The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old September 4, 2002, 04:01 PM   #1
sven

Stripper Clips for Pistol Magazines?

Well, I did some searching and didn't see this question yet:

Is it possible to use stripper clips to load pistol magazines? If not, why not?

It seems to me that the primary limitation in a SHTF situation would be reloading time. Of course, a pistol would be used as a 'backup' in such a situation, but... if you were in an extended firefight with pistols, the thought occurs to me: how could you reload mags quickly - thus this inquiry.

Any other insights into quick reloading of pistol magazines would be appreciated - tools, tips, etc.

Thanks,

-sven
Old September 4, 2002, 04:13 PM   #2
9x45

Just buy more mags...
Old September 4, 2002, 04:33 PM   #3
sven

Sounds like a fellow 10-round-limited Californian to me!
Old September 4, 2002, 05:22 PM   #4
Redlg155

Using stripper clips to load magazines just never really caught on. I haven't seen one in quite some time. I believe the last time I saw a "modern" one was with the Grendel. I believe the model was the P10 or something like that. It used M16 stripper clips.

I would suggest that you just buy enough magazines and have them pre loaded. An extended fight with pistols is not a very good idea. It's far better to use them to fight your way so that you can get some serious weaponry.

There are some aftermarket mag loaders out there, but they are designed more for loading mags on the range and not for tactical use.

Now a kind of a "stripper" clip for revolvers is a good idea, such as Bianchi's speed strip. It makes carrying a reload much more comfortable and easier than carrying a conventional speedloader.

Ohh..forgot to add..I believe the Grendel had an internal non removable magazine if I'm not mistaken.

Good SHooting
RED

Last edited by Redlg155; September 4, 2002 at 07:33 PM.
Old September 4, 2002, 06:31 PM   #5
ronin308

You should have at least 10 mags for your chosen pistol anyway. 30 would be even better
Old September 4, 2002, 06:47 PM   #6
Walt Sherrill

Most detachable pistol magazines aren't made to accept something like a stripper clip -- since you must push each round in and then down. A stripper clip wouldn't work...
Old September 4, 2002, 11:17 PM   #7
croyance

Offhand I cannot think of any pistol design where the detachable box magazine takes a stripper clip. The Broomhandle Mauser took a stripper clip, but the magazine was not detachable.
Look at it this way, you need to load up a stripper clip also. I don't see the time savings. If I had the foresight to preload a stripper clip, I could load a bunch of magazines instead.
Besides, think of the extra size & corresponding weight and bulk that adds to a magazine.
Who walks around with loose rounds and spare stripper clips? Police carry about 6 magazines - seems like plenty to me. For CHL holders it seems like 1 or 2 magazines are standard.
Average firefights last a magazine full or less. Time wise I believe less than a minute is average. Even in extra ordinary circumstances like the North Hollywood bank robbery or the infamous Miami firefight, the sheer amount of available ammunition was not an issue. The effectiveness of issue weapons and the availability of better, more effective weapons was. For a civilian in a situation like that, it would seem that the action passes by faster than they would run out of ammunition.
Old September 5, 2002, 01:51 AM   #8
sven

Thanks for the excellent information.
Old September 5, 2002, 02:05 AM   #9
9x19

As already mentioned, it has to do with the design of pistol mags vs. (military) rifle mags.

With a rifle, the magazine is not tapered at the top, the feed lips are spaced far apart, and the top round is held by only one, either right or left, and the rounds feed alternately from each side, rather than from the center of the mag. There is enough of a gap between the lips that a cartridge may pass thru. The follower has a molded top that forces that first round to one side, then the additional rounds alternate because of the first round's position. This same method is used in virtually all bolt action hunting rifles, which is why you can push rounds straight down into the magazine with the bolt open.

With a pistol magazine, it is tapered at the top and both feed lips are used to hold the top round in a centered position. There is not enough room between them for a cartridge to pass, so it would be impossible to feed them straight down into the mag from a stripper clip.