The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old October 19, 2002, 11:09 PM   #1
plnkr1234

M1A or M14 Sight In

Hi Guys,

I'm trying to sight in my M1A. I only have access to a 100 yd range. Should I sight in at this distance for point of impact and then loosen the elevation dial and set it a 100 without moving the rear sight?

Thanks.
Old October 20, 2002, 12:26 AM   #2
Archie

That will work....

but I was never taught (Marine Corps) to do it that way.

Typical elevation for 7.62 ball ammo at 200 yards is 6 - 8 clicks of elevation. Normally another 3 up for 300 yards and then 5 - 6 up from that for 600 yards.

All that having been said, the "battle sight zero" for an M14 (or M1A in your case) with 7.62 ball ammo (147-150 grain bullet at 2800 f/s) is the sight setting for 300 yard rapid fire MINUS two clicks of elevation.

Having only a 100 yard range you might try this:
Look up on ballistic charts what the 100 yard impact is for a 300 yard zero.
Adjust your sights to hit that point at 100 yards from a slinged, prone position.
Drop two clicks and write that down.

That setting should enable you to hit a rectangle roughly the size of a human torso out to nearly 400 yards without changing sight settings; you aim at the bottom of the rectangle out to 250 yards and the top of the rectangle from 250 to 400.

A military shooter's manual for the M14 will give you good information on this proceedure also. But it will presume you have a 500 yard range.

Check out updated journal at http://oldmanmontgomery.wordpress.com/
Old October 20, 2002, 03:09 PM   #3
Mannlicher

Best simple advise I have seen for sighting in the M1A is to bottom out the aperture, then raise the aperture up by turning the elevation knob 8 to 12 clicks. This should place the first rounds close to aim point at 100 yards.

It gets a lot more complicated, when setting 200 yard zero, in that you have to mess with the screw in the middle of the elevation knob, loosening it, turning the knob back, etc. Best way to understand this is to buy the Scott Duff book, or get a copy of the military manual.

Once set, the rifle is capable of very good accuracy. My Springfield will bust beer cans all day long at 10o yards, and paint cans out to 300 yards. Personally, that is about as far as I can see with these old eyes.

"The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.".........Ronald Reagan
Old October 20, 2002, 03:59 PM   #4
DMK

You can get the M-14 manual on this page:

http://www.biggerhammer.net/manuals/
Old October 20, 2002, 07:54 PM   #5
HankL

Draw up a target like this and make yourself some copies. You only need a 25 meter range and you can get a battle sight zero on the rifle.

Aim for the "door" in the black box and hit the x. Once you are hitting 4.6 cm above your point of aim at 25 meters you can set your rear sight to the 250 meter point and things should be good to go until you have a chance to check them at the real distances.
I cut off too much of the bottom of the target. I reads 2 clicks of elevation or windage will move the strike of the bullet one square on this target.
HTH