The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights > Legal and Political

Old November 8, 2002, 12:54 PM   #1
sully

Folding/Collapsible Rifle Stocks

Got an interesting question here, about the confusing "assault weapon ban" laws, that not even most of our police officers seem to understand.

Folding/collapsible stocks are one of the prohibited items (when in combination with things like a pistol grip, flash suppressor, removable magazine, etc) unless installed on a pre-ban firearm.

How about a folding stock for the Ruger 10-22? I was recently told by a gun shop owner that it can be installed on one of any year, because the assault weapon laws don't apply to a rifle that uses rimfire cartridges.

Seems bizarre to me... but would be no more bizarre than some of the other silliness in those incomprehensible laws. I'm sure someone here has a better understanding of the laws than I do, and could tell me if this is complete and utter BS, or if it is the truth.

Last thing I want to do is find myself in violation of a federal firearm law, in the hands of an overzealous police officer.
Old November 8, 2002, 01:09 PM   #2
buzz_knox

The only exemption made for rimfire weapons was that magazine tubes for such weapons aren't restricted to 10 rounds. Beyond that, all rimfire autoloading weapons with detachable mags are covered by the ban. Putting a folding stock on a new 10/22 is illegal, unless you are LE.
Old November 8, 2002, 02:15 PM   #3
sully

That was pretty much my take on it, but since some of those laws are so absurd, I wanted to see what everyone else knew. Thanks for the clarification.
Old November 8, 2002, 02:59 PM   #4
Hkmp5sd

If I may borrow some information from Gewehr98.....

Newswatch: Gun store admits violating law

(Published Feb. 12, 2000)

Sacramento

An Auburn Boulevard gun store pleaded guilty Friday in Sacramento federal court to possession of illegal semiautomatic assault weapons.

The plea was entered on behalf of Great Guns by one of its attorneys, Richard Pachter. Sentencing was set for April 28.

The company faces a maximum fine of $500,000; the company's federal firearms licence will become invalid 60 days after sentencing.

Charges against the store's owner, Sterling G. Fligge, previously were dismissed.

Pachter admitted that the store displayed two .22-caliber Ruger semiautomatic rifles that had been converted to assault weapons with detachable magazines, pistol grips and folding stocks.

Rifles in that configuration are more easily concealed and fired from the hip.

http://www.thefiringline.com/forums/...ck+and+10%2F22

NRA Life Member
Old November 9, 2002, 07:05 AM   #5
Jato

My observation: Most police (in California at least) don't care about the stupid gun laws that were recently passed.

I'm talking about the cops on the street, not the administrations. The administrations seem to remain anti-freedom.