The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old December 13, 2002, 03:58 PM   #1
Skunkabilly

Guitar Gig Bags

The overall length of a Big Baby Taylor is about 40.5".

I don't have this guitar but I threw my M1A into my big dreadnought gig bag and there was too much room inside so I'm looking for a smaller guitar bag to throw a gun in.

Does anyone have a Baby Taylor and do your long guns (specifically, M1A Scout or Benelli) fit well inside?
Old December 13, 2002, 06:32 PM   #2
ronin308

Just get a gig bag that is the right length but for an electric guitar. They're a lot slimmer than the acoustic ones. Oh...wait...no one will ever believe that a bluegrass picker plays an electric!
Old December 13, 2002, 07:07 PM   #3
jthuang

Sorry, no can help. But I do know that a KAces nylon guitar bag ($20 special at Musician's Fiend -- no, not a spelling error) fits my Benelli M1 Tactical perfectly.

Justin
Old December 13, 2002, 07:20 PM   #4
Skunkabilly

Quote:
But I do know that a KAces nylon guitar bag ($20 special at Musician's Fiend -- no, not a spelling error) fits my Benelli M1 Tactical perfectly.
Acoustic or electric, and how much padding does the bag have? I saw Fender had bags for two guns, I can stash both my Benelli and M1A there....?
Old December 13, 2002, 08:06 PM   #5
KSFreeman

Skunk, if you carry two guns in your guitar case, make sure you tape or rubber band them together or they will rattle. Moving into my apartment in Chicago I walked by a CPD car with an 870 and .223 carbine inside a guitar case.

I did not tape them together as I almost dropped the case shifting my hand for my wallet for the pass key! VERY long few seconds.

Of course, if you get the gig in Indy, no one cares, no sneaking required.
Old December 13, 2002, 08:55 PM   #6
ronin308

KSFreeman- ...".223 carbine"...what make and model of carbine was that again?
Old December 13, 2002, 09:15 PM   #7
Skunkabilly

Says you can put TWO in separate compartments in there...gotta check one of these out this weekend. Still not nearly as tactical looking as a drag bag though.
Old December 14, 2002, 06:12 AM   #8
ezo4

I used to move a few firearms to the range in a electric guitar case modified to hold a m4 and two pistols. Had a few Green Peace stickers on it and a Save the Whales sticker. Id allways get a laugh at the range. (back when I lived in the local big liberal city)

Now Im looking into a nice golf bag. Im also liking those soft guitar bag you guys are discussing here.
Old December 14, 2002, 08:32 AM   #9
KPS

You could also get some foam and cut it to the inside dimentions of the electric guitar gig bag.Then put your rifle on top of the foam and trace around it.Cut the foam out that you just traced and when put together in your gig bag, it looks like it has a guitar in it and your rifle won't flop around.Even better are the gig bags that have backpack straps.
Old December 16, 2002, 08:16 PM   #10
jthuang

<quote>
Acoustic or electric, and how much padding does the bag have? I saw Fender had bags for two guns, I can stash both my Benelli and M1A there....?
</quote>

Electric only. Very little padding. Barely fits my M1 but it does the job right, and for $20 was hard to beat.

Sorry, no experience with Fender brand guitar bags.

Justin