The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Closed Thread

Old July 22, 2000, 10:59 AM   #1
Galco Kid

Which TWO assault rifles would you recommend for deer hunting and why? Thanks in advance for any suggestions as to the "Top Two" weapons of choice.
Galco Kid
Old July 22, 2000, 11:12 AM   #2
Bongos

Realistically, you don't need to use Assualt weapons to hunt deer; because assualt weapon are too expensive and you want to do the job with one shot. Personally, I can't see going into the forest with an AK47 to hunt for Bambi. That said, my experience comes from the back woods of South Dakota/Minnesota. SKS rifles are extremely popular in that area. The 7.62x39 ammo has similar ballistics to a 30-30; a round heavy enough to penetrate brush to hit the target. Other than the SKS.. I think the British Enfield or Masin Nogate will do the job. Galils, AKs,ARs,FALs,FNCs,etc...just brings unwanted attention..plus for hunting, I don't think you can have more than 3 to 5 rounds in the gun anyways, which brings to the fact that these assult rifles are quite heavy when "loaded". Anyways, no flames intended, I can see your point if a war comes up and these are the only type rifles available; still if that's the case, a scoped 308 is still my best option.

By the way a used 30-30 goes for $150-$200 and that's plenty good for deer.

[This message has been edited by Bongos (edited July 22, 2000).]
Old July 22, 2000, 11:15 AM   #3
Southla1
Member In Memoriam

There are many better choices than "assult" rifles for deer hunting. If I had to choose a military rifle to hunt deer with It would have to be one chambered for the 7.62NATO (.308) or the 30-06. In ought-six that means usually the M1. It will do the job sure but there are many better suited to deer hunting.

------------------
Carlyle Hebert
Old July 22, 2000, 12:31 PM   #4
NJW

I have been known to use my HK91 (.308 Win) to hunt deer. I use a 5 rd mag and also have a scope clamped on and the sniper trigger group. I have never felt undergunned when using it.

NJW in AZ
Old July 22, 2000, 01:36 PM   #5
Nukem

I've used an HK91 with softpoints and a claw mounted scope, just because they don't want to call it a "sporting" rifle I took two deer from a treestand with it.
Old July 22, 2000, 08:13 PM   #6
Nanook

GK:

My deer hunting has all been on Kodiak Island, Alaska. The only individual I've ever seen there hunting deer with an "assault rifle" (AR15) was someone who possessed neither the moral fiber nor the integrity to partake in the privilege of the hunt and the killing of an animal.
I witnessed (from a neighboring peak) him go through 17 semi-auto rounds trying to put an animal down.
Obviously this was one individual, but why use an assault rifle to hunt deer? Growing up we got one round in the chamber...that was it. If we couldn't humanely and efficiently kill an animal with one responsible, well-placed shot we had no business taking that shot...out of respect for the animal and out of respect for the Hunters Ethics.
Sorry, I know you might be the most upstanding citizen in the woods, but for me the issue of assualt rifles used for hunting has been shaped by my experience with this "bad apple," and I felt obliged to respond.

Nanook
Old July 22, 2000, 08:19 PM   #7
RikWriter

I have taken whitetail with an HK91, an FAL and an AR15. BTW, 55 grain FMJ out of a 16 inch barrelled AR variant put down the deer with one shot each at distances out to 200 meters, so anyone that took 17 shots to kill a deer with a 223 was either hunting mulies or was a really bad shot.
Old July 22, 2000, 08:50 PM   #8
Robert Foote

Bill Clinton says you don't need one for that. But if I did it would be the M1A with a 5 rd mag.

------------------
Old July 22, 2000, 09:31 PM   #9
Southla1
Member In Memoriam

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Robert Foote:
Bill Clinton says you don't need one for that. But if I did it would be the M1A with a 5 rd mag.[/quote]

If you had to use an "assult rifle" the M1A is the best choice going. In Louisiana only shotguns are limited in magazine capacity. A rifle has no limit on number of rounds for hunting, and as far as Bill Clinton who would believe him on anything?

------------------
Carlyle Hebert
Old July 22, 2000, 09:36 PM   #10
JimR

I fail to understand the hunter "purists" being "down" on someone for wanting to use an EBR (Evil Black Rifle) to go hunting.

I agree on the ethics of "one shot - one kill". You have no business hunting if you are spraying and praying. However, I see no difference in using a nice, semi-politically correct Browning .308 auto versus, say, an FAL.

I do think that at least a 7.62x39 should be used - and I'm sure I'll catch it from the .223 guys over that.

Top two? How about FAL and SKS? Gives you low-priced and medium-priced alternatives. Be careful about any local regs on mag capacity while hunting. Low-cap is easy with an SKS, more difficult with FAL. Not an issue where I live.

[This message has been edited by JimR (edited July 22, 2000).]
Old July 22, 2000, 09:38 PM   #11
Nukem

Nanook, The HK is a .308 and with JSP ammo I had one shot kills, just like a bolt gun. It's called fieldcraft (Don't tell, but I'm an archer)
Old July 22, 2000, 10:33 PM   #12
Badger Arms

NO NO NO NO NO NO NO..... You're all missing the point here. An assault rifle by definition has the capability to fire fully-automatic. Have you all given up on this one or what?

NOBODY SHOULD HUNT ANIMALS WITH A FULL-AUTO.

My personal opinion is that a semi-automatic is nearly always heavier and less accurate than a bolt action of similar quality. It is my sincere belief that the Mauser 98 is the most effective rifle for hunting anything anywhere.
Old July 22, 2000, 11:10 PM   #13
MrBlonde

Actually, we do need these "assault weapons" for hunting. Most "assault weapons" fire potent cartridges ideal for hunting small, medium, and large game. Examples: AR15 .223 small game/medium game, AK47 7.62x39 small/ medium game, all good. FAL's, HK's, all perfectly good hunting guns.
Old July 22, 2000, 11:25 PM   #14
Destructo6

No one should use a military style rifle to hunt deer or any other game. You know, like those Mausers and whatnot. Come on, there's absolutely nothing wrong with it.

If I could still hunt in CA using one of my "assault weapons," I'd grab either the HK or FAL, each in .308. The AK and AR I reserve for varmint hunting. As things are today, I'll probably use either the Enfield No4Mk2 or Mosin-Nagant M44. I suppose the Garand would do, but I don't really want to drag that through the woods.
Old July 23, 2000, 12:21 AM   #15
Kevinw

I have used an AR15 to hunt with before. If you are comfortable using the .223 round to hunt wiht a Flattop AR is the perfect base. Just keep in mind that most states limit you to 5 rounds in a semiauto. I like a Semi Auto for hunting becuase of the Quick Followup you get. If for some reason the first round does not drop the target I want the second one as fast as possible. If you will not or can not use a .223 then think about an AR10. Same Design as the AR15 and still has an intergrated Scope rail.
Old July 23, 2000, 04:21 AM   #16
Badger Arms

There's really no need to get defensive about 'military style' weapons here. If you have one and would like to hunt with it, that's your right and they are effective weapons. It's just rediculous to search out a weapon designed to hunt people for the purpose of hunting deer. The question posed was about which was the best assault rifles to hunt with. The answer is 'none of the above'. Quick follow-up shots can be had with a lever or pump gun. There are even a few solid semi-autos on the market like the M-14 and AR-10 which are capable of great accuracy. Why spend $1200 on one of these when a new Ruger and Decent Scope will cost half of that, weigh much less, and is easier to mount a scope on? Heck, what's wrong with the Mini-30? It's certainly not an Assault Rifle and won't cost you an arm and a leg.

Again, I'm NOT saying we don't need ASSAULT RIFLES. I'm saying that they have their place but not on the hunt. Sheez.

1) Assault rifles are capable of Selective Fire.

2) Assault rifles are chambered for intermediate power rounds.

3) Assault rifles should not have to be hunted with to be accepted by the Government and People as viable and useful in the hands of citizens.

Heck, I'm on your side. I don't see the need to steer the poster in the wrong direction because you think I want to take away your FAL's and HK91's. I'm saying that the advantages they have on the battlefield are not the same as the necessities of a hunting arm.

My answer: Ruger Mini-30 and Barret M-82A1... YEAH BABY!!! http://www.snipercentral.com/m82.htm http://www.ruger-firearms.com/rfpages/km30.html

[This message has been edited by badgerarms (edited July 23, 2000).]
Old July 23, 2000, 06:50 AM   #17
JimR

I think we're getting a little hung up on definitions here. I really doubt that when Galco Kid asked his question, that he was considering select-fire weapons. I guess he should have said "assault-style" rifle.

If we're going to get technical, the M-14, AR10, and FAL are battle rifles, as they fire a full power round. The common definition of assault (-style) rifle specifies a reduced power round like the .223 and 7.62x39.

Finally, on accuracy of traditional hunting long guns versus an assault (-style) or battle (-style) rifle: for my purposes, all these guns are plenty accurate. Where I'm at here in the East, I would rarely (never?) havve a need to take a shot at over 100m. I guess if you're out West shooting mulies at 250m+, then greater accuracy of a bolt gun *might* come into play - though there are some real tack-driver AR10's and M-1A's out there, and do those out West really shoot at that kind of range?
Old July 23, 2000, 09:42 AM   #18
mcshot

Show some class and use a single shot or repeating hunting rifle. I like Nanook have seen and heard of 'assult rifles" used during deer season and they are neither pretty nor impressive.
I also like the way Nanook addressed the eithics of hunting which is what we must practice.

------------------
"Keep shootin till they quit floppin"
The Wife 2/2000
Old July 23, 2000, 11:02 AM   #19
4V50 Gary
Staff

The BAR of WWII fame! Browning Antelope Rifle.
Old July 23, 2000, 01:58 PM   #20
Jaeger

Sticking strictly to the question asked I would choose one of the AK47 varients first. Probably a Valmet in 7.62X39. I would choose the Valmet due to it's superior iron sights. I specified the 7.62X39 because of ballistics. It is very close to the 30-30 and none here will dispute the effectiveness of that round.

My second choice would be an M16. It has good sights and can be very accurate. Accuracy is very important when hunting deer with a .223.

These would not be my first choices in deer rifles but they are my choices when limited to using an assault rifle. My choices would definitely change if we were to include battle rifles.

Know the capabilities of your rifle, your cartridge and yourself. Stay within these limits and you can successfully and ethically hunt with most anything.
Old July 23, 2000, 02:41 PM   #21
hickok45

All of my shooting is at targets on my range, or someone else's range; however, if I were a deer hunter, I'd be torn between my Marlin Guide Gun and my M1-A with 5-rd. mag. I personally think the M1-A is a very classy looking rifle, as is the Garand, and doesn't necessarily fall in the "evil black rifle" category that antagonizes the Left.

Greg

------------------
"Happiness is a warm gun" John Lennon 1966
Old July 23, 2000, 03:57 PM   #22
223bender

many a deer has been taken by poachers with .22 rimfire. I'm not defending poaching or the practices they use to get their kills it stands to reason that shot placement, stalking skill and terrian knowledge are all much more important than than the caliber of the weapon used. Heck, our ancestors used spears to bring down much larger animals. A heart-lung shot will bring down any animal with any caliber weapon and knocking off a foot or an antler with .50 BMG will insure that your plate is empty back at camp.
Old July 23, 2000, 05:38 PM   #23
DougB

I find it interesting (and disheartening) that some hunters on this board seem to automatically ascribe the same negative connotations to military-style semi-auto rifles that the anti-gun crowd does.

If we are willing to say that a semi-automatic .308 has no place in the field hunting deer, then its a small leap to say it has no place in civilian hands at all (which is exactly what the antis believe).

I'm NOT saying that we have to hunt with these rifles to make them "legitimate" - I'm saying that we can't let the "evil" look of ANY gun lead us to condemn it, or its owner, in using it in any legal way he or she desires.

I own a number of semi-auto "assault rifles." I probably wouldn't take them deer hunting (at least not as my first choice). It is true that they are generally heavier and not quite as acccurate as traditional hunting rifles. But they would certainly get the job done if someone wanted to hunt with one. I understand the reaction, but I think, as gun owners, we need to try very hard to stick together on this issue and not fall into the trap of condemning others because they are interested in different guns than we are. Now that I think about it, maybe if thousands of Californian's had taken to hunting deer with their AKs, it would have been tougher to ban them; and people wouldn't have the negative reaction to them that many now do.

Now that I've got that off my chest...I'd probably say an AK clone (SAR-1?) in 7.62x39 for close range, and an FAL, HK91, or M1A in .308 for longer ranges.

Doug
Old July 23, 2000, 05:53 PM   #24
Badger Arms

Doug, this discussion is not really relevant to this post, but it's interesting nonetheless.

You're falling into the trap that's set by the antis, including Clinton with his duck hunting excursion. It's the 'sporting purposes' crap that gets touted even by some of the strongest opponents of gun control. This theory holds that the right of a person to keep an bear arms stems from some primitive natural right to hunt. BULLS@#T. Our right to keep and bear arms stems from our NATURAL RIGHT OF SELF DEFENSE. My opposition to the use of 'assault-style' weopons to hunt is purely one of weight, accuracy, and cost. Why does this have to turn into a justification for assault rifles based on their usefulness for something they weren't intended for?

I'll shoot from the hip. I want my AR-15 because it's my constitutional right and because the security of a free state requires it.
Old July 23, 2000, 06:05 PM   #25
rellik74

I like the orig, assault rifle the M1 Grand
Closed Thread