The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights > Legal and Political

Old September 5, 2002, 06:48 AM   #1
agricola

shocking but partially welcome news from greece

sorry to do a drizzt on you but youse may not have heard about this yet:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/2238242.stm

Greeks fight computer game ban

Gamers have been arrested for playing Counter-Strike

Gamers in Greece are preparing to fight legislation which bans them from playing any electronic game in public.
The Greek Government has banned games on computers and consoles like the Xbox and Playstation in internet cafes and other public establishments.

The legislation came into force at the end of July as part of a policy to clamp down on illegal gambling in the country.

But the law has been criticised for not making a distinction between interactive gambling and computer games.

"Theoretically the police can arrest you if you are using your PC for playing games or if your employer catches you playing chess or backgammon on Yahoo," said a statement from the Greek Internet Café Union which is fighting the ban.

Laughable

The whole matter could remain in the sphere of comedy if it didn't concern directly the employment of thousands

Greek Internet Cafe Union
The first case of its kind will come before the Greek courts next week following the arrest of two people who allowed gamers to play the popular online game, Counter-Strike.

They face fines of 150,000 euros (£95,000) and up to 12 months imprisonment.

"The whole matter could remain in the sphere of comedy if it didn't concern directly the employment of thousands of people," said the Greek Internet Café Union.

"In China they prohibit access to political sites, in some other countries prevent connection to sites of sexual content and in Greece it is illegal to use personal computers and games consoles for playing games," it continued.

If the letter of the law is enforced, the union said the next stage would be to ban the selling of games and legal action against Microsoft to remove games from the Greek version of Windows.

Online voices

The gaming community has accused the government of taking the country back to the 1970s when individuals were arrested for playing cards at home.

Along with owners of Greece's many internet cafes, it is determined to make its voice heard.

Greek gaming site www.gameland.gr has launched an online petition against the ban and has had 14,000 signatures so far.

A gaming tournament planned in Greece this week has been relocated to Oslo.

unbelievable no? that said i agree with people getting fined for playing counterstrike - surely the most overhyped game of all time, they should all be locked away with Operation Flashpoint and confess their sins.
pete wylie: " I've never had a fight in me life. But after 40 years of living as a half-decent human being I gained a criminal record for doing my Joe Pesci thing. But it was Joe Pesci played by Michael Crawford."
Old September 5, 2002, 07:25 AM   #2
Marko Kloos
Staff

Quote:
that said i agree with people getting fined for playing counterstrike - surely the most overhyped game of all time, they should all be locked away with Operation Flashpoint and confess their sins.
Heh heh...we're actually in agreement for once, agricola.

That said, the Greek government is apparently fiercely determined to wind the clocks back a few decades. It's hard to justify the incarceration of someone who's minding his own business and playing Tetris on his Gameboy at the street corner. (Although I think that some communities here in the US would applaud such a law as "landmark legislation".) What's next, outlaw dancing and laughing?

the munchkin wrangler.
Old September 5, 2002, 12:54 PM   #3
MeekAndMild

Gee, I dunno Aggie. It would seem right that anything which might interfere with the government's ability to get a full day's work from everyone should be stamped out. I don't know about you, but I get really ticked off when I think somebody might be wasting energy doing something which is not for the common good. After all it is the Queen's air they're breathing.
In a few years when the dust finally clears and people start counting their change there is a pretty good chance that President Obama may become known as The Great Absquatulator. You heard it first here on TFL.
Old September 5, 2002, 01:16 PM   #4
MitchSchaft

Operation Flashpoint is awesome.

www.1stbattalion8thmarines.com
Old September 5, 2002, 01:17 PM   #5
Ben Swenson

Ag,

At least you have a good taste in games. I'm looking forward to getting Operation Flashpoint 2.

--

Don't you think that since this law was created by the individuals that the people of Greece elected, it is a good law because the people are willingly giving up their right to play electronic games? I mean, they're just as free as anyone else because they have chosen to give up the ability to play games on their computer, right? Games should be restricted because they do more harm than good. A drain on national productivity, you know.

Besides, only 14,000 people are willing to sign a petition to get rid of the law? Heck, there are more people on TFL than that.

(*grin*)
Old September 5, 2002, 04:49 PM   #6
Destructo6

Simply amazing. Was illegal gambling so objectionable in the first place to make such a severe law? If so, why stop at only public playing?

You know, CounterStrike wasn't so bad when it first came out. Rampant cheating, taunting, and general idiocy made it the nasty thing it is now.

Hopefully, the votekick, autokick, and other features of America's Army will prevent the same thing happening to it.

When's OFP2 coming out? I've played the whole series several times, Resistance being a significant improvement, and am hungry for more.

Keep all of them clean.
Old September 5, 2002, 06:50 PM   #7
Kharn

The Gunsnet chatroom (IRC: #generaldiscussion on www.gunsnet.net:6667) has like one or two OpFlash:Resistance games a week, usually ~8-10pm EST. Its a lot of fun to hunt down and shoot the guy that one-upped your smart-ass comment on a "Caption This Picture" thread.

Kharn
Old September 5, 2002, 08:41 PM   #8
MP Freeman

Medal of Honor - Allied Assualt.

Fun, fun, fun.

MPF
Old September 5, 2002, 11:04 PM   #9
Drizzt

A couple of my guys at work are recommending Battleground 1942 (? I think that's what it was called?), but I've not had the chance to peruse it myself. Sticking with the Black Isle RPGs for the time being.

How did my name get caught up in this anyhow....?
"That a free citizen should have to go before a committee, hat in hand, and pray for permission to bear arms - fantastic! Arm your daughter, sir, and pay no attention to petty bureaucrats." Robert Heinlein - Red Planet
Old September 5, 2002, 11:13 PM   #10
agricola

the demo of battlefield 1942 does look very good
pete wylie: " I've never had a fight in me life. But after 40 years of living as a half-decent human being I gained a criminal record for doing my Joe Pesci thing. But it was Joe Pesci played by Michael Crawford."