The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Closed Thread

Old October 11, 2002, 12:23 PM   #1
beetlefang

Beretta Model 84 f .380 acp Review

Hi,

I have recently purchased a new Beretta Model 84f .380acp. I haven't seen many internet reviews concerning this pistol - maybe it's all common knowledge, nevertheless, here's my short experince with it so far....

Let me preface this info with - I'm not an armorer, just an enthusiast so my terminology may be off.

Beretta Model 84 f .380 acp comes with 2 magazines (10 shots each), gun lock that fits through the slide, two bore brushes one soft one copper, plastic foam lined case, manual.

Price - $500 US

Out of the box the pistol looks nice. The slide is difficult to pull back and the magazines are EXTREMELY difficult to load to full capacity. So difficult in fact, that after four bruised thumbs (mine and my father in laws) I made an oak tool to assist in loading. I've recently posted concerning the stiff magazine springs, and received advice to load the magazines to limber the springs. After about a week of loading and the following shooting, the magazines can now be easily loaded to full capacity without tools, curse words etc...

So far the pistol has fired a little over two hundred rounds - 150 "winchester 380 auto winclean" and 60 "gold dot jacketed hollowpoints". All bullets were fired after filling the magazines to full capacity.

The pistol has shot all the of the rounds without any type of problem - no jamming, no failure to feed, no stove piping (although that this woud probably be hard to do with the open slide). The gold dot seemed to be the 'dirtier' of the two cartridges - leaving a coating of blackened soot on the feeding ramp, while the winchester seemed to leave a silver clean feeding ramp after shooting.

The pistol was fired from standing and kneeling without the use of a rest and with double action first shot and single action follow-up shots. The ranges were 7 and 15 yards and the targets were 5 1/2 inch Shoot n C black stick on targets. Although I'm not a good shot - I can easily hit the target at both ranges. My groups seem to fill approximately 1/4 of the target and improve with every magazine. A real pistoleer could shoot this weapon much more accurately I'm sure.

After shooting and cleaning the pistol the slide is much easier to pull, and the magazines can now be loaded without a thumb bruise or finger strain. Maybe the pistol just needed some break in tlc to limber it up.

I'm satisfied with the pistol and look forward to shooting it a lot more.

-Beetle
Old October 11, 2002, 03:45 PM   #2
Omaha-BeenGlockin

I bought one about six-months ago NIB---but mine was only $319---kept it for about 2-weeks till I figured out I REALLY don't like blow back pistols---well, other than .22's. Sold off a Sig P230 to my buddy for the same reason---he loves it---I hated it.

Nothing really wrong with it---just too snappy recoil for what it was and for my tastes----I've got mini 9mm's that kick less---where's the .380 Colt Gov't when you need it??
-------Metallica
Old October 11, 2002, 04:13 PM   #3
Stephen A. Camp
Staff In Memoriam

Hello and thanks for the report. I don't recall ever seeing one of these malfunction with even close-to-decent and better ammo.

Best.
Old October 11, 2002, 04:28 PM   #4
VVG

I had an 84BB for years - 13 round mags. Never hiccuped once. Paid $190, sold it last yearfor $340, so it was good to me. Lots of nice features - safety goes on whether cocked or not, ambidextrous safety and reversible mag release, chamber loaded indicator you could feel in the dark, decent sights, good trigger, almost no recoil.
Old October 14, 2002, 06:27 AM   #5
Baron Holbach

Magloader for your 84F

Beetlefang, here is the solution to your sore fingers:

http://www.magloader.com/

I ordered the small size Magloader but the company shipped me all three sizes -- small, medium, and large. Ever since I began using the small Magloader for loading my semiautomatic clips, shooting autopistols has been a joy -- and no more sore fingers.
Old October 14, 2002, 07:21 AM   #6
Peter M. Eick

The only thing to watch for on your 84 is when you replace your recoil spring. The default one from wolff is the wrong size. He says so in his catalog (it is for the older models) but I had to prove to myself he is right. Order your springs from beretta.

By the way, I cannot remember the last failure to fire in mine.....
Old October 14, 2002, 08:31 AM   #7
Sierra

That whole family of Beretta 380's (84, 85, 86) and the very similar Brownings are all outstanding and are considered by many to be the best of the breed. While I own the Model 87, which has the appearance of the 85 but is chambered in .22, I have experienced very few malfunctions and a friend of mine who owns a 85 has never had a malfunction. Good choice.
Old June 15, 2011, 08:24 PM   #8
Tommy Vercetti

I have a very pretty polished blue Beretta 84BB in the safe somewhere
Old June 16, 2011, 08:21 AM   #9
aarondhgraham

Sweet pistols, aren't they,,,

Congratulations on your new handgun.

There's just something about the Cheetah models that attracts the eye,,,
They are kind of like a K-frame in that they just snuggle right into your grip.

Now all you need is a Model 87 (.22 LR) to compliment your Model 84.
http://aarondgraham.com/pics/allegra.jpg

Does your Model 84 have the round trigger guard like my Model 87?,,,
Or is it the squared off "combat" style version?

Aarond
Aarond is good,,, Aarond is wise,,, Always trust Aarond! (most of the time)
Old June 16, 2011, 10:24 AM   #10
Mike Irwin
Staff

Nearly NINE years old, guys.

Count it, nine.

And the OP hasn't been here in going on a year.

I can't even begin to fathom why a 9 year old thread would be restarted with such an innocuous comment.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Closed Thread