The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old May 14, 2015, 07:36 AM   #1
David spargenator

Most durable handgun you can think of?

Right now I have 2 glocks and a ruger sp101. I want to start a handgun collection, and for this next one, I want something very durable. Would a glock be the best in this category? Or something else?
Old May 14, 2015, 07:42 AM   #2
TimSr

Most durable? I nominate Ruger Redhawk or if you want to go non-traditional, Thompson Contender.
Old May 14, 2015, 07:47 AM   #3
jtmckinney

Right now my Blackhawks would have to be the most durable revolvers. Of course I am not worried about my Super Red Hawk falling apart on me. Wait a minute, what about my Single Six.

For semi's it would have to be my Ruger Standard manuf. 1955 and still going strong.
Old May 14, 2015, 07:51 AM   #4
madmo44mag

Wheel gun would be a Ruger and Auto's IMHO it depends on which caliber you are looking at.
When it comes to auto loader's some manufactures make better guns in a specific caliber over others.
Old May 14, 2015, 07:59 AM   #5
4thPoint

Thompson Center.

But that's not really the question you wanted us to answer, I think.
Old May 14, 2015, 08:11 AM   #6
Doyle

Durable - simple. Mispec Makarov. Soviet version of our 1911 but less moving parts. I think you'd actually have to deliberately try to break one.
Old May 14, 2015, 08:46 AM   #7
SaxonPig

Any name brand gun will outlive the owner. I have several pistols that are 70-100+ years old and have been used extensively and are still working just fine. Avoid the cheap imports made before 1968 and you should have no worries.

I'm guessing you're a young man who has grown up in this disposable age. I grew up when things were meant to last...and be repaired if they stopped working.

105 and working fine...

84 and still banging away...

96 and works like new...

Hell, I've had the same motorcycle for 36 years...

Old May 14, 2015, 08:54 AM   #8
Mike Irwin
Staff

"Any name brand gun will outlive the owner."

I've seen more than my fair share of brandname handguns that the owner would be outliving.

The most memorable one was the retired military guy who had purchased a Beretta 92 when he was in Germany and brought it back to the US when he retired.

By his count he had nearly a million rounds through it, and it showed it. It was so far gone that Beretta pulled the plug and ended up giving him a new 92 for virtually nothing.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old May 14, 2015, 10:30 AM   #9
lee n. field

Quote:
Right now I have 2 glocks and a ruger sp101. I want to start a handgun collection, and for this next one, I want something very durable. Would a glock be the best in this category? Or something else?
makarov
"As was the man of dust, so also are those who are of the dust, and as is the man of heaven, so also are those who are of heaven. Just as we have borne the image of the man of dust, we shall also bear the image of the man of heaven. "
Old May 14, 2015, 10:33 AM   #10
lee n. field

Quote:
By his count he had nearly a million rounds through it, and it showed it. It was so far gone that Beretta pulled the plug and ended up giving him a new 92 for virtually nothing.
100 rounds a day for 30 years. Do-able, if extreme.
"As was the man of dust, so also are those who are of the dust, and as is the man of heaven, so also are those who are of heaven. Just as we have borne the image of the man of dust, we shall also bear the image of the man of heaven. "
Old May 14, 2015, 11:16 AM   #11
osbornk

I think any well maintained all steel (and maybe plastic) gun will outlast you, your children and probably your children's children. Buy what you like that works well and it will outlast you. There is a reason that many of mine have a lifetime warranty.
Old May 14, 2015, 12:35 PM   #12
jasmith85

I'm going to have to go with a Makarov as well. I am not convinced that its possible to destroy one of these guns.
Old May 14, 2015, 12:39 PM   #13
Bob Wright

Most of my guns are in the thirty to fifty year old range, and most have in excess of 15,000 rounds fired through them, one old Ruger at 20,000 rounds fired. When I wear one out, I'll let you know.

Bob Wright
Old May 14, 2015, 12:59 PM   #14
tallball

I have three handguns that are over 100 years old and still shoot very well:

S&W revolver in 32 long
S&W revolver in 38 special
Colt automatic in 32acp

The 38 has obviously been shot a LOT.
The 32 revolver shows moderate wear.
The automatic was refinished and got new springs, but the rifling looks somewhat worn.

I have quite a few handguns that I've owned for twenty years or more, shot thousands of rounds through, and still function as well (or better) than when they were new. This includes a Russian Makarov in 380 that is amazingly accurate.

I would guess that most quality handguns will last a VERY long time if you take decent care of them.
Old May 14, 2015, 01:48 PM   #15
RickB

Of course, age doesn't necessarily correlate with durability; I'm sure there are 100yo guns that have never been fired.
Toward the end of the M1911/M1911A1's service life in the '80s, there were pistols (frames) in service known to have more than 300,000 rounds through them.
I have a M1911 made in 1918 that was in military inventory for 40+ years, but no way to know how much it was shot in that time.
Old May 14, 2015, 01:51 PM   #16
JERRYS.

I had a 3953 that I can't even remember how many thousands of rounds went through it without ANY malfunction. in a revolver I still have my OSHP 681 and I cant remember how many thousands of rounds in that one either. both over 20 years old and shot the snot out of yet they were/are as good as the day I bought/was issued them, save for cosmetics....
Old May 15, 2015, 01:11 PM   #17
Ignition Override

Doyle, lee n.field and jasmith85 might be on to something. My personal experience is far too limited.
But having read so many comments over at Makarov.com etc, bought both a Bulgy plus East German Makarov in the last two months, plus a CZ-82 (also in 9x18).

The basic guns have only plastic in the grips, and despite this and their "Commie" designs...they seem to be very well designed and manufactured.

Last edited by Ignition Override; May 15, 2015 at 01:17 PM.
Old May 15, 2015, 02:48 PM   #18
jmr40

Use, or abuse? Lots of guns will stand up to a lot of use given decent care. I haven't seen any other guns stand up to the abuse Glocks have stood up to and still function. I think some of the other modern striker fired plastic framed guns may well prove just as durable. Just haven't seen anyone take one there yet.
Old May 15, 2015, 02:59 PM   #19
bricz75

Quote:
The most memorable one was the retired military guy who had purchased a Beretta 92 when he was in Germany and brought it back to the US when he retired.

It was so far gone that Beretta pulled the plug and ended up giving him a new 92 for virtually nothing.
Must have been a while ago. I don't think Beretta is that generous these days.

Quote:
I'm going to have to go with a Makarov as well. I am not convinced that its possible to destroy one of these guns.
Which country's Makarov, though?
Old May 15, 2015, 03:15 PM   #20
Doyle

Quote:
Which country's Makarov, though?
They all function exactly alike (except for the safety on the very late Suhl production). The only real difference is the fit and finish. The EG Maks tend to be a little better in that department.
Old May 15, 2015, 03:27 PM   #21
laytonj1

There are documented cases of Glocks going over 100,000 rounds. I have not seen such for any revolvers.

Jim
Old May 15, 2015, 03:29 PM   #22
BOBA FETT

pretty much anything made by ruger, smith and wesson m&p series and sigma pistols....and of course glock... all these are durable and reliable guns...
Old May 15, 2015, 09:24 PM   #23
hornetguy

I would nominate the Ruger Redhawk in .357 mag...... I don't think it would be possible to wear one out. Ever.
Old May 15, 2015, 09:28 PM   #24
roashooter

Ruger Old Army...been shooting mine continuously since 1974....still as tight as day one....have polished the scatches out of the stainless steel so much it now looks like the new high polished ones...
Old May 15, 2015, 09:52 PM   #25
JohnKSa
Staff

When you look at how much it costs to buy enough ammo to wear out a good quality gun, it becomes obvious that agonizing over the durability differences in various quality designs is pretty pointless.

It's also worthwhile to consider the fact that if one owns multiple handguns the shooting wear will generally be spread over more than one handgun which increases the lifespan (in years) considerably compared to what would be expected if one shot a single handgun exclusively.