The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Competition Shooting

Old November 8, 2014, 07:28 PM   #1
steambucket

Tucked shirt in IDPA

Hello everybody. This is my first post on the forum (edit... I guess second... I forgot about one)
My question is with an OWB leather holster, I was told at my last match I should tuck my shirt in because some (idiot) body had a ND because their shirt was in the way when drawing.

This sounds kinda stupid to me.

I didn't argue, but isn't it against the whole point of I(defensive)PA matches?

The main reason I ask is because I just got a glock 23 for carry, and would like to use a leather iwb that will not be very practical with a tucked in shirt.

Thanks in advance. I didn't want to argue with the RSO in the middle of a match.

It was also not a REAL IDPA, it was a basic IDPA that a gun club near me does... similar but not "official" and (possibly) geared towards revolver shooters and possibly a bit watered down.
Old November 8, 2014, 08:17 PM   #2
Jim Watson

I see a lot of what I call "relentlessly tactical" shooters working out from under shirttails. You have to be careful, but what is new about that?
Old November 8, 2014, 09:01 PM   #3
steambucket

I usually carry with my shirt untucked, so it seems like how I should shoot matches. I think part of my problem is shooting at the "basic" matches. I am definitely not a newbie. I see those guys at my shooting range all the time... usually they rapid fire (against the rules) into a target 5 yards away into a 12 inch group. I also don't put my finger on the trigger in the draw sequence... more like when I am about 90-95% to being on target... i.e. pointed at but not pinpoint aimed...
Old November 9, 2014, 03:43 AM   #4
GJSchulze

With a t-shirt or sport shirt with tails you need to clear the shirt (by lifting it) passed the gun with your weak hand while drawing with your strong hand. No one should have their finger on the trigger until they are presenting the gun toward the target. You also need to be careful when reholstering by holding the shirt.

But you are right that you have to be an idiot to have your shirt cause an ND.

Any good defensive pistol class will teach you how to do this.

For an actual IDPA competition stick to a vest or jacket.

Now, why is rapid firing against the rules? I've heard that before and never understood. If someone can't be trusted to stay on target shooting fast, how can he be trusted doing it slowly? And how fast is fast?
Old November 9, 2014, 03:28 PM   #5
steambucket

The rapid fire thing is a different range.... 1 second per shot is allowed there
Old November 9, 2014, 03:58 PM   #6
GJSchulze

Quote:
The rapid fire thing is a different range.... 1 second per shot is allowed there
Wow! one shot per second! Be still my heart. That's too slow to practice for any competition. What are they afraid of??

If you fire in self defense, you might want to be capable of firing a controlled pair faster than that.
Old November 9, 2014, 07:17 PM   #7
Jim Watson

Very common at commercial ranges, especially indoor. Look at the holes in the ceiling baffles and sidewalls and you will understand why they do not trust your ability.

There are things you can practice that take longer than one second per round.
Shoot one, reload, shoot another.
Shoot one, tac load, shoot another.
Shoot one, change hands, shoot another
Old November 9, 2014, 10:01 PM   #8
GJSchulze

Quote:
Look at the holes in the ceiling baffles and sidewalls
Our club has had holes in the baffles and ceiling. It never occurred to me that it was because of firing too fast. I would think that it's more likely NDs of people that have never learned proper gun handling. My club installed cameras on the indoor range, but I have no idea if they've ever caught anyone.
I did realize last week that I have seen such holes or heard complaints of holes, so maybe the cameras are working.
Old November 10, 2014, 10:05 AM   #9
RickB

So, this almost-IDPA doesn't require a concealment garment? If they do, and you don't have a jacket or other outer wear, you must leave your shirt untucked so the holstered gun is not exposed.
Old November 12, 2014, 02:11 PM   #10
Captains1911

When you say you were told "you should tuck your shirt in" was it a suggestion or was the RSO implying it was against the rules? If you are competing with an outer shooting vest that is open in front, I agree that you should tuck your shirt in for safety and quickness. If you are competing with just an untucked shirt and no other concealment garment similar to how you would carry day to day, then you should not tuck in your shirt unless you are not playing by IDPA rules.