The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old November 1, 2002, 11:14 AM   #1
dongun

Midway case tumbler

I bought the Midway brand case tumbler (#1242, I think) about 3 years ago. The motor went south on me the other day. I was hoping to replace the motor myself. I thought that Graingers might carry one. Anyone ever replace the motor on one of these?
Old November 1, 2002, 03:09 PM   #2
ZeusOne

FYI. Midway has had a recall going on the older model tumblers, possible fire hazard or something. Check their website for details. Although busted, see if yours is eligible.
Old November 1, 2002, 07:27 PM   #3
rocko

I'm almost certain Midway has a lifetime guarantee on these. Even if yours was not a part of the recall, they should fix/replace it at no charge.

Rocko
Old November 1, 2002, 07:44 PM   #4
Clint Tickler

I think the recall was for the units that didn't have the fan. I bought mine about 5 years ago and it does have the fan. Like the other guy said though you may be able to get irt replaced anyway under warranty.
Old November 1, 2002, 09:19 PM   #5
dongun

Thanks. Mine was not part of the recall. It does have the fan. I'll call Midway and check on the warranty.
Old November 1, 2002, 09:36 PM   #6
Catbird

I have one of those Midway tumblers.

Fan?...what fan?

Edited to add the following:

Mine is a Midway 1292 tumbler; I removed the base and it DOES have a small fan attached to the motor.
Old November 3, 2002, 10:15 AM   #7
Katsumi Liquer

I bought the Midway Model 1292 Tumbler earlier this year. I shoot and reload a lot, so the tumbler sees frequest use. About a month ago, the motor started slowing down and finally quit completely--even with the fan, it had overheated and seized. I sent it back to Midway and they replaced just the motor. I now run the tumbler without the base plate and the motor seems to run a lot cooler.

KL

Edit: What the hell is a "tumber"????

Last edited by Katsumi Liquer; November 5, 2002 at 05:16 PM.
Old November 3, 2002, 10:43 AM   #8
Catbird

I'm usually a very strong supporter of the "If it ain't broke, don't fix it." philosophy, but after reading these posts, I'm wondering if it might buy me a few more years of troublefree service if I drill a dozen or so ventillation holes in the metal base plate. My unit has the fan, but I may also put a drop of light (sewing machine) oil on the fan shaft.
Old November 3, 2002, 05:32 PM   #9
Mule

I glued some rubber vibration isolators on the bottom of mine to allow better air flow. No problems yet.
Mule
Old November 4, 2002, 10:08 AM   #10
Clint Tickler

A few of you mention base plates? My Midway tumbler doesn't have a base plate. It does have the fan though. No problems in abought five years of use.
Old November 5, 2002, 03:37 PM   #11
dongun

Mine is the #1292 (not 1242 as originally posted). It does not have the base plate. Midway said to send it in and they would fix it. It will have to wait though - whitetail season opens Saturday. I don't suppose they'll care if I shoot them with dirty brass.
Old November 6, 2002, 12:30 PM   #12
Handloader

I have used Midway Tumblers for some time now. I have one of the large ones and several of the small tumblers. I couple of years ago the motor on my large tumbler broke and I sent it back to Midway for repair. they not only fixed it at no charge but they improved it by adding additional braces to the motor. Great People to deal with.
Old November 10, 2002, 08:19 AM   #13
LAH

Send it in. They'll fix it. I've used mine for 3 years now with no problems. I bought it for hobby use and shortly there after started a fired brass business as a side line. Figured I run the thing till it quit and right at a ton of brass later the 1292 is still going. In fact it run 24 hours a day for the last 3 days, stopping only to refill. Not sure about the rest but this one is great.
Old November 10, 2002, 11:57 AM   #14
Greg Mueller

Where's a good place to buy one? Do they sell direct, or is it cheaper to get it from a dealer?
Old November 10, 2002, 01:32 PM   #15
LAH

www.midwayusa.com
1-800-243-3220
If you go this route get the Case Tumbler/Rotary Sifter Ultimate Pack. The Rotarty Sifter makes removing the media fast and easy. Use rice to clean as it's cheap and corn cob to polish.
Old November 11, 2002, 12:12 AM   #16
Target Shooter

I have one of the old Midway tumblers that has the orange bowl. It's a Model 1288 that I purchased new in 1988. I've tumbled brass in this thing for the past 14 years. It started making more noise about 7 or 8 years ago and I put some silicone around the corrugated metal sleeve that surrounds the bearing. Quite ever since.
I couldn't tell you how many hours this motor has on it but it's got to be thousands. It's tumbled lots of brass and will continue to.

TS