The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old October 20, 2002, 06:10 PM   #1
Greywolf

Reloading questions

I have an old single stage Lyman press. I am starting to get into reloading for very accurate rifle shooting.

Should I change my setup? I was looking into some of the Turret style presses (like the Lee 4 position) - I would assume the benes there would be having all the dies set up just right all the time, and simply changing out the turret for other calibers.

It has what is called auto-indexing, but I don't know what that is - is this where the turret turns everytime you pull the lever, so that the next die swtiches? Sort of like a semi-progressive? It also has an auto-powder thrower, but I wonder if that is accurate for when I'm trying to get consistent powder loads.

Basically, I'm simply wondering if going with a new turret press would be better and allow me to do more accurate loads quicker than the old single stager.

Thanks for any help or advice.
Old October 20, 2002, 06:53 PM   #2
kurt IA.

The guys I know that load for "very accurate rifle shooting" don't use a press like those, an arbor press yes.
Old October 20, 2002, 07:18 PM   #3
Steve Smith

I could be wrong, but I think the only turret out there with auto indexing is the Lee. In that case, it may not fit larger rifle cartridges...no personal experience with that. A turret will speed up your reloading of rounds. The auto-index moves the shellplate, not the turret, but it advances your cartridge to the next station on every pull. I can take that or leave it. Personally, I prefer to leave it, but that's me. The auto powder thrower ought to be fine accuracy-wise, but be sure to get the micr-adjustable addition to it...the "auto-disk" sucks for playing with loads.

Personally, I thing there are a lot better turret setups out there. The new Redding T7 is probably the best, with the Lyman T-Mag II right behind it. You could mount a good powder measure to either and you'd be set...of course, either of those will triple the cost of a Lee Turret. If you REALLY want to have a "future-proof" setup, get the Dillon AT500 and then you can upgrade it to a full-progressive when you save up some more cash.

Ultimately, there should be nothing wrong with your current press, except for the speed.

BTW, I do a little "very accurate rifle shooting" and I use a Dillon 550b.

Steve Smith
NRA Life Member
Old October 21, 2002, 01:32 AM   #4
capbuster

You might give that old lyman press a go and see if your reloads are suitable for your needs. You will be generally using two dies to complete your reloads and that is no big deal to change out. I started reloading with a used spartan press back in the 70s and it , my reloads,and my .22/250 caliber Remington model 788 rifle got along just fine.
Old October 22, 2002, 12:55 AM   #5
Paul Fitz Jones

C-H H press

Check out CH4d on the net for the best rifle loader for the price where nothing moves and wears out but you move the the case in your hand and you can turn out 250+ rounds per hour of the best ammo. as a retired C-H rep I had a hand in its design and sold hundreds of them in the 70's. It will never wear out has a primer feed and will hold a powder measure. Will work for any rifle or pistol caliber but not 50 BMG which is another one they make. Say Paul Jones Sent you.
Police Firearms Instructor