The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old September 10, 2002, 07:47 PM   #1
ThePatriot29

Which Asp length?

I’m looking to get an ASP collapsible baton. I will be carrying it, concealed in a pocket or on a belt under a jacket. What length is best? I thought that the 21” baton would be a good compromise between length and compactness. What do you think?
Old September 10, 2002, 08:35 PM   #2
LBC

Yes, that is what I chose for my wife to carry while walking the baby and for me when I travel out of state. Cut some newspaper to the different ASP lengths, roll it up, tape it, and try swinging it at a friend simulating an attacker. You'll get a good idea of what is too little and what is just right.
Old September 10, 2002, 08:51 PM   #3
KPS

I think 21" is a good compromise for carry.I went with 21" also and felt comfortable with it.It ended up becoming a burden to carry along with my CCW so I switched to Fox spray.
Old September 10, 2002, 10:52 PM   #4
Blackhawk

If I could, I'd go for 21".

Alas, they're apparently not legal here except for home use....
Old September 11, 2002, 01:05 PM   #5
krept

I bought the 16" one because it was on sale for $29. In retrospect I would have gone with the 21" version as the little extra length might come in handy. 16" is very useful too, but I wouldn't really go bigger than 21".
Old September 13, 2002, 10:13 PM   #6
Gomez

I'm partial to a 21-inch Airweight, particularly the DuraTec model. The DuraTec has the same rubber grip that's called a Fed-Grip when it's on a steel handled baton. Don't ask me why ASP feels the need to obsfuscate it's product catalogue like that, but they do!!

Gomez
Old September 16, 2002, 11:25 AM   #7
OutLaw

I have a 16" because it was the cheapest,If I had to do it over,I'd go 21".
Old September 16, 2002, 08:13 PM   #8
A10mmguy

I prefer my 16". I like being close to my target when I thump em.
Old September 16, 2002, 10:41 PM   #9
old_yout

I carried a 21" for ages and felt fine. It was a good size and certainly sufficient. That said, I carry a 31". I know, it may seem a little silly to carry that, but 1. it was a gift and 2. I hardly notice the extra weight. It conceals just as easily for me and when I think about it, the extra 10" reach advantage is comforting. Not that I'm recommending the 31" over the 21", but I think it's a viable option.
S
Old September 18, 2002, 08:55 PM   #10
Gomez

old_yout:

More power to you! Actually, I've got one of the 31-inch monsters, but it handles like a fishing pole. When they first came out, I was training in Pekiti Tersia using 33-inch rattan sticks, so I figured "an ASP that was the same (almost) length as my sticks, cool". But I just could not adjust to the balance and feel of the 31-inch ASP. The 26 is nice, if a little large and weighty, for everyday concealed carry. The 16's not bad, but I consider it more of a dull knife than a stick (reach of a large fixed blade knife with no edge). The 21, particularly the Airweight, just gives me a "warm and fuzzy" that I don't get from the others. It's long enough to reach out and it's light enough that I always have it tucked in my waistband.

Gomez
Old September 19, 2002, 04:50 PM   #11
pbarrick

I would opt for the 21" ASP, preferably an Airweight.

The 16" is useful but it lacks the comforting feel of a weapon with more distance to it and the handling characteristics aren't truly stick-like.

I carry a 16" Airweight at the office (appendix carry with my shirt bloused over it--discreetly at hand, if needed) but I prefer the extra distance and characteristics of the 21" Airweight.

I carried a 16" Steel ASP for a long time and I find that the Airweights are worth the weight savings.
Cutting Edge Training Across the U.S.A.
http://www.optionsforpersonalsecurity.com
Toll Free 1.877.636.4677