The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old October 28, 2002, 04:08 PM   #1
Ed Dixon

Silverado coach gun comes home.

Just picked up my matte nickel coach gun after waiting 10 weeks for it to come in. It is a beautiful looking little gun and the gun shop guy commented on what a nice piece of wood was used for the stock. I joked that for about $300 someone else must've got the knothole. Had only seen the black and stainless model up close and am very glad I went with the Silverado. Haven't shot it yet, but enjoying just looking at it for now. A small bit of the "preservative" (green gunk) it's shipped with is dried on the barrel and Hoppes #9 and oil didn't budge it. Any suggestions?
Old October 30, 2002, 06:10 AM   #2
Hal

Ed,
Sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet!!!! I just checked out the Stoeger website for the Silverado coach gun. That's one fine looking piece of equipment with the wood/Nickel combo. Congrats on a good snag.

The green gunk. Try a mild solvent like Lighter Fluid (Naptha) or charcoal lighter or paiint thinner or Keroscene. None of them will bother the Nickel finish.
Old October 31, 2002, 11:50 PM   #3
Ed Dixon

Thanks, RAE. The lighter fluid and a brass brush did the trick.