The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old October 19, 2002, 04:00 PM   #1
Cody

KDF Muzzle Brake

I just purchased a Rem 700 BDL SS in the new .338 RUM Caliber. I also paid to have a KDF Muzzle Brake installed so the Gun Shop will Ship the rifle to KDF to have the Brake installed. Was told that it will take 6 weeks before the rifle is returned to me.

My question is this. The fellow behind the counter asked me what length I want the barrel after the Brake is installed and I told him 26". The fellow behind the counter writes on the sales ticket 26" OAL. I am wondering how much will the ballistics will degrade with the Brake on, an on top of that the specified 26" OAL Barrel?

Thanks in advance...

Cody

Last edited by Art Eatman; October 19, 2002 at 09:32 PM.
Old October 19, 2002, 09:38 PM   #2
Art Eatman
Staff Lead

Don't break the brake!

So: 26" OAL, including brake. You don't get a total loss of gas pressure as the bullet goes through the brake, but certainly a good bit. Just guessing, you'd have the same muzzle velocity as with at least a 24" barrel, if not a 25".

Guessing, you'd lose 75 to at most 150 ft/sec from an original 26" length...Might not be that bad, but it's one of those "hard to tell" deals.

Art
Old October 19, 2002, 11:29 PM   #3
Cody

Art, thanks for the feedback. I was so concerned about this that after I got home from the Gun Shop I quickly went through my most recent loading manuals, my Barnes and Nosler Manuals. They both stated that the Barrel Length was 26". I was able to reach the Gun Shop before they closed this evening and talk to the fellow that actually helped me. I told the guy instead of having an OAL of 26" (Brake included) I wanted the barrel kept at 26" w/o the Brake. So after installing the Brake it will add to the OAL of 26". So after this change I shouldn't lose much of anything in terms of velocity.
Old October 19, 2002, 11:46 PM   #4
uglygun

It probably won't be much, but another way to look at it is that a muzzle brake installed at the end of 24 inches of barrel will be more effective than if the same muzzle brake was installed on a barrel of 26 inches in the same chambering.

Not by much but by a bit I'm betting, higher pressures while going back towards the chamber should help to make the muzzle brake be more effective.
Old October 20, 2002, 09:35 AM   #5
Art Eatman
Staff Lead

uglygun, I follow your point, but the only number I've ever heard for gas pressure near the muzzle is for the Garand: The rifle was designed for a pressure at the gas port of 2,000 psi.

Now, that's at about 24", or just under. Again, just guessing, I don't imagine the gas pressure at 22" or 27" is gonna be a whole bunch different than 2,000 psi. Some, sure, but I'm dubious that the longer length would have a lower-enough pressure to lessen the effectiveness of a brake.

We pretty much know that the effectiveness of muzzle brakes depends more on the design than on the absolute pressure...

$0.02, Art
Old October 20, 2002, 02:59 PM   #6
uglygun

When it's only a small drop between 26 and 24 inches, the difference would likely be pretty darned insignificant. But on more dramatic changes in barrel length, like from 26 inches to 20 inches, I bet there would be a difference.

Certain chamberings are likely more responsive to such changes in barrel length while using a muzzle brake, large bore diameter might cause the pressure to drop at a very large rate as the bullet travels down the bore while in small bores pressure might remain fairly high throughout the length of the barrel.

Muzzle brake design certainly is a factor, I'm sure. Heck, I'm a big believer in them after seeing how effective they can be on a 50BMG or how similar designs like the JP Enterprises brake can help reduce recoil. But to me, it seems pretty reasonable that if more gas or higher pressure gas is being routed through the brake than it's going to be doing more work and possibly be considered more effective.

In a 338RUM though, aside from the reduction in recoil most muzzle brakes are just going to be noise amplifiers no matter what length barrel they are on.
Old October 20, 2002, 06:54 PM   #7
Cody

That is one obvious drawback of the Brake is how the muzzle blast can be obnoxiously loud. When I am at the range I will be concerned about shooters near me and let them know that I am shooting a big bore with Brake on and keep the shots down to 10 and that would be it to test hunting loads. Now if nobody is at the Range I will have no limits but... I now have the painstaking task of ordering dies and reloading components. I will probably get RCBS Dies.

Thanks all for your tips and advice...

Cody
Old October 20, 2002, 10:38 PM   #8
Art Eatman
Staff Lead

At the range, for the benefit of your neighbors, just wrap it in duct tape.

Art
Old October 20, 2002, 11:15 PM   #9
Kernel

Location: Madison, WI.... "78 Square Miles Surrounded by Reality"
Art,

How much tape? I tried it once with a 14" .223 Rem Contender with a T/C "Muzzle Tamer" (it's unbelievably loud). With duct tape wrapped three times around it just blew off like tissue paper. -- Kernel

— Anonymous A-10 Pilot, USAF