The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old June 16, 2000, 03:14 AM   #1
Clead

Any Canadians out there who know if a 20" rifle barrel can be threaded for a generic muzzle brake under the current mountain of crappy Canadian laws?
Thanks

[This message has been edited by Clead (edited June 16, 2000).]
Old June 18, 2000, 09:54 PM   #2
Herodotus

No answers, so I take it nobody understands Canadian Law in these matters, which is no big surprise.
Old June 18, 2000, 10:08 PM   #3
Art Eatman
Staff Lead

I think the URL is now http://www.deja.com and there used to be some Canadians who posted to rec.guns or some other of Deja's forums...Dunno fer sure; good luck.

FWIW, Art
Old June 19, 2000, 12:14 AM   #4
Mike Davies

Clead:
I was out fishing all weekend, so didn't get back to TFL until this evening..
I don't see any reason why you can't install a screw on generic muzzle brake on a 20" barrel..the minimum barrel length by law for a rifle is 470mm or 18.5". What you stick on the end of the barrel is your business (except for a 'silencer' of course..<gg> )
I installed a muzzle brake on the end of my SKS...and it was quite legal.
Canadian gun laws are very simple, BTW...Use'em or lose 'em...<g>.
Mike/BC
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Clead:
Any Canadians out there who know if a 20" rifle barrel can be threaded for a generic muzzle brake under the current mountain of crappy Canadian laws?
Thanks

[This message has been edited by Clead (edited June 16, 2000).]
[/quote]

Old June 19, 2000, 12:21 AM   #5
Mike Davies

The law regarding minimum barrel length is quite specific: Rifles must have a minimum barrel length of 470mm or 18.5", and handguns must be 105mm or 4.13". Period.Threading the end of a legal length barrel without shortening its length is quite legal.
Hey..at least WE can still have folding stocks on our SKS's..AND mail-order our guns..&lt;gg&gt;
Mike/BC
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Herodotus:
No answers, so I take it nobody understands Canadian Law in these matters, which is no big surprise.[/quote]

[This message has been edited by Mike Davies (edited June 19, 2000).]
Old June 19, 2000, 09:29 PM   #6
PJR

Mike:

Non-restricted, centrefire semi-auto's are limited to minimum 470mm barrel length but repeaters can be shorter provided they are not cut shorter. The 16" Winchester Trapper is legal in Canada as are 14" pump shotguns providing they do not exceed an overall length of 660mm and came from the factory at that length.

As for the barrel threading, there is no problem providing the length limitations are observed.

[This message has been edited by PJR (edited June 19, 2000).]