The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old September 17, 2002, 06:12 PM   #1
Skunkabilly

Inducing a Benelli to Malfunction?

How do I induce a Benelli malfunction? I am using loads that work, but want to know how close I am to the point where it's going to malfuction. As of now, I have no idea if my shotgun is reliable no matter what, or am I just teetering on the edge of nominal reliability. I have an M1 Super 90, with a sidesaddle attached.

The idea is that if I try to induce a malfunction and it still works no matter what, I can feel better about it.
Old September 17, 2002, 07:27 PM   #2
hitnthexring

I also have the M1 Tactical. I wanted a side saddle, but I was told (& have read) that the extra weight causes malfunctions by reducing the recoil. The only time mine has malfunctioned is when I've shot #7 or #8 loads. Also, the Federal "Tactical" reduced recoil loads have occasionally malfunctioned.
Old September 17, 2002, 10:00 PM   #3
HSMITH

Shoot it from the hip or with it just slightly off your shoulder. I know if it is just off your shoulder it is going to hurt, but the Benelli NEEDS a good solid shoulder to shoot light loads. If you are close to not cycling soft hands and a soft shoulder should induce a failure.

Weight as mentioned above will do it too, tape a couple ounces to it, and add until it stops feeding.
Old September 18, 2002, 09:15 AM   #4
ronin308

TacSkunk- Try shooting it in rollover prone. Sometimes that can cause shotguns to malf.
Old September 18, 2002, 11:56 AM   #5
hksigwalther

At the last plate shoot I went to I was have FTEject malfs through my M3 and had to switch over to pump. The loads I was using were Winchester light target loads. I have found that 3¼ dram and lower sometimes would get my M3 to fail in semi.
Old September 18, 2002, 07:25 PM   #6
KSFreeman

Don't clean it or use light loads. Rollover prone works sometimes.