The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Competition Shooting

Old October 24, 2002, 07:25 PM   #1
bu-bye

Trigger on S&W competition gun

I shot a Plate Match on Wed. Had a lot of fun BS-ing and shooting. Could not find my normal brand of ammo and had to use some high priced Remington crap that shot 10 inch groups at 25yards. Yeah I lost bad. Live and learn i guess.

Anyway I got a chance to do some dry fires on a highly modded S&W revolver. The trigger was just as smooth as the trigger job I did to mine but his had a pause just before the hammer dropped. OH boy did that feel nice. I asked him how it was done but he said he bought the gun as is and had no idea. I would really like to know. Anyone out there have pics of the guts to a gun with a trigger job like this? What is this setup even called? I would love to give it a shot (pun intended )
Old October 24, 2002, 07:32 PM   #2
Jim Watson

I don't know how to get this pause with internal work, but I have seen many PPC revolvers with rubber tipped trigger stop screws or just a plug of rubber glued behind the trigger. Sweep the trigger back until it stops against the rubber and then refine the sight picture and squeeze. Almost like single action.
Old October 24, 2002, 11:13 PM   #3
bu-bye

hey thanks, thats a great idea! I just put a big bead of Silicon behind the trigger. When it dries I can trim it down little by little until I hit the sweet spot. Don't know how long that will last but we will see.
Old October 24, 2002, 11:47 PM   #4
bu-bye

found a few small rubber stops that came extra with a guitar stomp box. Took off the silicon and glued the stops on the trigger. I love trying new things
Old October 25, 2002, 12:30 AM   #5
bu-bye

WOW thats just the feel I was looking for. On the down side I can no longer use it SA. Oh well It feels to cool to regret.
Old October 25, 2002, 09:32 AM   #6
Jim Watson

Yup.
I have seen both approaches, gobs of silicone and pencil erasers glued in and trimmed. And the rubber-tipped trigger stop screws as a deluxe approach.
Most PPC shooters do **everything** DA and do not consider losing the SA engagement a problem. I was not a top PPC shooter, but I only shot SA to test ammo. All match shooting, right out to 50 yards, was DA.
Old October 30, 2002, 03:51 PM   #7
bu-bye

Is there a name for this type of trigger? I would like to do a search on the net but I don't even know what to search for. thanks