The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old October 5, 2002, 01:55 PM   #1
tbeb

Self defense ammo for .32 Walther PP..

I have a stock .32 ACP Walther-Manurhin PP. So far it's only 100% reliable with 71 gr. FMJ ammunition. This is good since hardball might be as good as anything, for self defense, in this caliber. I've tried Corbon's and Silvertips. The Corbon's sometimes fail to feed and the Silvertips sometimes fail to eject. Any suggestions as to ammo? What is 100% reliable in your PP?
Old October 5, 2002, 07:37 PM   #2
wolfzAz

I use Fiocci 71gr ball. It chronographed the hottest I found and the ball makes me feel better about putting "holes" in things. S&B comes on second and is easier to find (and cheaper).wolfz
Old October 5, 2002, 08:44 PM   #3
denfoote

The PPK was designed to fire FMJ ammo. HP's may or may not work reliably. It depends on how radically the bullet differs from hard ball!!
Arizona: Flush the Johns!!!
Old October 6, 2002, 07:32 AM   #4
theberettaman

My German PPK shoots the Spear Gold Dot very relaiable.Something about the shape of the slug that it seems to like.Corbon,Federal and Winchester's JHP seem to have the same problems you mentioned in mine too.
Old October 6, 2002, 09:40 AM   #5
CastleBravo

.32 penetrates too little as it is, in that caliber go with FMJ.
Old October 8, 2002, 09:35 PM   #6
Nick96

I think I responded to another post you had about ejection problems with Silvertips.

I also had a .32 Manurhin PP of early 1950's vintage. Silky smooth DA & SA trigger, tack driving accuracy, 100% reliable with FMJ's and a beautiful deep blue finish. After some 40 years of West German Police and private service - and visable internal wear, I got rid of it (I needed an everyday "work" pistol at the time). In retrospect I wish I hadn't. You can't find that kind of quality these days for much under a grand.

The PP is a 1920's design. Even in the 1950's JHP's were unheard of. The new Walther PP's and PPK's are crap compared to these older runs. You could probably make some modifications that would accept JHP's - but why bother? In a .32 the FMJ is as good as any round. In this caliber, reliability and accuracy is paramont. If you are getting it with FMJ's, be happy. You're already ahead of the crowd with an auto pistol that's reliable and that you can hit what you're pointing at with. To boot, it's actually small and light enough to carry around most of the time.