The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Closed Thread

Old September 17, 2007, 10:42 AM   #26
bigghoss

how about.45-70? j/k I've kinda always wanted one in .38 special and one in .45colt/410
Old September 17, 2007, 11:06 AM   #27
BillCA

If we stick to commercial ammunition, then I'd probably opt either for the old High Standard .22 Mag DAO or a pair of American Derringer .32 H&R Magnum models.

The .22 WMR is a potent round that will penetrate well even from a derringer at short range (7-15 ft). And the muzzle bark from these little rounds is pretty ferocious. I know of a local sheriff's deputy that fired his twice at a perp on a car stop and permanently ended the argument.

The .32 H&R Magnum, likewise, is potent and a fairly small package. In my 15oz S&W 431PD recoil is negligible and a similar weighted derringer would likewise not be bad, allowing fast follow-up shots. Even the 98gr LRN might penetrate pretty well as opposed to the 85gr JHP.

I'm tempted to say .380ACP might also be good, though penetration might be lacking even with FMJ ammo.

Being a .41 Magnum fan too, I can only cringe at how much pain a 175gr STHP at 1250 fps (4") would generate. Better would be a 170-180gr LSWC rated at 950 fps from a 4" stuffed into a derringer. Then it wouldn't matter if it keyholed or not. Still, that's gonna sting when it goes off.
Old September 17, 2007, 11:17 AM   #28
Magnum Wheel Man

this is what I use in my 3" air weight K frame... I'd bet my life on this stuff... you see the size of those hollow points ??? you could take a bath in one of those...

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 44 special ammo.JPG (47.7 KB, 1480 views)
Old September 17, 2007, 07:59 PM   #29
2cooltoolz

Google brought me here...

And I'll never leave!!!
Old September 17, 2007, 10:14 PM   #30
skeeter1

I've only got one, a 40-some year old High Standard DM-101 derringer in .22WMR that I inherited from my dad. I still take it out to the range once in a while just to scare people with the noise and muzzle blast that comes out of the little thing. It's accurate enough for what it was intended for, that being killing the cheat on the other side of the poker table. Beyond that, it's not much good. And if you missed someone, odds are you could find them easily -- they'd be the one with their hair singed from the flames!
Old September 18, 2007, 12:09 AM   #31
2cooltoolz

High Standard DM-101

I really disagree with the accuracy comments on the High Standard derringer. I hit as well or better with mine as with any "pocket size" pistol. I'm not talking 25 yards here!! But at 7 to 10 yards it is "in the pocket" everytime. I don't believe there is a true derringer ( a six inch barrel is NOT my idea of a derringer!) that is more accurate. NAA mini... 1 1/8"? barrel.
The .22 mag is not a .44 mag or .357 mag, but the Louisiana Highway Patrol carried these as official backups for years.
I'd rather have a .22 mag than a .25 or .32. I just wish they held more than two rounds (reloading is tougher than you would expect also; wouldn't want to do it in stress in the dark)
Old September 18, 2007, 03:16 AM   #32
Bill DeShivs

The HS derringer was not made for gamblers. It was actually designed as a police back up weapon, and for legal carry by civilians.
Old September 18, 2007, 12:42 PM   #33
newerguy

Quote:
The HS derringer was not made for gamblers. It was actually designed as a police back up weapon, and for legal carry by civilians.
I don't know if it was intended to be carried by police in a coat or raincoat pocket, but I've seen a couple (two or three) that were.
Old September 18, 2007, 01:17 PM   #34
281 Quad Cam

The .22 magnum rounds seem to pack alot of energy in a package that wouldn't be much larger (only slightly longer) than the .22lr NAA's.
Old September 18, 2007, 01:54 PM   #35
SpookBoy

what about the new cobra 9mm models/any experience here?

"Once you familiarize yourself with the chains of bondage , You prepare your own limbs to wear them."
- Abraham Lincoln
Old September 19, 2007, 04:02 AM   #36
Hal

Quote:
this is what I use in my 3" air weight K frame
A .44 K?
Old September 19, 2007, 07:22 AM   #37
Magnum Wheel Man

HAL... turns out it's an "L" frame ??? I just assumed it was a K frame since it only hold 5 rounds...
...sorry, I hate trying to keep all the model numbers straight... thought it would be easier just doing the frame size, but turns out that's not working either ... looks like I'll just have to call them all autos or revolvers ???

Old September 19, 2007, 06:50 PM   #38
AmesJainchill

What about the quality of the High Standard derringers?
Do they hold up well?

I like the look of them much better than other derringers, which look crude and antiquated, but the High Standard has this sleekness and complex look to it that are attractive to me.
Old September 19, 2007, 08:18 PM   #39
Old John

Bond Arms, for us.

We have 4 Derringers in the house.
Well, DSW Sharon has 3 & I have One.
I have a Bond Texas Defender in .45Colt/.410ga.
DSW has a Bond Texas Defender in .45 acp.
She doesn't handle the .45Colt well.
I bought her an extra set of brrls. in .38/357magnum.
But she likes the 45acp better.

I like the .45Colt with Silvertips, or 200 gr. Corbons.
I've never really tried the 000 buck in it.
It is a cream-puff, with 250 gr. Cowboy loads at 750/800 fps.
I c'n hit the 8 oval every time at 3 to 7 yrds. with either load,
ST's or Corbons.
Aww, it's a good snake killer with a load of # 6's too.

DSW also has a Davis Derringer in .38special.
And, another in .22 lr. She's had both for many years.
No comparison with the Bond Arms, tho.
Old September 19, 2007, 09:53 PM   #40
Hal

Quote:
HAL... turns out it's an "L" frame
magnum - you had me a bit excited for a bit there.
Years ago there were some custom model 19 (K-frames) that were converted to .44spl.

IIRC the caption went something like:

"Price?"
"If you have to ask you can't afford it!"

"Lead time?"
" Think in terms of years"

I thought for a second you may have stumbled into one of those rare critters...
Old September 19, 2007, 10:44 PM   #41
Bill DeShivs

The HS derringers hold up well. They had some problems with the indexing mechanism. They have steel barrels and an aluminum frame. Guns like the Cobra and Davis are die cast zinc frames, and zinc barrels with steel liners.
Old September 19, 2007, 10:54 PM   #42
Silentarmy

I have a Snake Gun as I call it. Side by side in .45/410 and it is a brute to shoot! usually cuts the knuckle of my second finger when I fire it but it will cut a Rattler to where you can't tell head from tail!
"What we learn from History is that we do not learn from History!"
Old September 20, 2007, 02:20 AM   #43
AmesJainchill

Quote:
The HS derringers hold up well. They had some problems with the indexing mechanism. They have steel barrels and an aluminum frame.
Good to hear they live up to their name.

I've never heard of the indexing mechanism before, what is that?
Old September 20, 2007, 03:41 AM   #44
Bill DeShivs

It switches the firing pin from barrel to barrel.
Old September 20, 2007, 11:20 AM   #45
KevininPa

I have the Bond Arms SnakeSlayer in .45 Colt / .410. I have found that the slight extension of the grip does wonders for control. I tried changing them out to a regular derringer grip but that doesn't work for me too well. Love the versatility of the combo-caliber barrel.

Kevin in Pa
Old September 20, 2007, 02:16 PM   #46
bikerbill

Bond

Recently purchased a Bond Texas Defender in 9mm. I do carry it from time to time, but it weighs more than my regular carry gun, a Kahr PM9, which holds 7 rounds ... Fun to take to the range, tho it's hard to get a grip on and accuracy suffers as a result. it would be a weapon from a few feet in, but I wouldn't want to have to hit something beyond about 10-15 feet.
Old September 22, 2007, 09:35 PM   #47
Scotticus

+1 the .45lc/.410

The onlyone I have had experience with is the American Derringer Model 1. There is also the intimidation factor of that big bore if you are looking at it from the business end.
Old March 22, 2008, 06:05 PM   #48
sesquiculus

Round ball loads for 45 cal derringers

I have an aluminum alloy American Derringer in 45 ACP. Weighs less than 10 oz, loaded. It is essentially unshootable with commercial ammo. The trick is 2.7 gr of unique (alternately, a 22 short cartridge full of Bulls-eye ) under a 140 gr round ball. If you like, you can go up to a barely-tolerable 4.6 gr Unique for carry.

Don't even need reloading dies-- carefully use a dowel to insert the primer throw in the powder with the appropriate Lee dipper and set the ball with a stick. Gives about 38 special energy and comes pre-expanded. Use at your own risk, naturally. and arguably the higher load may cause the gun to shoot a bit loose eventually.
Old March 23, 2008, 01:09 AM   #49
ChewToy

Quote:
I have the Bond Arms SnakeSlayer in .45 Colt / .410. I have found that the slight extension of the grip does wonders for control. I tried changing them out to a regular derringer grip but that doesn't work for me too well. Love the versatility of the combo-caliber barrel.
I have this derringer as well, been looking for the 3" 00 buck for it local and noone carries it. 1 shot five projectiles sounds good to me!
Old March 23, 2008, 05:50 PM   #50
rogertc1

I have been collecting Derringers for years. Have a bunch.
Recently I picked up a Bond Arms Texas Snake Slayer in .45 colt/.410 . Got extra barrels in 45ACP and 22LR too. Have a couple
Closed Thread