The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old May 30, 2004, 01:02 AM   #1
jmstr

Scope mounts for 95 Mauser: no drill or drill?

I am going to put a scope on my 1895 Chilean Mauser 7mm and the first issue I have is the issue of whether to install a Leopold drill and tap type base or the no-drill base that I found at gunaccessories.com [http://www.gunaccessories.com/Milita...user/index.asp]. I know that the drill and tap is the standard for scope mounts, but I like the idea that I can install the other one and not have to change my bolt and safety over as well. The only question is how durable it is?

My expected usage will me sub-300 yard target shooting for fun: not hunting and not competition. Although, if I get good enough, I wouldn't mind the competition events. I am just looking for something to let me use a scope because the rifle has been sporterized in the 60s with a peep sight and I can't hit the broad side of a barn [or the ocean, while I'm at it] with this sight. I do fine with the scope on my other rifle or the iron sights on my Marlin 39 lever action: or my pistols. I just can't hit anything with peep sights. Thanks for any/all advice.

Last edited by jmstr; May 30, 2004 at 01:03 AM. Reason: fixing internet link
Old May 30, 2004, 11:39 AM   #2
Oldphart

Scope mounts for 95 Mauser...

There is the possibility that the problem may not involve the sights. You say you shoot well with another rifle equiped with a scope so I assume you're a competent shooter, but the rifle itself may be inherently inaccurate.

I think I'd have a friend shoot it, using the peep sights, to see how he does. If he shoots it reasonably well you will then have reason to mount a scope on it. If he can't hit the barn either, then you'll know it's the rifle and no sight will help.

I hope your friend does well, otherwise the new barrel will add considerably to the sxpense of accurizing. FWIW, if you're going to mount a scope on a rifle, you ought to MOUNT it. Drill and tap the holes and bend the bolt handle. IMNSHO, anything else is a kludge, looking for an opportunity to fall off.
Old May 30, 2004, 02:07 PM   #3
jmstr

actually, my neighbor loves my Mauser because it is so easy to hit whatever he aims at. Thus, I think the problem is me. My dad [long story] was a marine and loves peep sights, but I learned to shoot from my mom [rifle] and grandmother [pistol], and never used peep sights until I was 28. They just feel unnatural to me. I can never get the height adjusted right for them.

To add to the problem I put a new stock on the rifle, as the old one was cracked in 2 places. The new stock has a nice high cheek 'comb?' and I can't see through the peep sights unless I shave an inch of wood off the stock. Since I could never hit anything with the peep sights anyway, I figured I'd just put a scope on it and solve two problems at once: the scopes optics would be lined up with the new eye position [due to the new stock] and I could HIT what I aimed at.

I know I'm not that good of a shot in general, but I can usually put the bullet where I want it with any rifle I use that does not have peep sights. No matter whose rifle it is, Peep sights and me just don't seem to mix well.