The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old May 25, 2004, 04:08 PM   #1
Prof

Ruger No. 1 Rifle

After reading the thread below on single-shot rifles, I was perusing Ruger's site and looking at the Ruger No. 1 rifle in Standard and Varminter configurations. Very nice rifles! I have two Ruger rifles, a M77 in .223 and a M77-22. Both had lawyer-proof triggers out of the box which I had to fix by installing aftermarket triggers/sears. Do the No. 1's, since they are much more expensive, have a better/good trigger as they come from the factory? I would love to hear from anyone who has one of these beautiful rifles on any advice regarding getting the Varminter vs. the Standard, etc. (I will be using the rifle for range target shooting only.) Thanks!
Old May 25, 2004, 05:23 PM   #2
kudu

I have 2 # 1's, My first was in .338 Win mag and I took it to Africa to hunt with. The second on is a .223 with a heavy contour barrel. The # 1's have a pair of allen screws if IIRC that will adjust travel and weight of the trigger. It ahs been a long time since I have messed with them I'm going from memory.

Now #1's can be real finicky with loads and forearm tension. There is a way to float the forearm but it takes a little bit of home gunsmithing with taps and screws. The best bet is to play around with different loads and come up with one that groups well. I had a h*** of a time getting the .338 to group and did the floating forearm and it came right in line with 1/2 to 3/4 groups with big heavy hunting bullets. So far the .223 has grouped well since I got it with no tweaking at all except for lightening the trigger to about 3lbs.
Old May 25, 2004, 07:36 PM   #3
Bob C

I previously had a #1B in .270, and currently have one in .243. Both were fairly accurate as they came from the box, and both improved greatly when I followed Elmer Keith's advice and put a ring of rubber from an inner tube under the fore arm screw. That allows consistent,but buffered, tension.
Old May 25, 2004, 11:20 PM   #4
Tamara
Moderator Emeritus

No.1's are beautiful, elegant rifles.

They also frequently have less-than-stellar accuracy out-of-the-box.

The problem with adjusting the trigger is that the No.1 uses a radiused sear engagement; make sure that you use a 'smith who has experience with these triggers, as they're not the world's easiest to work with...
Old May 26, 2004, 03:19 PM   #5
slabsides
Member In Memoriam

My very early #1 in .222 is the star of my smaller caliber rifles. It has nice Alexander Henry style wood, came with a wonderful trigger, and groups under 3/8 moa with the vintage Redfield 3x9 aboard. There is evidence that fore-end contact with the front of the receiver and the hanger has a great deal to do with accuracy. And of course, the right load helps. I've had fairly extensive experience with #1's in .30-06, .270 Win., 7mm Mauser (this one had a full stock) and 6mm Rem. All but the standard style 6mm could be made to shoot very well...and the 7mm is about the perfect light stalking rifle. The marque has its faults...but a good specimen is a pearl beyond price.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_7.JPG (199.1 KB, 1194 views)
Old May 26, 2004, 04:57 PM   #6
Prof

Thank you all for your replies! Lots of good information. It seems that the forend pressure thing is an accuracy point for all Rugers. Good info on the trigger, too. Thanks, again.
Old May 26, 2004, 08:03 PM   #7
C. D. Beaver

I own a Ruger No. 1V in .22-250 that is supposed to be a great varmint rifle. When I first fired it, I couldn't believe what a horrible trigger it had. I quickly fired off a very nasty letter to Ruger about their CYA lawyers. Never got a reply.

Best solution I could think of at the time: I sent for a Moyers trigger and had it installed. While not a target-shooter's dream, it is so much better than the factory job.

My advice to any Ruger No. 1 owner: Get rid of the factory trigger and get an after-market replacement.

What is most disappointing to me is that such a premium-priced, beautiful piece of firearm could be so crappy out of the box.
Old May 26, 2004, 09:44 PM   #8
Gewehr98

And for the Ruger #1 owner who has to have it all...

Don't forget the Kepplinger single-set trigger. My own #1S in .45-70 will have one installed in the not-too-distant future.

Kepplinger trigger:

And where it will go:

Neural Misfires
Old May 27, 2004, 12:10 AM   #9
PJR

I hunted with a #1A in .270 for several years and initially I was unenthused about the accuracy. 3 shot groups would go into 1-3/4" and 5 shot groups around 3 to 4".

However I noticed at a range session that from a cold barrel the rifle shot to the point of aim every time. The second shot went in almost on top of the first. The third shot went high stretching the group to 1-3/4" and making it look like an elongated triangle. Shots four and five stretched the group even further. It did this very consistently, group after group.

My approach to the rifle changed. Having the first shot or two go where they were supposed to was more important than a five shot group from the bench. It is, after all, a single shot hunting rifle and attempting to apply a five shot benchrest standard didn't seem to make much sense. You weren't going to be firing it five times.

The trigger on mine broke around 4 pounds. I would have liked it a bit lighter but could live with it because it had other qualities I appreciated. The rifle was a joy to carry in the woods and it handled more like a shotgun than a rifle. The #1 for me had more practical accuracy. I could place my shot quickly and with confidence that it would go where I wanted it. I took my share of game with that rifle and only gave it up when I focused all my attention on wingshooting.
Old June 19, 2004, 05:13 PM   #10
YosemiteSam357

I've always loved #1s, and am considering one for my next rifle. This gun will be used exclusively for targets. Until recently I'd been thinking about bolt guns, specifically the Savage 12BVSS-S. It's only about $100 less than a #1, and it has a lot of features one expects on a modern target rifle, which the Ruger lacks.

Am I nuts for even considering a #1, given the other options in the price range? They are elegant and beautiful, but can they hold their own against a modern bolt gun?

Finally, how about maintenance? It doesn't get much easier than pulling a bolt. Does the #1 action disassemble easily for cleaning, such that you don't have to go through contortions to keep solvent out of the action, etc?

-- Sam
Old June 20, 2004, 12:55 PM   #11
Paul B.

OK, I don't consider myself an expert on Ruger 31 rifles, but I do have 15 of the little jewels so I do know a little about them. My #1V is a tackdriver in .223 Rem. All but one of my #1B's shoot sufficiently decent groups that I would not hesitate to use them hunting. In fact, the .300 Win. Mag will put three shouts into .375" from the bench with ammo it likes. One 30-06 hits right at point of aim on the first shot, then places the rest of the group 6 inches low. I've been fighting that one since 1975. Most of my #1As shoot well, except the 7x57 which had to go back to the factory to have a new barrel. The original barrel had a throat over two inches long which was way out of specs. My three Tropicals, a .375 H&H, .404 Jeffery, and .416 Rigby are all good shooters.
I also have a custom (?) job that somebody restocked and placed a Remington barrel in .223 Rem. Not a very good shooter yet, but I just started playing with it. It has the sweetist trigger I have ever seen on a Ruger #1. My shooting buddy who is into serious competition really liked it. He felt it was the nicest trigger he's seen on a #1 as well, and he shoots several #1's.
Regarding the trigger, most of my rifles have the old style trigger that was truly adjustable and they work well. Although the newer trigger has two screws that are supposed to adjust, AFAIK, they don't.
I consider a Ruger #1 to be like a high maintenace car. You have to enjoy tinkering with it, trying to tickle it's fancy in order to make it shoot.
My biggest complaint though is Ruger does, IMHO, a downright crappy job sealing the stock. I got caught in a very heavy rainstorm with my .300 Mag. #1, and it took that rifle almost five years before it dried out enough to return to where it was sighted in. Until it did, accuracy was downright squirrely.
Nevertheless, I like the rifles and enjoy the challenge of getting close enough to make that first shot count. With the crappy four day seasons we have here in Arizona, success doesn't always come easily, and sometimes I get skunked. But one thing is for sure, one of my #1 rifles will be on the hunt with me, win or lose.
Now, if I could only win the lottery so I could buy a dakota #10.
Paul B.
Old November 2, 2006, 09:36 AM   #12
glenn heryford

ruger # 1 300 mag

I live in central montana and some of our shooting here( infact most) is long range. I have found that my ruger number 1 shoots EXTERMELY well with a 200 grain spbt loaded with 67 grains of IMR 4350 that is two grains below the maximum load, the recoil is noticably less than the max and the accuracy is super. EABCO put on an OPS muzzle brake( works great) and the rifle became a joy to shoot. I do intend to install a kepplinger trigger this next summer and possibly a LIlja barrel, however I dont know as the barrel is necessary as the rifle shoots quite well now. Lapping also helped the barrel I hand lapped it when I first got it. in short ....A GREAT RIFLE

Last edited by glenn heryford; November 3, 2006 at 11:47 PM.
Old November 2, 2006, 10:04 AM   #13
Ruger4570

My #1 is a 45-70 and it is my 2nd one, the other being a 7mm Mag. I haven't seen a lot of inaccuracy with the 45-70, I suspect it is because of the heavy barrel and its associated stiffness. The gun will shoot the right loads into under 2" all day, even the lead slugs. Of course 2" groups are Varmit quality, but sure good enough for deer and bear.
Old November 3, 2006, 01:06 AM   #14
Budman2

#1 270

The good new: You'll ove the falling block action (at least I do), and the discipline that a single shot requires of the hunter. The gun handles extremely well.. the action saves at least 3 inches of wasted "reciever" length that makes the gun handle superbly, and it is ambidextrious... I've shot as many deer leftie as righie..just so happened that equal number of opportunities appeared on either side of my stand (over the years) and it takes less detectable motion to move the rifle to the shoulder closest to the target.

The bad news: it's a tough bugger to sight in.... and is finicky about ammo.. and if (Goodness forbid) attach a sling to the barrel lug provided, and actually use it to make your hold more stationary..it will throw every shot WAY off the target.

Ideas of accuracy: YES - make sure the barrel floats (not that big of a deal). Don't use a sling, at least for shooting... carrying should be no problem. Test test test your ammo, and shoot (as much as possible) with a COLD barrel.... (bring another gun to the range and let Ur#1 rest between rounds). In terms of ammo.. I find mind shoots better with lighter loads .. and my shoulder doesn't mind in the least.. and never had a problem bringing down game with one shot using ballistic tip bullets.
Old January 2, 2007, 06:51 PM   #15
David Phillips

Accurize Ruger #1

Does anyone know of a book(s) or specific articles that deal with this problem in detail? I have a Ruger #1 in .243 that has a tendency to string shots.
Old January 2, 2007, 09:19 PM   #16
paknheat

I have a #1 in 7mm Rem Mag. It too suffers from the forend pressure and heat . It will however, cut the X out of the target with my first shot. I have taken quite a few WhiteTails with it and never need more than one shot. It was a gift from my dad and i may get the forend floated one day.
Old January 3, 2007, 02:24 AM   #17
stevelyn

I have a #1 RSI with the Mannlicher stock in .30-06. I've been a long time bowhunter and the Ruger #1 tends to fit my personality and hunting style.

I must have gotten lucky in the accuracy department because it shoots both 150 and 180 grain loads about as well as I can hold it with iron sights. The moose I've killled with it didn't complain.

I'd like to get a stainless/laminate #1 in .375 H&H.

Squished bugs on a windshield is proof the slow/heavy bullet theory works.
Old January 7, 2007, 01:31 AM   #18
BLKLABMAN

Not to hijack, but I have a question

Does the No.1 Stainless Standard with it Laminate stock and forearm, suffer from accuracy problems also?
Old January 7, 2007, 02:31 PM   #19
rahtreelimbs

From what I have gathered reading on different sites about the Ruger No. 1 (I bought my first one this year) is that the older ones seem to be tack drivers while the newer ones (have no idea what year trhis started) are either hot or cold!

By this I mean either they shoot or they don't. I am fortunate that the Ruger No.1B that I own in .300 Win Mag is hot...........shoots a 13/16" 3 shot group!!!
Old January 7, 2007, 06:25 PM   #20
bobhwry

Ruger #1's are beautiful and classic in design! Not the most accurate out of the box but with a little tweaking and the right ammo will shoot fine. Any serious gun owner should have at least one!
Old January 7, 2007, 06:46 PM   #21
MacGille

Problem is that the falling block action is less stiff than a bolt action. All of the tinkering in the world wont make it shoot like a good bolt action. That said, the #1 is a good hunting rifle and certainly is elegant in looks. If you are going to do target shooting my advice is to go for a bolt action rifle. The #1 will never be as good for making small groups. (I know, someone out there has one that shoots 1/4 MOA, but that's an anomaly)
Old January 7, 2007, 07:59 PM   #22
BLKLABMAN

I love the looks of the No.1.
If I bought one, it would be used for deer hunting and maybe a Caribou hunt(if I can talk the wife into letting me go).

I'm not looking to keyhole shot's, but I am leary about the accuracy problems. Especially when people are saying, that after the first shot, the next round is impacting as far away as 6".
Old June 3, 2009, 12:48 PM   #23
cycledoc1949

ruger #1

I recently bought a previously owned Ruger No 1 in 7mmMag with a 26 inch barrel- after bore sighting at my local gun shop, I took it out to give it a try,took 3 shots to bullseye and the next 4 shots were covered by a dime, using 140 gr Federal Premium ammo-expensive but worth it.This is my third No1 (previously had in 7x57 Mauser and 220 swift).No problems with accuracy or reliability with any of them-and the design is a beautiful classic!
Old June 3, 2009, 02:13 PM   #24
fisherman66

I don't know how much value it will be since this thread is 5 years old, but my 2 year old #1 RSI in 7x57 has a very nice trigger breaking at 4 pounds with very little creep or over travel; clean breaking. Not worth an upgrade unless I went with a set trigger (which seems silly on a hunting rig).

I have a 1-4 power scope on top and it holds an easy 1.5" 3 shot group at 100 yards. I always know where that first shot is going to land within .5". I couldn't ask for more in a working rifle. And...she's under a yard in OAL. Perfect stalking rifle.
Old June 3, 2009, 02:28 PM   #25
Kreyzhorse

I have a Ruger No. 1 in 45-70 gov't and could not be more pleased with its accuracy. After buying it on a whim (I didn't know a whole lot about them) I was concerned about possible accuracy issues. The first time I shot it with open sights, it was inaccurate as hell. Turns out it was my eyes, not the gun. After dropping a 3x9 on it, I'm very pleased with it's accuracy and the gun as a whole.

My buddy has a No. 1 in .375 H&H and he is very happy with his. Very accurate and has taken it on Western hunting trips with good results.