The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights > Legal and Political

Old December 19, 2002, 12:37 PM   #1
Shalako

CA: What happens when your HSC expires?

I asked this question on another thread but didn't get any hits. The more I think about it, the more I wonder how will things be administered when the three years runs out. Since they will have all your pertinent info from your HSC application, will they just come and pick up your guns when this thing expires?

I imagine most folks wouldn't be silly enough not to renew the thing on time, but if I look back on my track record for renewing my vehicle registration on time, Yikes! Good thing Janet Reno didn't work for the DMV at the time cuz I'da been looking down the barrel of an MP5 fer sure.

Thanks for the feedback,

Shalako
Old December 19, 2002, 03:29 PM   #2
Russ

The budget is in such a mess they will have you come in, re-take the tests and charge you triple for another 3 year license. If you don't come in, they will knock down your door at 3am and take you away and make you pay a few thousand dollar fine to support the facists that at LA County and particularly, the Temple City Sherriffs.
Old December 19, 2002, 05:55 PM   #3
Shalako

You know Russ, I'd be inclined to say your depiction is more truth than fiction. It seems most folks are focussed on the hoops you have to jump through now rather than whats down the road with this one. I can easiliy see the powers that be declaring an individual is no longer qualified to posses handguns as soon as the clock runs out. Now, larger fees may be their intended deterence to gun ownwership, we can all see that coming, but I truly believe the real grabbers want total confiscation. I am hoping that by not getting on their illustrious sign-up sheet, the HSC, I will be farther back in line for the big Ream. That may buy me enough time to go seek out my other TFL Alumnus bretheren in, lets say, hey Kentucky sounds good!

Ha ha. Thanks for the reply.

-Shalako
Old December 19, 2002, 08:00 PM   #4
Pendragon

The HSC is only required to transfer handguns. It is not (currently) required to posess handguns that you currently have or will buy in the future if things stay as they are.

ILL-Annoy has the FOID card and over there, if you so much as have a piece of brass on you or in your home or car and do not have a VALID FOID, you are in seriously deep dookie.

That is probably coming to the golden state, but it is not yet here.

Expect long guns to be next to require the "certification" that handguns now require. There are more long guns sold than handguns and that could bring in more money.

Also, expect the bullet tax to pass in record time once they get focused on it.

I would literally get on a plane today if I could...
Old December 19, 2002, 11:44 PM   #5
Mike Irwin
Staff

HSC???

Home Shopping Channel?

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old December 20, 2002, 12:40 AM   #6
4V50 Gary
Staff

handgun safety certificate

At least that what I think it is. I don't have one myself. Guess I'm one of those dangerous peepul with a gun.

BTW, someone correct me if I'm wrong on HSC. Does a NRA firearms instructor card (LE handguns & LE rifles/shotguns) count?

One final note, I was thinking Mauser HSc.
Old December 20, 2002, 01:00 PM   #7
Shalako

Heaven forbid if my Home Shopping Channel expires! Where would I buy all my fine jewelry?!? And all those bee-utiful vozzes, oh, thats 'vases' for those of you in Rio Linda (Just kidding Pendragon).

So, maybe this new certificate (read: License) isn't so cataclysmic, yet. When I heard that you can no longer loan a handgun to someone without one though, it really got me to thinking. If you can't even borrow one, can you even be trusted to posses one? As a side note: Me and my GF are soon to be hitched and are already combining resources. She got her BFSC to buy handguns (the one that will soon expire) and she has now got a better revolver than anything I've got. Damn! I was kinda thinkin that was sorta mine to use on hiking trips and whatnot. Since I've already shot my DROS for the month, I guess this new development rules out her getting the 7.5" Redhawk for yours truly to borrow to hunt pigs. Double dog diggety damn.

Those politicians sure are affective at keeping me safe. Its for my own good, I guess. Them's having my best interests in mind and all.

Thanks,
Shalako

Last edited by Shalako; December 20, 2002 at 05:13 PM.