The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old November 17, 2002, 12:55 AM   #1
poligoon

Can you recomend a gun?

I'm new in to the world of guns and I am making a move this summer into bear country and plan on doing lots of hiking and camping and I would like to purchase a gun. Should I go with a rifle or a shotgun?? Any advice and any gun recomondations would be great. Also what do I need to along the lines of licences and such to aquire guns in Canada? Thanks alot

Last edited by poligoon; November 17, 2002 at 02:24 AM.
Old November 17, 2002, 04:56 AM   #2
Skullboy

To buy firearms in Canada you must possess a Possession and Aquisition license.There are two types: one for regular long arms, and one for restricted firearms (handguns and AR-15 type rifles).To get the license, you must pass a test.There are courses offered for the tests.Again, there is a test for regular arms, and a test for restricted arms.HTH.

Skullboy.

If They Call It Tourist Season, Why Can't We Shoot Them?
Old November 17, 2002, 06:29 AM   #3
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

Poligoon, you've asked a "how high is up" type question.

Lots of folks live long and happy lives in bear country with no guns. Others need them very much.

For stopping a bear at close range, a 12 gauge pump with a short bbl loaded with slugs, buckshot and/or both is one option. Lots of us like the 870 Remington pump.

Many rifles turn up in bear habitat also in calibers from .30 on up. A common bear repellent is one of the Marlin lever actions in 45-70 etc.

All of these have lots of kick. If you're new to guns you may want to get some lessons BEFORE you traumatize yourself shooting these beasts.

HTH....

Last edited by Dave McC; November 17, 2002 at 04:25 PM.
Old November 17, 2002, 07:13 AM   #4
PJR

I've taken a short barreled pump shotgun loaded with slugs into the bush on fishing trips in Ontario. Despite seeing a few bears, I never had reason to shoot and only would in the event the bear was attacking. I've also gone in the bush without a firearm and not felt any less safe. It depends largely on where you are.

For rules and regs on gunownership in Canada go here:

http://www.cfc-ccaf.gc.ca/en/default.asp

If you are in Southern Ontario, for the safety/hunting courses, I know several people who've gone here:

http://www.shooterschoice.com/

In addition to knowing the gun laws, know the hunting regs. In Ontario, there are regulations that apply to the caliber and ammunition you can carry in the bush during certain seasons.

Paul
Old November 18, 2002, 02:56 PM   #5
[email protected]

Relevant article over at CNN

Just saw a relevant bear vs shotgun article over at CNN
Old November 18, 2002, 04:42 PM   #6
poligoon

Thank you all.