The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old October 2, 2002, 08:04 AM   #1
AV1611

Want a semi-auto .308... VEPR II vs. M1A

All:

I'm on the cusp of getting a new job that pays mucho dinero. So, some new guns are in my near future. I already have an AK (VEPR K 7.62x39) and am looking for a really nice semi auto rifle in .308. After checking the prices on M1A's I almost choked. I realize that they're very high quality rifles, and are American made, but are they really worth $1400? I could buy TWO VEPR II's in .308 for that price. I guess what I need to know is is the VEPR II in .308 anywhere near as accurate as an M1A? I'm not interested in a rifle that's only capable of 4" groups at 100 yards with quality ammo, scope, and bench rest. If that's all the VEPR II in .308 is capable of I'm not interested. Please help me spend some $$$ on a gun.

AV1611 out...
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life. For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved." John 3:16-17
Old October 2, 2002, 10:05 AM   #2
dZ

thats about what a vepr will do
minute of softball

its not a match shooting rifle

if you want a .308 semi auto that will match shoot
you prolly should look at an AR10

for bigger bucks look for an SR25
Old October 2, 2002, 10:31 AM   #3
raz-0

I recently aquired a used AR-10A4. I'm very happy with it. The used prices aren't bad. Heck, some of the new prices for them aren't too bad if you hang around gunbroker. There are also the eagle arms ar-10s that are in the sub $1000 range as well.

It's definitely a fun gun that shoots nicely.
Old October 2, 2002, 02:43 PM   #4
AV1611

I just visited an area gunshop for the first time this morning. The owner had four different M1A variants. I was pleasantly surprised because before this morning I'd never handled one before. He had an M1A Standard, M1A Loaded, M1A Scout, and M1A Bush. I was most impressed with the Scout and the Loaded. The wood on the Loaded was beautiful. The synthetic stock on the Scout is also very high quality. I really liked the pebbled or whatever texture. Easy to get a good grip on it. I was surprised at how nicely they shoulder. Very quick and natural feeling. The guns look and feel extremely well made. They just scream "quality". I gotta say that I'm leaning heavily toward the M1A despite the fact that it's twice as expensive as the VEPR II in .308.

How much are velocity and accuracy affected by the Scout's shorter barrel?

AV1611 out...
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life. For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved." John 3:16-17
Old October 2, 2002, 02:51 PM   #5
Nightcrawler

Velocity shouldn't be dropped too much from the 18" barrel. Accuracy, according to reviews I've read, shouldn't be affected at all.

You're right, if you want accuracy, the M1A is the way to go. If you just want a fun, reliable .308 Shooter, then the VEPR II is the better choice, economically.