've had my PPK/S going on 2 years and have not had a single problem of any kind whatsoever, including jams... Somewhere close to 1000+ rounds through it, so far.

[knocks on wood...]
Old July 7, 2004, 10:51 PM   #8
michael t

Well mine works fine not missed a beat since I picked it up . Got mine used don t know how maney rounds been fired all I can say every brand Ive tried has worked just fine. settled on CorBon mainly for CCW. I guess at least 2 of us got a good one. Just can t figure how they been around so long if they are so jamamatic and a pile of crap .
American Classic new home www.americanclassic1911forum.com
Old July 8, 2004, 08:45 PM   #9
wingman

Feg, smc380, Br61, smc918 and the pa63. all Walther clones, accurate,
function, and lower cost.
Old July 8, 2004, 10:19 PM   #10
Arizona Fusilier

Hmmm, I have a Manurhin PPK/S, and well I don't shoot it very much at all, I simply don't remember it being a jam-a-matic.

Since I carry it alot more than I shoot it, I guess I'll be giving it a good torture test the next time I'm at the range.
Old July 10, 2004, 12:31 AM   #11
denfoote

My PPK/S works!! No jams yet!!
Arizona: Flush the Johns!!!
Old July 10, 2004, 05:14 PM   #12
pinetree

I'll second Arizona Fusilier's comment. My Manhurin only had problems with CCI Blazers, go figure. Other than that a couple hundred rounds of S&B, Magtech and Fiocchi(sp?) no problem.

tjg
Old July 11, 2004, 09:00 AM   #13
zeke

Have a stainless Interarms .380 PPK. Never had a malfunction or jam. Saw friend at the range one day, who wanted to try it. He couldn't get through a whole mag without it jamming up. Gave it back to me, 4 mags went through it without a malfunction. His hands are significantly larger and thicker than mine, and was not used to shooting smaller blowback operated pistols, which appear to require a firmer grip for reliability (sometimes tough to do, especially with them real tiny ones).

Would first try tightening/and or changing your grip. Changed to resting pistol on palm up support hand, my usual use of using push/pull was painfull with the PPK's sharp trigger guard edges and abrupt recoil.

Would next look at the ammo being used. Never had any luck with the aluminum cased variety in .380, and check the OAL of the rounds being used. Also have a .32 acp PPK and PP, and they choked on Federal Ball, which had a OAL past specs.

Would also be very careful about excessive lubrication with the Walthers, particularly around the mechainisms on side of frame.

WMight also check to ensure you're using good condition factory mags

Last edited by zeke; July 11, 2004 at 09:01 AM. Reason: ommision
Old July 13, 2004, 12:08 PM   #14
obiwan1

My 1967 PPK used to stovepipe on factory fmj ammo. That's what got me reloading. It doesn't jam with my JHP handloads! That tells me that the recoil spring is set for higher power European ammo. My suggestion is to try CorBons and see if it continues.
Old July 13, 2004, 06:48 PM   #15
Tom2

worked for me

I have owned and fired several 60's PPK, 40's PP, and stainless PPKS. I have never noted any jamming with mine. I will admit to mostly ball ammo, with some HP tossed in for practice and function checks. But I guess my guns were all used and maybe broken in before. And I have fairly big (not fat) hands but still had good functioning. However could never get used to the constant hammer bites or just welts that happened with these guns and also the crusher DA pull. They should have improved that a little in 70 years! No longer have these guns. Got a German Makarov- dinky sights but smoother than a PP/PPK and cheaper! And cheap ammo!