The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old December 16, 2002, 06:56 PM   #1
brockgl

Fobus any good??

i was just wondering if Fobus holsters are good quality, i just got one for my ruger P-90, and after reading the little paper that came with it it said it had No warranties, and that i accept all responsibility if something goes wrong with it... this is fine, the holster was only 17 dollars, but i was just curious if this was a representation of the quality of holster it is?? anyone have any ideas for me??

Brock Glaze
Old December 16, 2002, 07:26 PM   #2
TYPE181

Fobus

Have used one for 2+ years in IDPA competition and frequent concealed carry with no problems and it works well for me. IMO it serves my purpose for about half the price and I see no measurable difference in quality that effects performance. The higher priced ones may be prettier but that does not interest me.

Best wishes and Merry Christmas
Old December 16, 2002, 07:44 PM   #3
lonegunman

Fobus holsters are great.

I have a whole box full of custom and semi custom leather holsters that have gone totally unused since I discovered Fobus kydex paddle holsters.
Old December 16, 2002, 07:47 PM   #4
Ninj500

Just got in a fobus paddle and as a holster for my 1911 (which it's designed for) it's terrible. There is no retention at all, the gun bounced around. It does a great job with my Browning HP and CZ-75 though. Go figure.
Old December 16, 2002, 08:01 PM   #5
clown714

i've got one for my kimber ultra,it acts as my CCW

kinda sqeaky when i'm active

retention seems to be by retaining the front trigger guard(marks prove that),but is easy to clear,which is a +

works for me.

clown
Old December 16, 2002, 08:04 PM   #6
Denny Hansen
Staff

The most asked question I have had posed to me about Fobus holsters is in the area of weapon retention. Supposedly they can be ripped off quite easily. I have attempted this using Ring's blue training guns and am satisfied that they are durable enough for general wear, especially in a CCW role. I personally would trust them for uniformed duty.

I've used them for several years now and believe they are quite possibly the best buy around for holsters.

BTW, while they are manufactured from injection molded plastic, they are not Kydex.
Old December 16, 2002, 08:41 PM   #7
Preacherman

Ditto on the recommendations. I've got them for various firearms, and have taken one particular Fobus (with Glock) through Thunder Ranch, Chapman Academy, and LFI-2 and -3. It's going strong after what must be close to 1,000 draw-and-fire routines, rolling around in the dirt (with and without gun inside), and general abuse. I also use them for CCW holsters, and am sufficiently impressed that I keep on adding to my collection of them!
Old December 16, 2002, 08:58 PM   #8
MissileMan

Thumbs up!

I love Fobus for the price; they make excellent training holsters. Plus their customer service is always friendly and helpful.

The only minor beef I have is that after a 4-day handgun class, a lot of the bluing around the muzzle of my Taurus PT-111 had worn down from presenting/reholstering. (Says something about Taurus, too, I know.) The grip tape I used on the slide didn't help, of course.

One benefit to the plastic is that you can sand down any rough edges or cut down the paddle (as I did, because it dug into my leg when I sat down).

On the other hand, for the same price you can get certain models of Uncle Mike's kydex holsters from www.sportsmansguide.com. I like the thickness and feel of the UM holsters, but haven't done any real training with them. Seem to work OK so far...

"Ihr seht bestimmt, dass hier Pistolen im Spiel sind. Also, Leute, verschwindet! Raus!" --Herr Parker, "The Way of the Gun"
Old December 16, 2002, 09:35 PM   #9
Chugach

Guess I'm one that would disagree with the majority. I bought one for a 92FS and the Fobus became the ultimate retention holster: I could not remove the pistol while the holster was on my belt! Off belt, I could always manipulate the holster successfully.

I have a dozen holsters from 4 or 5 manufacturers, and none have performed so poorly. I threw the dang thing in a box after trying to solve the problem for an hour or so.

Maybe I got the one lemon in that production run, but I really don't plan to buy any more of their products to test the theory.

"A society of sheep must in time beget a government of wolves." - Bertrand de Jouvenet
Old December 16, 2002, 09:41 PM   #10
Gino

How about another opinion? I really think holsters are one of those "you get what you pay for" kind of things. A good holster costs money, and is worth every cent.

HOWEVER, I think the Fobus holsters are great "training" holsters for someone new to CCW. Lets you start carrying and getting used to different carry methods without breaking the bank.

I'd still recommend a GOOD holster and belt, but the Fobus is a great way to get started.
Old December 16, 2002, 09:43 PM   #11
Scott Conklin

Hey Ninj, what you want to bet they stuck the wrong holster in the wrong package? Have you checked others to see if it's identical to those marked for the 1911? Wouldn't be the first holster I bought that wasn't for what it claimed to be.

www.libertydwells.com
Old December 16, 2002, 10:02 PM   #12
Oleg Volk
Staff Alumnus

I liked them (cheap, work well) but eventually gave up on them.
Problems:
-flops a lot if I run, not stiff enough
-slides sideways easily if I crawl (which I do when photographing macros)

Retention seemed OK with Glocks, L-frame Smiths and HKs
Old December 16, 2002, 10:35 PM   #13
Ninj500

Quote:
Have you checked others to see if it's identical to those marked for the 1911?
The sticker on the package says the fobus 1911 holster is the C-21, and that's what's stamped on the holster. Could be stamped wrong. When I ordered it through CDNN I was going to get one for my HP (they didn't have any in stock) so it works out for me. Since I have other 1911 holsters but none for the CZ, it works for me that way as well. Fobus made me a satisfied customer by mistake, tough to beat that kind of customer service.
Old December 16, 2002, 10:47 PM   #14
Kaylee

Oddly enough, as far as kydex goes I found I liked the Uncle Mikes better. Screws that can be tightened or loosened, as opposed to rivets that pull over time, and not much you can do about 'em.

That said, if I even carry in a holster anymore (rare) I prefer close in leather pancake style. Comfy is nice.

-K
Old December 16, 2002, 11:14 PM   #15
zanthope

I bought a Fobus for my G30 at a gun show for $15.00. I thought it was a little tight, so I put the gun in a Baggy and put it in the holster for a couple of days....smoothed it right out.

I'm going to use it for three-gun matches.

Has anybody ever used ArmorAll on theirs?
Old December 17, 2002, 12:57 AM   #16
rock_jock

Fobus good; SideArmor/BladeTech better.
Old December 17, 2002, 01:54 PM   #17
Correia

I think Fobus is probably the best $20 holster out there. But I wore mine out in about a year of use. Now it had a ton of draws performed with it (I dryfire a lot). And after that time it had lost almost all of its retention. When I first got it I could stand on my head and it would hold the gun (literally) after a year of use you could give it a little shake and the gun would fall out. But for $20, what can you say?

I much prefer G-Code, they cost about twice as much, but they are a much much nicer holster. Tougher, moduler, better paddle, sweat guard, adjustable tension. I like my G-Code a whole lot more. Plus looking at how it has worn over the last 3 months that I have used it, I don't think that it will ever wear out.
Old December 17, 2002, 03:47 PM   #18
Alerion

brockgl,

Whatever standards you use to judge a holster, Fobus or otherwise, don't use the lack of a warranty as a factor. Even some of the best holsters don't have a warranty. I think it's mainly a CYA thing for the holster makers. Besides, holster fit and function is kind of a tricky thing. It keeps someone who buys an expensive holster and then decides they don't like it from creating a "manufacturing defect." Or if someone shoots themself practicing their draw they can't claim that it was due to a design defect in the holster.

My favorite holster is a Milt Sparks VM-II (which isn't a low-priced holster.) The language on their website kind of threw me at first too. It pretty much said that there is no warranty of any kind on the holster but if you have any problem with it to contact them and they'll make it right.

Fobus makes a decent holster for the money, although I tend to prefer the Uncle Mikes. I do have a couple of Fobus holsters for a couple of my favorite guns. I use them almost daily but I never wear a Fobus. That because Fobus makes a vehicle mount. I have one hidden in each of the two vehicles I usually drive and I can switch to the appropriate holster in a matter of seconds. I've seen the same mount used on ATVs and a couple of motorcycles although that's leaving a gun more available than I care to.

Tom
But empty pop bottles was all we would kill. -John Prine, Paradise
Old December 17, 2002, 04:04 PM   #19
NINEX19

Chugach,

I had the exact same experience.

I also bought one for my 92FS and could not get the thing out especially when on the belt and it took much effort when not on the belt.

Have not used it since. I would never buy another plastic holster. I have leather for everything now.

I read somewhere that the plastic holsters will cause alot of wear on the finish too.
Old December 17, 2002, 04:56 PM   #20
9mmepiphany

gee, maybe there's something wrong with the fobus paddle holster i use for my beretta 92/96.

it slides right out during presentations and retains the pistol when turned upside down and shaken. during the winter months, i'm using it as my daily wear under a coat...under lighter clothing, i usually go with my alessi ACP

i do believe there is a correlation between what you pay and what you receive, but... before i spend much more then $20 for plastic, i usually start looking at leather
Old December 17, 2002, 05:31 PM   #21
Jason Demond

I got one for an HK Compact that is worthless! Brand new and almost zero retention.:barf:
Old December 17, 2002, 06:33 PM   #22
Long Path

The biggest problem with Fobus seems to be quality control on their retention. I've seen some that you couldn't get the gun out, and I've seen some that were a mite too loose.

Overall, though, I'll agree that they're a great holster for the money, and I've used mine a lot. That said, I use my G-Code a LOT more. Better ride, adjustable retention, conceals better, and looks better than the Fobus. Real Kydex, too.
Old December 17, 2002, 07:08 PM   #23
Acujeff

I tried a lot of the kydex/plastic holsters. Being LH my choices are limited. Much to my surprise, I found the Fobus paddles fit my body just right for carry. More comfortable than IWB and I love their mag carriers too.

It held my Glock 30 very tight. Treated it with ArmorAll and now it's a nice smooth draw. I treat all my plastic and kydex holsters and mag carriers with it - it protects the holster and the gun's finish too.

I believe Fobus has a lifetime warranty and will replace any product that breaks or malfunctions.

Good prices at
http://www.deptservices.com