The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old December 4, 2002, 06:48 PM   #1
Jorah Lavin

Very Specific: .44spl, 180 gr flat nose lead, Bullseye

What starting charge weight?

I've been loading this bullet on top of W231, but I'm out and have a fresh pound of Bullseye on hand... but no data on hand for starting/max charge weight for bullseye with a 180 gr bullet.

Any suggestions?

-Jorah

PS: Alliant web site lists:

Minimum OAL (inches) 1.600
Bbl Length 5.6
Primer Win WLP
Powder Bullseye
Charge Weight (grains) 6.5
Velocity (fps) 910
Chamber Pressure (psi) c.u.p. 12,000

But for 180 JHC, not lead
Old December 4, 2002, 11:41 PM   #2
C.R.Sam

My later books don't show for 180 cast.

My 41st Lyman shows MAX of 6.8 bullseye for 180 cast.

Sam
Old December 5, 2002, 11:50 AM   #3
Quantrill

180gr Cast

JL,
My 45th Lyman shows the #429348 bullet (180gr. cast) with a starting load of 4.0gr Bullseye for 691fps and a max of 6.8gr Bullseye for 1033fps. An added note says the 4.0gr load is the "accuracy load". Various other Lyman books do not show a load for Bullseye but does for Red Dot and 700X which are in the same burn rate ballpark. Quantrill
Old December 5, 2002, 02:52 PM   #4
Jorah Lavin

Sam, Quantrill; Thanks!

4.0 gr it is. I'm loading for trigger control and other practical practice... I carry my Bulldog on my weak-hand side, so I figure I better learn how to draw and fire it one-handed, too.

-Jorah
Old December 5, 2002, 03:49 PM   #5
Quantrill

180gr cast

JL,
I would be very interested in knowing how you make out. I have a mold made by NEI with the 180gr cast bullet as one of four in a four cavity mold. While I have made a few of them, I never shot any and was thinking of using them as a Cowboy load. Please let me know how you do with them as regards accuracy and recoil. You can contact me off list or here on the reloaders forum. Thanks, Quantrill
Old December 5, 2002, 04:17 PM   #6
Jorah Lavin

I've fired 60 of 'em with W231

Quantrill

I've shot up 60 lead and 80 JHP in 180 gr, bought before I realized that .44spl usually get heavier bullets (it seems that 240 gr is a popular size).

I'm not a great shot, so I don't know how accurate they might be in the hands of a good shooter.

Firing off-hand, with my weak hand, I was keeping all shots on a paper plate at 7 yards.

Firing off-hand, strong hand/two handed, I was able to keep all shots in an area about the size of the palm of my hand at 7 yards; good enough for me, since this is a CCW gun.

In something other than a snubby, and someone other than me shooting, I'll bet they'd be great.

BTW, that is 6.3 gr of W231 under the lead bullet. I like them!

I probably will get a heavier bullet when I restock; I'm just about out of both kinds right now, and I'm really enjoying shooting the Bulldog. (I'm really tired of chasing brass from the Kimber)

-Jorah
Old December 5, 2002, 05:45 PM   #7
Quantrill

Keith Bullets

JL,
If you are looking for a heavier bullet (cast), I would like to suggest a Keith Bullet ( a bullet designed by Elmer Keith) not a brand name. There is an excellent article at the below web page that could be of interest to you. Quantrill

http://www.schuetzen.net/skelton_load.htm
Old December 6, 2002, 09:56 AM   #8
Desert Pete

Loaded Lyman #429348 190gr wadcutter with 4.5gr Bullseye for my S&W M24 to get 1.5" groups at 25yds. That's as good as I got with anything else in this revolver. This is a fairly light target load. Never tried to soup it up.