The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old December 26, 2002, 12:07 AM   #1
Costas

LTC in Mass. How Long Does It Take?

I applied for an LTC Class A lisence in Massachusetts just over 40 days ago, but I haven't received it yet. I contacted my local issuing authority and they told me that it can be as much as 6 to 8 weeks to receive. Is this normal? Everywhere I have read, it says that the license should be approved or denied within 40 days.

Has anyone had a similar experience in this state? How much longer should I wait, before I decide to take the next step?

Any help is appreciated.
Old December 26, 2002, 12:46 AM   #2
Smiley

I got mine at the four week mark exactly. Officer said that it only took three weeks though. The department I went through told me that three weeks is the norm for him.

This dept was very pro RKBA as long as one behaves them selves and actually doesn't let people apply for FID. He only lets people apply for LTC so they can do what ever they lawfully want.

"Ne Conjuge Nobiscum"

God and soldiers, we adore
In times of danger, not before
With the danger safely righted
God is forgotten, and soldiers slighted
Old December 26, 2002, 09:37 AM   #3
shermacman

My wife got her's after a 60 day waiting period (Hingham, MA). The licensing officer didn't ask her anything...If I remember correctly mine took just under two months several years ago. What town are you in? Have you joined GOAL? They are the biggest help with those towns that have an anti-carry cop.
Old December 26, 2002, 09:52 AM   #4
Costas

Thanks. I haven't joined GOAL yet. I just found out about them recently. That's good to know that it took you and your wife a couple of months. I was starting to think I was denied. I have a perfectly clean record, so I'm not worried about that. The Det. is a nice guy and very helpful, and told me that upon receiving the OK from the state, they sign them and send them out. I guess I will just wait a couple more weeks and see what happens.

Thanks again.
Old December 26, 2002, 05:08 PM   #5
Number 6

Is this a renewal or a new LTC?

If a renewal, you have a problem - your LTC expired on your birthday and you are no longer in lawful possession of your guns.

You have 90 days from the latter of the 41st day of filing/notice of denial to appeal. Don't blow the appeal period!

NOTE: Certain PD's lie about the delay, blaming it on the State Police fingerprint unit (a certain city in central Mass., for example). The AFIS unit is turning prints around in about 28 days or less.

Note also the the PD is required by the licensing statute to submit prints to the SP within 7 days of the date the application was filed. Ask your PD when they sent your prints in.
Old December 26, 2002, 05:20 PM   #6
Costas

This is a new LTC application.